ParadiseofOils

True Ouddict
What kind of electric burner/heater do you use for your wood/Incense/bakhoor?

Post a pic.

I'm looking for a new one for personal use and looking for suggestions. I remember the one Habz posted in the chipping dusting thread from eBay it looks good. Post a link to where you can get it as well if you can please. Would like a few options before jumping into getting one. Prefer one I can control the temperature.

Ashfaque

Jonoon al Oud
For the moment it's the round coal thingy in simple bowl. Mica plates are on their way, so it should improve the experience.

But I'm thinking of making my own using KyaraZen's tutorial.

However, ideally I'd like to get hold of this from Yamada-Matsu. It runs on both main and battery. I don't know any UK/EU source for this. :(

Reactions: KHH

Ashfaque

Jonoon al Oud
I now use mica plates over coal too. They give a better feel of the aromas coming out of the woods / resins , (as there is less pollution from smoke ). The woods n resins last longer too. :)

@Ashfaque : have you tried using Mako powder ?
Nop! Read an article about it few months ago, probably at KZ's blog. Too much work for me! Instead I made a subtism burner, which is lot easier to deal with. I've also posted mica plate template and shared some possible issues one may face during making one here.

In short, it's fun and I get lot more from a tiny chips (say less 0.5 cm by 0.5 cm) than I can ever imagine from using with coconut/typical charcoal. I can also pick the exact time when the smell changes, which is lot more difficult with charcoal, if not impossible as it burns the whole chip pretty quickly. However, if one wants to fragrant their clothes, or fragrant a large room with lots of people, then coal is the best thing - lot simpler too.

Last edited:

KHH

Oud Beginner
In short, it's fun and I get lot more from a tiny chips (say less 0.5 cm by 0.5 cm) than I can ever imagine from using with coconut/typical charcoal. I can also pick the exact time when the smell changes, which is lot more difficult with charcoal, if not impossible as it burns the whole chip pretty quickly. However, if one wants to fragrant their clothes, or fragrant a large room with lots of people, then coal is the best thing - lot simpler too.
TRUE !!

Mako .. it sounds too much work - correct... but it gives you the chance to play around with various spice and wood powders and oils too , as it burns at a much lower heat than coal. I mean if you are into raw ingredients for incense.

Could anyone recommend where I can get a dish to place the subtism heater in? Also any recommendation on where to purchase longer pigtail wires?
The bigger Daiso Stores have quite a bit of ceramic plates.
I have 32AWG and 28AWG Nichrome 80 wire. Let me know how many feet you need:Thumbsup:

KHH

Oud Beginner
this one just came in / its got a variable temp. controller / hope it will work :D:D
+some more goodies !

Attachments

• burner1.jpg
    burner1.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 482

Faizal_p

Sulaym.co.uk
As you may know I've been making heaters on and off, some people have shown interest but I haven't had the time until now. These are possibly the best ones I've made, digital voltage readout and control, burner encased in a beautiful glass box with suede insert.
There'll be 3 available and 1 wooden box heater (slightly cheaper).
First come first served...
IMG_20180825_081819_250.jpg
IMG_20180825_081819_251.jpg

Woodland Note

True Ouddict
I'm wondering what is an ideal temperature to slowly burn chips. KyaraZen advises something below 270C on the mica plate surface, one ouddict member was mentioning he likes to bake his chips in 150C from all sides (ambient temperature) for an hour. Hmm... Hmm..

Rasoul Salehi

True Ouddict
I'm wondering what is an ideal temperature to slowly burn chips. KyaraZen advises something below 270C on the mica plate surface, one ouddict member was mentioning he likes to bake his chips in 150C from all sides (ambient temperature) for an hour. Hmm... Hmm..
No hard and fast answers. It depends. On the wood. On the thickness. On the grade. On your own mood and what you want. Generally though lower then higher is the name of the game. I start the most fragrant pieces at no more than 90. 150-180 is my fave for listening. 300+ is for smoking and scenting the room or after the close listening session is over

@WN
I couldn’t agree more with RS.

Also, do a lot of experimenting.

For lower heat I recommend smaller slivers or a fine grind at just enough temp to release a gentle aroma, sit back, relax or contemplate.

For a quick blast, higher heat, but watch your balance, because your head might spin.

Even when fumigating at high temp, make adjustments for the size and type of wood, expect some bitterness from the combustion of wood fibers.

I don’t recommend inhaling the smoke, enjoy from a distance.

Some chips are more aromatic than others, but if you want buckets full of aroma, more wood will be necessary.

Ashfaque

Jonoon al Oud
- I leave the regulator to a level when I can smell the aroma, but cannot see the smoke. It is typcally between 8.5-9.5 volts on my DIY unit. That way I can enjoy the chip way longer (some for 60+ minutes). This also allows me to notice how the smell changes over time.
- If the chip is thicker (or I'm too lazy to make it thinner), I'll increase the voltage upto 10.5 volts at a later stage when I can't smell anything. Again, following my 'smell & smoke' method.

Last edited:

Woodland Note

True Ouddict
I'm in process of building mine, it's fun! :D I got already basic stuff working, 4 long threaded screws on piece of plywood, perfectly measured, and heating wire coils, it's working. XD The heating area will be quite small 24mm x 39mm, but I made it intentionally to have cheap and continuous supply of mica plates. I figured out this is still decent size and yet it’s quite widely available because it matches the size of some popular transistor insulators. Power supply for now will be 3X 1865o batteries, giving 12,4v. I used also different kind of heating wire than the one in kiarazen tutorial but it’s as fine as nichrome 80, just a bit different parameters (resistance etc) so a different length will be used, same diameter though. Right now I’m, struggling with making it esthetically pleasing and I’ m waiting for mica plates. I’m wondering also about using copper sheet instead of mica. However then some heat resistant insulator would still be needed to make the metal sheet electrically insulated from the screws. Hmm... Once it’s finished and working I will take a few pics. :Thumbsup:

Last edited:

Ashfaque

Jonoon al Oud
@Woodland Note I hope you're using (lithium) 18650 batteries that come with protection circuit. Please share some photos and details once you've finished.

Ideally, I'd love to make one with AC/DC and wireless control features. But for that I need to brush up my very basic Arduino skills - too lazy now! lol

Last edited:

Woodland Note

True Ouddict
@Woodland Note I hope you're using (lithium) 18650 batteries that come with protection circuit. Please share some photos and details once you've finished.

Ideally, I'd love to make one with AC/DC and wireless control features. But for that I need to brush up my very basic Arduino skills - too lazy now! lol

I doubt those ones are, they are recovered from old laptop battery unit. No worries though, this is only temporary solution and precautions are taken. I realize I’m basically short-circuiting them... Perhaps though the short circuit is not so short, I was operating this for a few minutes and I did not notice any heating up in batteries, so perhaps the resistance is quite enough here to prevent any problems. I would also not leave this on unattended. ;)