Ouddict

Ouddict Co-Founder & Tech Support
Apart from stating the obvious..........i have a blend from @Sultan Pasha called Al Hareem and the rose used in that is so lovely

Hahaahaha... sorry I couldn't help it. You really set yourself up for that one.

Regarding the difference, I find that Taif Rose is full-bodied and has a "golden" note, amongst others - if you subscribe to "notes as colours" descriptive language. It is a complex rose oil. Bulgarian Rose is more linear and floral in comparison.

F4R1d0uX

Resident Artisan
Hahaahaha... sorry I couldn't help it. You really set yourself up for that one.

Regarding the difference, I find that Taif Rose is full-bodied and has a "golden" note, amongst others - if you subscribe to "notes as colours" descriptive language. It is a complex rose oil. Bulgarian Rose is more linear and floral in comparison.

I find Taifi fruity citrussy, when added into fine hindi oud it add a delicious red fruity smell to the rose

F4R1d0uX

Resident Artisan
this a good place to buy pure Bulgarian otto or absolutes, in Bulgaria you will not find any pure oil in the stores
http://bulgarianroseotto.com/

Thank you my friend it was to this site actualy but I will may chose a unique origin rose ...
Bulgarian is very nice but I want something people would say wow rose from this country ?

Al Shareef Oudh

Master Perfumer
Like most things of value Ta'ifi rose is not free of counterfeits, adulterated and stretched oils. There is a very simple test for rose ottos and that is the freeze test, rose otto becomes solid at around 6C. This is the simplest test to see if the oil at hand is a pure otto or a solvent extract. Keeping in mind that there is more solvent extract oil produced by the rose farm than there is the otto. The solvent extracts a lot more from the petals than just the oil. Later through a more involved process this extract in turned into oil, this oil doesnt freeze at 6c.

The colour of the otto is light, Bulgarian otto is nearly like water colour (colourless). Ta'ifi rose ranges from green to yellow, again not sharp strong colours but pale shades. The colour to look for which is associated with the highest quality Ta'ifi rose, is pale greeny/yellow it is a shade that is between green and yellow, please see attached pic. This was from our 2015 season oil.
View attachment 378

InshaAllah we will be releasing our 2017 oil soon once we complete distilling in Ta'if end of April early May.

Ta'ifi rose that is more yellow is older oils. Those that are very green are new oils that had too much stem when the roses were picked.

Solvent extracted oils have sharper brighter colours closer to the colour of the actual rose they came from.

These are simple on the spot checks that you can do when you purchase the oils.

Ta'if Al Habibah, Beloved Ta'if - the 2017 season is coming to an end, most the roses have been picked and the distillation is well underway, my cousins from the Al Qurashi tribe in Ta'if are finalising our oils for this season.
Ta'if 2017.jpg

InshaAllah within the next few weeks we will release this years Ta'ifi Rose oil (otto). Please note for larger orders we are taking them now via email [email protected]

abu abdullaah

Oud Beginner
1) what does otto mean/represent?

2) someone said that the potency of taifi rose oil smell detiorates over time and thats why freshly pressed oil is expensive and the older it gets the cheaper it becomes. is this correct?

3) just out of curiosity, jawed would you know approximately how much much taifi rose oil is pressed each year( meaning in total by everyone not just yourselves)?

Last edited:

Ouddict

Ouddict Co-Founder & Tech Support

2) someone said that the potency of taifi rose oil smell detiorates over time and thats why freshly pressed oil is expensive and the older it gets the cheaper it becomes. is this correct?

I have a 2012 ASAQ Taif Supreme in my collection. Can't say I have noticed any degradation.

However, florals are not the same as Oud and I don't think, they improve with age in the same way and long term, they do deteriorate depending on the exposure to oxygen from what I have read.

F4R1d0uX

Resident Artisan
I have a 2012 ASAQ Taif Supreme in my collection. Can't say I have noticed any degradation.

However, florals are not the same as Oud and I don't think, they improve with age in the same way and long term, they do deteriorate depending on the exposure to oxygen from what I have read.

You are right ! It becomes less percent tho !

F4R1d0uX

Resident Artisan

3) just out of curiosity, jawed would you know approximately how much much taifi rose oil is pressed each year( meaning in total by everyone not just yourselves)?

I dont know if it was the hint, but I had doubt too like is there enough for the whole market ?

A brother from Madinah told me there is A LOT ...

For me Taifi was adultered with bulgarian or something like that...

Dont know if it answered to your interrogation + it was not directed to me but if you had that feeling know that this brother has 0 interrest on rose oil and he is trustable.

peter4ptv

There are three methods of extracting the essential oil from rose petals:

1. Hydro Distillation: Rose petals (usually from the Rosa damascena plant) are placed in a container with pure water then slowly heated. The warm water allows the flowers to release their essential oil. The steam and essential oil pass through a cooling process and finally to a container where the oils float on the surface. The essential oil is collected and sold as Rose Otto. The watery liquid that remains is called Rose Hydrosol. Rose Otto tends to have a clear to very pale yellow color and a light, gentle aroma which lends itself well to wearing it as a perfume. This product crystalizes when cold due to plant waxes.

2. Solvent Extraction: Solvent extraction happens in three stages, which I’ll share in a highly abbreviated version. First, the rose petals are placed in a drum with an organic solvent, usually hexane or toluene, and rotated. This draws out the aromatic portion of the petals. When the hexane has evaporated, what remains is a thick, waxy substance called a concrete (not used by aromatherapists). Next, the waxes and non-aromatic components are filtered out of the concrete with ethanol alcohol, leaving behind an aromatic liquid we call Rose Absolute.

Solvent extraction gives a greater yield than distillation which is why Rose Absolute tends to be less expensive than Rose Otto. The color of Rose absolute tends to be a dark orange to red with an intense, pungent rose aroma. It is preferred by perfumers and said to be closer in fragrance to the flower than an otto.

3. Supercritical Carbon Dioxide Extraction: This is an expensive process involving some highly sophisticated equipment, but which offers superior oil. The rose oil extracted by this is considered truest to the original fragrance in the flower, and may be called an absolute or a CO2.

abu abdullaah

Oud Beginner
I dont know if it was the hint, but I had doubt too like is there enough for the whole market ?

Dont know if it answered to your interrogation + it was not directed to me but if you had that feeling know that this brother has 0 interrest on rose oil and he is trustable.

no offence but whats all this about?

1) i wasnt doubting anything or anyone

2)i wasnt interrogating anyone, i just had a few questions.

3)no problem with you or anyone else answering.

4) i wasnt questioning jaweds 'o interrest' or his trustworthiness. how did you come to that conclusion ? i take it english isnt your first language?

AbasFrag

Oud Burner
no offence but whats all this about?

1) i wasnt doubting anything or anyone

2)i wasnt interrogating anyone, i just had a few questions.

3)no problem with you or anyone else answering.

4) i wasnt questioning jaweds 'o interrest' or his trustworthiness. how did you come to that conclusion ? i take it english isnt your first language?

Assalamo Aleykom akhil aziz!

I hope everything is fine with you.

Sorry @F4R1d0uX for answering but just want to stop fitna.

To answer you brother I just want to say I think you misunderstood his reply. He simply ment:

1. He was in chock because taifi rose only comes from taif and there is a huge demand for it all over the world. . So he thought: Is there really enough oil for the demand of it?? :eek:

2. This is a pure misunderstanding and I blame you @F4R1d0uX for this one :Cautious:

But he only wanted to help you by answering your questions I guess

3. Alhamdulillah :)

4. I read his comment over and over again and couldn't really get how you interpreted it like that. He is only recommending brother (Alshareef). Because maybe you don't know him.

And maybe I do understand him better because both of us have English and second or third language :)

JazaakAllahu kheir akhi