Handcrafted Incense – Age Nerikoh Balls ++ Oud Tea

Discussion in 'Natural Perfumes, Oils & Blends for Sale' started by VPhong, Jan 27, 2018.

1. VPhong

VPhong Oud Tea

1 Packaged Age Nerikoh Incense 10g and 20g.jpg
    //
    Dear Oddicts,
    I have recently completed a small batch of Nerikoh incense and would like to offer it to the community here. I started making this batch in January of 2017 so it has taken me 1 year to complete. This unique and high quality incense presents a rich and purity of scent that can only be credited to the quality of the raw natural materials and traditional process. Heating one little incense ball will provide scent to a small room for easily over an hour. This batch of Nerikoh incense was intentionally crafted with the potential for long term aging and with time the aromas will transform and mature into something very special.
    I will provide additional details below.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    All Natural / No Synthetic Oils / No Fillers / No Chemical Binders / No Powdered Wood / High Quality Raw Materials / 1 Year Curing in Storage / Small Batch Production / Handmade using Rudimentary Tools to Best Preserve the Intrinsic Qualities of the Aromatic Wood and Resin

Nerikoh is a form of traditional kneaded incense that was once renowned in ancient Japan. Its scent was highly regarded and the heating and appreciation of Nerikoh was enjoyed by the nobility and upper class in Japan. The recipes for Nerikoh were diverse consisting of many kinds of fragrant woods, resins, herbs, etc. that would be meticulously pummeled and kneaded into a paste and aged. The aging of Nerikoh could vary from years to over a decade and would often rely on high quality honey to cure and help preserve the ingredients.

Following in the old ways of making Nerikoh I utilized basic rudimentary tools and high quality ingredients with the intent of allowing the quality of the natural materials to shine. The primary ingredients include Green Omani Frankincense and a blend of fragrant woods made into a paste and cured in dark honey for 1 year. It is a luxury of scent that was handcrafted without sparing any effort. No fillers were added to deceptively create an illusion of bulk and no wood or resin powder was used. As a result there is a wonderful richness and potency in the aroma. One small Nerikoh ball will emit a beautiful aroma that can fill a small enclosed room for easily over an hour under gentle heat. The aroma provides a soothing, sweet and uplifting scent that comes in 2 phases. The uplifting scent of Green Omani Frankincense is first to appear spreading waves of citrus, pine and eucalyptus notes into the air. After a time the denser and more substantial heart note releases warm spicy wood tones, dark honey with balancing touches of mild tartness and a hint of bitter. The early beginnings of age appear in the darkening complexion. It is a luxury of scent and one that brings out the uniqueness and beauty of artisanal handcrafted incense.

Recommended Heating and Use
    Nerikoh is best suited for gentle heating to coax out the beautiful purity of scents that will take you on an aromatic journey. It is recommended that Nerikoh be used with the electric incense burner or heated under the practice of Japanese Kodo. The incense ball can be pressed down on a mica plate, aluminum foil or metal heating dish for better stability and to provide more surface area for heating. The recommended starting temperature is 140C. A gradual increase can be applied periodically to amplify the scent. After an hour turn the incense so that the top side can come into contact with direct heat. The benefit of gentle heating produces a purity of scent that eliminates visible smoke. Breathing in this natural scent will help bring calm and clarity to the mind.

The scent from Nerikoh incense creates a warming ambience that is ideal for a tea session, meditation, and relaxation. Combining Nerikoh incense and oud chips will introduce a new dimension to the scent. Experiment with adjusting different ratios of Nerikoh/Oud chips to see what works best for you.

Caution and Tip
    Take caution when holding and pressing down on an incense ball as there can be wood splinters. Whilst the process of pummeling the ingredients are beneficial towards preserving more of the natural aroma in the raw materials and contributes to better aging it can leave behind sharp fragments.

My tip for appreciating incense over a long period of time is to step away from the fragrance from time to time. When our sense of smell becomes exposed to a scent over a lengthy period it becomes less sensitive. By stepping away and going out from the room for a few minutes you will be amazed at the scent that greets you upon returning.

Aging and Storage
    Whilst it is perfectly fine to enjoy the Nerikoh incense now the incense was made with the potential for aging and therefore will develop new facets in aroma with time. You may wish to enjoy some now and store some away to allow the aroma to develop and mature for future appreciation. The raw and natural ingredients were carefully selected to be conducive to further aging. Furthermore the utmost care and effort was made in the processing to best preserve the intrinsic quality of the natural ingredients. This incense can be stored for well over a decade and develop very unique aromas. For storage please keep the incense in a cool, dark and clean location away from contamination of bad odors.

Pricing (does not include shipping cost)

10g Nerikoh Incense (20+ incense balls) – US$38.50
    20g Nerikoh Incense (40+ incense balls) – US$70

Please contact me to place an order or customize weight of item. I can be reached by PM or email at varatphong@yahoo.com

The photo set shares the process in crafting Nerikoh Incense

++++++ For tea lovers I am offering 2 unique age teas to be enjoyed alongside this beautiful journey of scent. Please see my 2nd post below for more information.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
    Aleata, Ashfaque, Ouddict and 5 others like this.
  2. VPhong

VPhong Oud Tea

1970s LiuAn Basket Tea.jpg
    Tea Pairing and an Introduction to Oud Tea

This is an offer for tea lovers and for those interested in pursuing new experiences. Not many will know this but one of the reasons that pushed me towards making my own incense was to enhance my tea session with the beauty of scent. As an age tea lover I will take this opportunity to introduce 2 teas that I greatly enjoy alongside this journey of scent.

2005 Gan En Nannuo
    This is a 10+ year old puerh tea. The tea leaves are special in that they come from seed propagated tea trees that are estimated to be several hundred years old. By comparison 90% of the tea commercially sold is from young tea bushes (generally not more than 40-50 years old) grown in tea plantations with the majority consisting of cuttings. The key difference between the 2 is the depth and coverage of the root system for finding rich and diverse nutrients that gets channeled into the tea leaf. The Nannuo is a primitive tea that was minimally processed and therefore the true character of the leaf is allowed to shine. The tea is very natural tasting and has the complexity and nuances of the forest. There are no flashy characteristics. I find this kind of tea to be very fulfilling to drink. The tea has a pleasant relaxing and grounding effect that you should look out for. – This tea is offered in small sample portions of 15g/30g as well as at custom weight.

1970s Liu An Sun Yishun / Oud Tea Combination
    This rare and very old tea has transformed so much that none of the green characteristics of the leaf remains. In Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) it is said that the energy of the tea has transform from Yin (cold energy) to Yang (warm energy). It is this kind of old tea with the essence of Yang that old tea collectors in Hong Kong who have an affiliation with Chen Xiang (oud) would combine with pieces of high quality oud chips to steep. For people who are prone towards the cold and have weak Qi (blood circulation) this combination of oud and old tea was used as a tonic to help warm and boost the body’s circulation. The brew could also be used as medicine to treat anxiety and minor digestive ailments and discomforts. Under TCM oud is viewed as being Yang in nature thus matching with the energy of old tea.

Very old teas are by nature mild tasting but the dark brew feels substantial, and this tea is no exception. The brew possesses a deep sweetness that can be felt at the back of the throat and as you swallow a soft fragrance rises up in the air passage at the back of the nose. This tea presents an age profile of dark herbs, age bamboo tones, musk with notes of Chinese medicine. It is a soothing brew that is very grounding in nature. Embrace the darkness and deep tranquility that this tea offers.

As a result of the high cost associated with old Liu An tea of this quality it is offered in small sample portions as teabags to make the tea more accessible and for convenient preparation. Samples are available in quantities of 2 teabags*/4 teabags*/8 teabags* as well as at custom weight.

The teabags are offered with 2 options so that you can enjoy both experiences –
    1) Option 1 consists of solely the Liu An tea brewed with a piece of bamboo leaf taken from the basket in the traditional way for steeping.
    2) Option 2 combines Liu An tea with a high quality piece of Hindi oud chip. These pieces were sourced from Zak of Agarwood Assam and was categorized as rare pieces. The oud chips have a delicious quality that is bursting with sweetness and spice notes, and combine very well with Liu An tea.

*Each teabag contains 3g of 1970s Liu An tea

Recommended Brewing

2005 Gan En Nannuo
    It is advised that the tea undergoes a quick rinse/wash once. Simply pour hot water over the tea leaves and strain. Using good water that does not contain chlorine or impurities will improve the result of the tea. For those who are practitioners of Gongfu brewing this would be the ideal way to brew this tea. Otherwise the easy way is to teabag roughly a tablespoon of leaves, place it in a cup and pour hot water into the cup. Pour out the rinse and refill your tea cup. Allow the tea to steep and try the tea after every 15-20 seconds and when the strength suits you, take out the teabag and rest it on a dish. When you have finished the tea you can re-steep by reusing the teabag.

Note: You may need to adjust the quantity of leaves if you have an unusually large or small cup. Furthermore if the water is not hot enough the extraction from the tea leaves will be subpar and the potential of the tea will not be reached.

1970s Liu An Sun Yishun / Oud Tea Combination
    For an expensive age tea of this quality it is worth considering putting in the extra effort to get the best brew that you can. Personally I like to use good bottled water*. It is advised that you use a small thermo or flask to maintain optimum heat. Use 1 teabag to 500ml water. Ensure the water is boiling hot as heat is vital for a good extraction of old tea leaves and wood. Ensure the thermo is clean and preheat the inside by pouring a little hot water in, shake and pour out the water. Next, place the teabag in the thermo and pour a little hot water in to quickly rinse the tea. Pour 500ml of water into the thermo and allow the 1st steep for between 45 min to 1 hour. Old tea is best enjoyed hot so pour the tea out when you are ready to drink it. When the thermo is empty you can refill it with hot water. The 2nd steep should be at least 5 hours.

* If you are picky about bottled water like I am, I would suggest avoiding Evian and RO water as in my experience both gives bad results for brewing tea. My favorite and reserved for special occasions is Iceland glacier water. I am sorry but this is something that perhaps only tea geeks can understand :)

Pricing (does not include shipping cost)

1) 2005 Gan En Nannuo
    15g/30g - US$17/US$30

2) 1970s Liu An & Oud Tea Blend (in teabag)
    2 teabags*(6g)/4 teabags*(12g)/8 teabags*(24g)/ - US$38/US$76/US$150

3) 1970s Liu An (loose leaf)

US$6/gram

*All teabags will contain 3g of Liu An tea
    i) For option 1, age bamboo leaf will be added
    ii) For option 2, 0.1g of Hindi oud chip will be added

Please contact me to place an order or customize weight of item(s). I can be reached by PM or email at varatphong@yahoo.com

Attached Files:

Aleata, Ashfaque, Ouddict and 7 others like this.
  3. Nikhil S

Nikhil S Resident Reviewer

Wow beautiful stuff brother. Truly amazing.

4. VPhong

VPhong Oud Tea

Thank you brother. I'll love to hear from you once you smell the scent.

tyson, Mandeel AlMandeel and Nikhil S like this.
  5. AbasFrag

AbasFrag Oud Burner

Amazing stuff brother!! I need to try this :)

Thank you for the informative text and good luck with the sale

tyson, Mandeel AlMandeel and VPhong like this.
  6. VPhong

VPhong Oud Tea

Thank you brother for your kind words and support. Much appreciated :)

tyson and Mandeel AlMandeel like this.
  7. VPhong

VPhong Oud Tea

Sharing an article on Age LiuAn Tea Appreciation by a Teamaster from Taiwan. This is an older version of Liu An Tea from the 1940s.
    - This is an old tea article printed in 2007 -

Attached Files:

8. Rai Munir

Rai Munir Musk Man

I reached your blog last night. :thumbsup::clapping::praying:. Much impressed. Please write about how to make tea as I and people like me, who are addicted to 'dooodh pattti', don't know how to make 'qehva'. :Roflmao::Roflmao::Roflmao:

tyson, VPhong and Nikhil S like this.
  9. VPhong

VPhong Oud Tea

Thank you, your words are much appreciated. I really enjoy knowing what my readers think. You will need to help me understand what is 'qehva'? Is it to drink tea plainly by itself? If so then we are definitely on the same train of thought.

I would definitely like to recommend that both the teas listed above be appreciated plainly so that their true characteristics can be experienced. I provide a convenient brewing guide for both teas that is aimed at getting good results with the minimum of effort. I will provide you with empty teabags for your convenience. Once you put the tea leaves inside you can fold the side pocket over the top to enclose them. I will reference the brewing guide below.

The ultimate way to prepare tea is to practice the Chinese gongfu ceremony and I think this can be the goal for those of us who have a passion for tea. However this is more complicated and it took me over 2 years to accumulate enough knowledge and get a feel for it to be consistently brewing good tea. I have attached a link below for those interested in seeing it.

Recommended Brewing
    Tea Cup Brewing.jpg
    Easy Tea Cup Brewing for 2005 Gan En Nannuo

Teabag roughly a tablespoon of leaves, place it in a cup and pour hot water into the cup. Pour out the rinse and refill your tea cup. Allow the tea to steep and try the tea after every 15-20 seconds and when the strength suits you, take out the teabag and rest it on a dish. When you have finished the tea you can re-steep by reusing the teabag.

Note: You may need to adjust the quantity of leaves if you have an unusually large or small cup. Furthermore if the water is not hot enough the extraction from the tea leaves will be subpar and the potential of the tea will not be reached.

Steeping with a Thermo.jpg

Long Steep Thermo for 1970s Liu An Sun Yishun / Oud Tea Combination
    It is advised that you use a small thermo or flask to maintain optimum heat. This will maximize the extraction from old tea leaves and the oud chip. Use 1 teabag to 500ml water. Ensure the water is boiling hot as heat is vital for a good extraction of old tea leaves and wood. Ensure the thermo is clean. Preheat the inside by pouring a little hot water in, shake and pour out the water. Next, place the teabag in the thermo and pour a little hot water to quickly rinse the tea and pour out. To steep the tea pour 500ml of water into the thermo and allow the 1st steep for between 45 min to 1 hour. Old tea is best enjoyed hot so pour the tea out of the thermo when you are ready to drink it. When the thermo is empty you can refill it with hot water. The 2nd steep should be at least 5 hours.

"For an expensive age tea of this quality it is worth considering putting in the extra effort to get the best brew that you can. Personally I like to use good bottled water but if you have a good natural source of well water or running stream that is even better.

For Advance Tea Enthusiasts the Chinese Kungfu Tea Ceremony

10. tyson

tyson Oud Alchemist

Liu An tea with a high quality piece of Hindi oud chip sounds amazing !! will have to order this forsure . The incense balls sound divine as well wow

11. VPhong

VPhong Oud Tea

You are a true artist dear Tyson and I thank you for your kind words. It would make me very happy for you to try them and share your impressions.

12. tyson

tyson Oud Alchemist

VPhong likes this.
  13. Ouddict

Ouddict Administrator

Wow, what a listing Varat - amazing stuff.

Mandeel AlMandeel and VPhong like this.
  14. VPhong

VPhong Oud Tea

Sharing a recorded clip of the opening of the 1970s Liu An tea basket

15. Nikhil S

Nikhil S Resident Reviewer

That was splendid. Thank you for sharing

16. Mandeel AlMandeel

Mandeel AlMandeel Oud Geek Staff Member

Thank you for sharing this lovely moment! :)

tyson and VPhong like this.
  17. Ashfaque

Ashfaque Analogue Oud

@VPhong Dear Varat, thank you very much for showing this wonderful type of incense (first time for me) - more importantly, for sharing your knowledge. :)

VPhong likes this.
  18. VPhong

VPhong Oud Tea

Dear Ashfaque, you are most welcome. It is early days. The incense is yet young and has not really matured yet. I expect its profile to change a lot more in the years and even decade to come. :)

Ashfaque likes this.
  19. tyson

tyson Oud Alchemist

The aged 70's tea you sent me was superb ,very smooth and uplifting , great to drink before Qi work , i especially loved the tea with the agarwood . Sublime and highly recomened . The incense balls were lovely as well ,sweet and cerebral , calm and centering , i felt a great stillness overtake me when smelling . |Perfect for meditation and contemplation with some of your amazing aged tea.

Nikhil S, VPhong and Rai Munir like this.
  20. VPhong

VPhong Oud Tea

Thank you for the kind words dear Tyson. I am very happy that you enjoy both the teas and nerikoh incense. I remember you mentioning that a touch of oud powder/chip can go very well with the incense balls which I wholeheartedly agree. I really love customizing and blending my own products to match my mood or need for an occasion in association with brewing certain teas or for a particular setting.

tyson and Nikhil S like this.

Promote Oud!