Incense and Bakhoor

Discussion in 'Incense Sticks and Bakhoor' started by Ouddict, Apr 2, 2017.

1. F4R1d0uX

F4R1d0uX Resident Artisan

This is tipicaly what I experienced :Thumbsup:

Mandeel AlMandeel likes this.
  2. Tayib

Tayib Whats this Oud About?

Wow, that's quite a stock you be got there . When did you purchase it ? Every time I go on their site, it's always empty . I've been wanting to try these for a while .

3. Oud_learner

Oud_learner Junior Member

I have been purchasing from KZ for quite a while.

RisingPhoenix likes this.
  4. Rasoul Salehi

Rasoul Salehi Oud Fan

kyara zen high beta santanol mysore incense stick:
    released a month or two ago. finally got my shipment and took a stick for a test drive.
    it is exactly as one expected it to be. the very milky creamy buttery essence of sandal wood wafting and surrounding you with ooomph and power. WS has managed to keep that acrid, harsh burning smoke to a minimum and as such allowing us to have the sweetest milkiest scent of mysore on steroids.

i find this to be too powerful for a close up study. best enjoyed from the distant. best part for me was leaving the room and coming back in a few minutes. heavenly.

5. Tayib

Tayib Whats this Oud About?

Any idea when they will restock? I haven't tried a high quality inscence stick. Really curious to test one. Up until now I've only ever had the opportunity to try out the cheap stuff that all smells the same..

tyson likes this.
  6. RisingPhoenix

RisingPhoenix Resident Artisan

Did you see any of the incense sticks we just sold out of? Working on making more - as well as adding some additional types. Been getting great feedback on the first round I put out there.

Tayib likes this.
  7. Oud_learner

Oud_learner Junior Member

Holder from Shoyeido, incense (Ambergris) by Kyarazen.

[​IMG]

VPhong, Rasoul Salehi, tyson and 7 others like this.
  8. Nikhil S

Nikhil S Resident Reviewer

Handmade Nerikoh Balls from member @VPhong

Brilliant stuff on charcoal.

My whole unit is filled with top class natural incense aroma with frankincense standing out. Creamy smoke. Great for a meditative session.

Premium stuff. Highly recommended to all.

9. GalileoFigaroMagnifico

GalileoFigaroMagnifico Oud vibrations

The bakhoor from @Al Shareef Oudh's "Scented Month" box. Heavens but this is amazing. The creamiest richest rose-saffron-wood aroma ever. It's so pungent even without burning, but a 1/4 lump crumbled over charcoal filled my living room with a narcotic haze of bliss.

Hosayn, Habz786, Nikhil S and 2 others like this.
  10. VPhong

VPhong Oud Tea

Glad you enjoyed this traditional Japanese incense brother @Nikhil S I’ve been quietly working to accumulate a portion (apprx. 500g) to put away for ageing as originally intended. I love how different cultures through traditional crafts utilize the magic of time to refine and heighten the value of their goods whether it be these Nerikoh incense, sandalwood/oud oils, age tea, balsamic vinegar, cheese, wine, etc. I’ve been using my ceramic burner to heat these Nerikoh balls but charcoal … now that is something I need to experiment more with.

11. Nikhil S

Nikhil S Resident Reviewer

Superb! Bro on charcoal you get the perfect diffusion. It filled up my whole unit. And very pleasant smell. Beautiful stuff.

12. Rasoul Salehi

Rasoul Salehi Oud Fan

for what is worth the japanese users themselves only use low heat (like ceramic heater) when it comes to nerikoh. the use of honey or fruits as is the traditional case in making nerikoh results in a acrid harsh smoke when put on charcoal. my own experiments have confirmed this.

VPhong and RisingPhoenix like this.
  13. VPhong

VPhong Oud Tea

There are so many formulations of Nerikoh that I prefer to assess things on a case by case basis. With this specific one that I made there are no fruits (making it less delicate) but a mix of wood and resin with raw black wild honey. My intention is to age it long term and let the enzymes in the raw honey cure the wood and resin to maturity. Personally I have always been fascinated with the use of charcoal (although I hardly ever use it) and the kind of heat you get compared to other modern heaters. Here in Thailand the old style of cooking using charcoal always makes the food taste more delicious. My instincts have always told me that charcoal is better but the convenience of modern heaters means that in most cases I will reach for the switch. In any case I will try over the weekend and report back.

14. RisingPhoenix

The Japanese consider the use of wood or incense directly on charcoal to be barbaric.

Nerikoh is always heated by indirect heat, as are Monkoh woods. The only incense lit by combustion in Japanese tradition is Senkoh - incense sticks.

I would say the difference between Japanese and Arabic - style of heating is the difference between Volatilization and Combustion. Two very different methods of use. Japanese method is also much more conscious about the quantity used. "No Muda" is the "national motto" (meaning No Waste). It's why they use a rice grain - sized or Kakuwari slice for heating high grade woods.

Heating on charcoal in Japan is considered both barbaric and wasteful. Doesn't mean don't do it. Simply is a reflection of their tastes and cultural perspective.

Rasoul Salehi and VPhong like this.
  15. VPhong

VPhong Oud Tea

Thank you, I understand where you are coming from. I have no intention of channeling the direct/full heat from the charcoal. I had in mind to buffer and soften things out with ash and a mica plate.

16. RisingPhoenix

Which would be indirect heat - the principle upon which Kodo is founded on and electric heaters mimic :)

VPhong likes this.
  17. Rasoul Salehi

Rasoul Salehi Oud Fan

18. VPhong

VPhong Oud Tea

I seems like we are all on the same page if you ask me :thumbsup:

19. RisingPhoenix

Agreed :)

VPhong likes this.
  20. VPhong

VPhong Oud Tea

Scenting a room prior to starting a tea session with Nerikoh incense and charcoal. I softened the heat with ash and a mica plate. The projection of the aroma is strong and pleasing. Everyone can smell it. It is a different experience to the gentle heating applied with a ceramic heater that induces light dancing whiffs of scent. The trade off to pushing for a stronger scent is longevity. Finding the right balance within the range of temperatures comes down to personal preference. The key is to stay under the level of high heat that will bring about acrid smoke from burning.

tyson, KHH, Rasoul Salehi and 2 others like this.

Promote Oud!