-Renton-

True Ouddict
Absolute ethanol (200 proof) is hygroscopic but that is remedied by storing it over 3 angstrom molecular sieves. The constant boiling azeotrope is 190 proof, the highest obtainable by distilling an alcohol water mix.
The zeolite/sieve gets it the rest of the way.

Here in the US, SD40 alcohol is used in fine fragrance. It costs about $2/liter by the 55 gallon drum.
I am guessing you are a chemist? I found that the hardest studying pharmacology, was too mentally ill to go ahead with that though. Now I study it because it is a thing I grasped at a young age and find it fascinating (pharmacology, and also chemistry, but chemistry hurts my brain lol).

-Renton-

True Ouddict
I try to use that is the least harsh smelling

Also, as I have been told, a 200 proof alcohol will drop to 190-195 proof as soon as it's opened and is exposed to the air :)
Too expensive. Would this do? https://liquidessences.co/product/o...AK4w003ojAtLrQn9t8EjLQ668QvQiHGRoCGKUQAvD_BwE

Olfactory Nomad

True Ouddict
So, awhile ago I seen this video by KyaraZen: https://www.instagram.com/p/Cvy0vC8IH9n/ and I have TONS (over 300g) of sandalwood powder, good quality too, Mysore Sandalwood powder, and a ton of sandalwood oil I can use for just the perfumes. Now I have plastic long thin bottles instead of a short thick one, is this okay to use? Another question, what is that stuff at the bottom that he is not taking out at the end of the video? Should I avoid at all costs to take that out? Where can I buy that syringe looking thing he uses, if anyone can tell me what it is that would be great, I know what pipettes are but this looks more like a lab pipette, is that what it is? And would 100ml of this perfumers alcohol be enough for 3-4 batches just to try start doing it and try them out, or do I need the 1000ml? https://scentscientists.com/products/perfumers-alcohol-100ml?variant=41387624235184 .

If you have any tips please share, I am looking to make a strong sandalwood perfume and then when I get used to making stuff like this I want to add ouds, rose, attars from Temple of Incense (a UK Indian incense company that also sells attars), the reason I want to mix attars with the sandalwood is simply experimenting, and obviously some frankincense E.O that I already have like 50-100ml of.

Please, any help is appreciated and will be thanked.

Thank you in advance. :)
Nice! I didn't realise it was that easy. I might do the same.

I am guessing you are a chemist? I found that the hardest studying pharmacology, was too mentally ill to go ahead with that though. Now I study it because it is a thing I grasped at a young age and find it fascinating (pharmacology, and also chemistry, but chemistry hurts my brain lol).
I am.

Best to use SD40 alcohol if tax free absolute is unavailable for the usual draconian reasons…

-Renton-

True Ouddict
Well, my friend, the markup is crazy. From Brenntag or Univar, themselves likely supplied by ADM, it’s $3-4/gallon without the taxes but that’s by the tote

Olfactory Nomad

True Ouddict
Have just bottled up my sandalwood perfume attempt. It's pretty bloody good actually. Ingredients are Australian sandalwood, Vanilla absolute, Rose absolute, Benzoin resin and honey.

Attachments

• PXL_20240215_021119237.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20240215_021119237.PORTRAIT.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 35
  • PXL_20240215_021522646.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240215_021522646.MP.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 32

Olfactory Nomad

True Ouddict
Oh, great work mate. Did you use the KyaraZen video, or did it a different way? Just seen this there.
Cheers! No, I think I did this before I saw that video however I am currently doing an ethanol soak as per the video with some S.Album powder. I've had 10g of the powder soaking for a few days now with the occasional shake up. I might filter it out today and give it another soak.

Attachments

• PXL_20240311_223747323.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240311_223747323.MP.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 19

-Renton-

True Ouddict
Cheers! No, I think I did this before I saw that video however I am currently doing an ethanol soak as per the video with some S.Album powder. I've had 10g of the powder soaking for a few days now with the occasional shake up. I might filter it out today and give it another soak.
It looks ready, bro. Just get a syringe type thing (seen in the video) and get all the liquid at the top out and put it in another bottle and add around 0.25-0.75ml of sandalwood oil.

Goodness Nose

True Ouddict
i just posted a thread in General called "Aussie Sandalwood tincture continued" that has a step by step on how i did this! i hope its helpful. im surprised at how different the oil is compared to steam distillation. I'll definitely be doing this again! your projects all look so cool :)

Olfactory Nomad

True Ouddict
i just posted a thread in General called "Aussie Sandalwood tincture continued" that has a step by step on how i did this! i hope its helpful. im surprised at how different the oil is compared to steam distillation. I'll definitely be doing this again! your projects all look so cool :)
As a perfume it's turned out very nice. I've also added some castoreum tincture to top it off.