-Renton-

True Ouddict
I was wondering, could you get a cheap Japanese sandalwood stick and dip it in some Oud oil that isn't too expensive (I was thinking of Thai Khiao) and get an oudy smell, upon lighting (in a good way ofc)? If so how would you do it without getting TOO much Oud on the stick?

This may seem silly, but its a thought that popped up and I thought it would be interesting

Zazu

True Ouddict
A word of caution, I would be super careful lighting a stick that I had dipped myself, or take precautions. Some oils/liquids are flammable. You don't want to torch down your house.

Other than that, I think Dr. Incense was selling sticks dipped in oud, iirc. :)

zahir

Ouducation Student
I would personally thing that it's doable. They do use oils when making incense sticks. Dr. Incense recently started adding agarwood oil to some of his incense sticks as well. As for the method: I would guess that instead of dipping, try to spread it across somehow and let it sit so that the oil has had time to absorb into the stick.

Yes, spread just a little, don’t dip the stick or it may not stay lit when burning. Try a plastic toothpick dipped in the oil then spread it sparingly. I did this with my ambergris tincture, but I applied the tincture over 3mm of length, then skipped the next 3mm, then apply again, then skip again, that way there were moments that the incense burned without the ambergris, and other moments where the ambergris kicked in👊🤪

Allow it to dry though, and know that the stick may warp.

-Renton-

True Ouddict
Yes, spread just a little, don’t dip the stick or it may not stay lit when burning. Try a plastic toothpick dipped in the oil then spread it sparingly. I did this with my ambergris tincture, but I applied the tincture over 3mm of length, then skipped the next 3mm, then apply again, then skip again, that way there were moments that the incense burned without the ambergris, and other moments where the ambergris kicked in👊🤪

What does warping mean and look like?

-Renton-

True Ouddict

How long does it take to dry, like how long would you leave it before its good to go? And how would I put the stick that is drying (lying it down would seem kinda pointless as the oil would go onto the countertop/table)? Maybe into an incense holder?

-Renton-

True Ouddict
Update: I just used the first out of 2 oils I ever got, a Jianfengling one, and used a very thin dip stick and just dipped it and put the oil on a low range of Seijudo Sandalwood sticks carefully with the thin plastic dipstick. ]

Photos of the sticks and the stick drying;

Black nail because of ash getting in them all the time, I gave up along time ago and I havent even started 😂😂😂.

Last edited:

-Renton-

True Ouddict
You're exposing a dried stick to moisture, so without something to force it to hold its shape, think about the incense molds or trays used when drying incense sticks, it'll warp or become curved
Ahh, thank you. I put the cheap Jianfengling on the stick now and how long do you think I should wait for it to dry? Around 1-2hrs?

-Renton-

True Ouddict
A word of caution, I would be super careful lighting a stick that I had dipped myself, or take precautions. Some oils/liquids are flammable. You don't want to torch down your house.

Other than that, I think Dr. Incense was selling sticks dipped in oud, iirc. :)
I don't think oud oils have any alcohol or anything in them, they wouldnt even use them as cutting agents because alcohol is such a profound scent and can be smelled from miles away (especially us Scots can ;) )

-Renton-

True Ouddict
Damn this is interesting. It is really nice, the oil was done (I think) quite well, it is a strong Jianfengling smell with the sandalwood in the background lol. Woah this is cool!!!! The oil actually smells better like this than on my hand!!!

Actually its taken over the sandalwood abit haha.

Last edited:
How long does it take to dry, like how long would you leave it before its good to go? And how would I put the stick that is drying (lying it down would seem kinda pointless as the oil would go onto the countertop/table)? Maybe into an incense holder?
Time to dry depends on how wet. To dry, I shored my stick on top of a few toothpicks.

Ibn Abdillah

True Ouddict
I was wondering, could you get a cheap Japanese sandalwood stick and dip it in some Oud oil that isn't too expensive (I was thinking of Thai Khiao) and get an oudy smell, upon lighting (in a good way ofc)? If so how would you do it without getting TOO much Oud on the stick?

This may seem silly, but its a thought that popped up and I thought it would be interesting

Maybe better to put a drop of oudh with your dipstick on the Japanse sandalwood stick, instead of dipping the sandalwood stick in the oudh bottle.

I have done it a couple of times with some cheap oudh chips which I had bought as a bad bargain years ago.
Put a drop of a strong oudh on the cheap oudh chips and let them soak at least some hours (more is better)
the result was astonishing, the oudh chips immediately rose a few grades😂 and the whole house smelled wonderful