Ashfaque

Jonoon al Oud
Hiatus
An atypical rose oud attar (at least I like to think so!)

36761369_214376435880037_4780448683785191424_n.jpg

Story behind it (more like a blunder): I was making an attar few days ago and was turning into something quite enjoyable. Then made a big mistake of adding cumin in it. I underestimated its strength and added about 2.3%. It made this beautiful perfume into a revoltingly sweaty thing. Within few hours it sucked the life out from it.

As per Sultan Pasha advice, I tried adding lots of opoponax to see if I can make it wearable. Sadly it did not. He told me to add more but I stopped at about 8%. Abdullah @Mellifluence advised me to try adding everything else again without cumin. But because I have very small amount of each oil, I didn't pursue that path either. So, in the end considering the opportunity cost, I threw it away, including the borosilicate vial. :(

Anyway, this one is basically that formulae minus the cumin and a few more things. It is my version of rose oud with a twist. I added butter CO2, tuberose, ambrette, ruh motia, and few more things to inject a bit more fun. Now it is way better than the original recipe I had (pre-cumin gaffe). :)

Notes

Top: Butter CO2, nutmeg abs, pink pepper, Sarawak pepper.

Heart: 2 different Persian rose ottos, Bulgarian rose abs & otto, Cabbage rose abs (Morocco), 2 frankincenses, J. officinale abs (Egypt), J. sambac ruh, lavender abs, tuberose abs, Rosa alba CO2, Russian clary sage eo.

Base: Amber sweetie eo, ambrette seed abs, beeswax abs, Buddha wood eo, castoreum, civet abs, hyraceum, ouds: Barak (2012), CHT (2016), Sylhet 2013, Manek II and Thai Honey (2017), labdanum, myrrh CO2, Peru balsam, sandalwood (India & Bangladesh), tobacco abs, white ambergris.

17-080218 Update: Added 3 new oils - guaiac wood, tonka bean, and vanilla abs. - largely to to improve the dry down. Thanks a lot for your advice @F4R1d0uX :)

Last edited: