RisingPhoenix

Resident Artisan
Double check Atlanta, it's a Delta Airlines Hub. I'm sure there are direct flights to hartsfield-Jackson. Also much cheaper than LA flight. Guaranteed.

Yup - not only is it a big hub, especially for Delta - but we'd have a bad ass location to do the meet and greet with that we wouldn't have to pay for.

We'd have access to space and amenities that we wouldn't have anywhere else. Could even have a bonfire and hang out into the wee hours of the night if we so chose.

If we did it local here - I'd have more control in setting up a hotel or places to stay for folks, as well.

Again - I'm not necessarily pushing for Atlanta. I'm pushing for an ideal location that is easily accessible, has a cool location, and doesn't cost us a fortune in hotels and conference space for us to hold the event.

After a few months of shopping for a location...Atlanta so far looks the most appealing.

People will have to fly in regardless of where we hold the event. I'm just trying to look for the best value.

Input, as always - is welcome and appreciated. :)

RisingPhoenix

Resident Artisan
Hi JK do you have a time frame in mind when you want to do the Oud Fayre?

That'll depend on part in the space we end up landing on.

Was hoping for August / September...but that's right around the corner. May need to be September / October. Again - depends on what we land on for space

RisingPhoenix

Resident Artisan
So, a quick update...

I heard back from the 3rd place in LA I was really pulling for, and it seems the only date they have available isn't ideal, and the concept for them is a bit off target from what they do.

Which means...LA may not work.

Which brings us back around to Atlanta. I'm in the metro area and can have a really great space available for us. Can set up a catered meal. Tons of great food in the area - can set up a dinner for everyone at one of the local Arabic restaurants (sticking with the theme), can have a bonfire and have some hangout time. Would be more flexible here.

So I'm posing it to the group - could do it here in Roswell. I can talk to one of the local hotels and try and get a group rate. Dates I'm looking at are August 25th and 26th (Saturday and Sunday)

If folks came in on Friday - I could set up a pre-dinner on the 24th. I could set another dinner up for Saturday the 25th.

What do folks think of the date? August 25-26

And the location? Roswell, GA (I might add - one of the 10 Best Places in the US to live...that ones for you, @Ouddict ! ;) )

MzM

Oud King
So, a quick update...

I heard back from the 3rd place in LA I was really pulling for, and it seems the only date they have available isn't ideal, and the concept for them is a bit off target from what they do.

Which means...LA may not work.

Which brings us back around to Atlanta. I'm in the metro area and can have a really great space available for us. Can set up a catered meal. Tons of great food in the area - can set up a dinner for everyone at one of the local Arabic restaurants (sticking with the theme), can have a bonfire and have some hangout time. Would be more flexible here.

So I'm posing it to the group - could do it here in Roswell. I can talk to one of the local hotels and try and get a group rate. Dates I'm looking at are August 25th and 26th (Saturday and Sunday)

If folks came in on Friday - I could set up a pre-dinner on the 24th. I could set another dinner up for Saturday the 25th.

What do folks think of the date? August 25-26

And the location? Roswell, GA (I might add - one of the 10 Best Places in the US to live...that ones for you, @Ouddict ! ;) )
Those dates work for me. It would be a couple of days after Eid so perfect time for the vendors to get their Eid sales going. : )
Would one fly into Atlanta or does Roswell have an airport?

In regards to the food, would there be an option for halal possibly? Not trying to be picky could also do vegetarian if halal is not available.

RisingPhoenix

Resident Artisan
Those dates work for me. It would be a couple of days after Eid so perfect time for the vendors to get their Eid sales going. : )
Would one fly into Atlanta or does Roswell have an airport?

In regards to the food, would there be an option for halal possibly? Not trying to be picky could also do vegetarian if halal is not available.

Would fly into the Atlanta airport (ATL), although there are other local airports that may be suitable depending on where one would be flying in from.

We can go over how best to get up to Roswell.

Halal food - yes. That's why I mentioned the Arabic food. There's a large Muslim population up around this area - lots of restaurants that service that population. Not sure I can get Halal 100% of every meal - but I can get that for at least the group meals if that's what we need to do.

Last edited:

RisingPhoenix

Resident Artisan
So everyone, a quick update...

Had a chat with the vendors yesterday and we had a bright idea that would make for an easily accessible middle ground with friendly flight and accommodation prices - Vegas baby!

How does Vegas Fayre 2018?

I'd still need to set a positive date and specific location, which I'm working on. I wanted to run a vegas by everyone and see if this was an amniable location?

RisingPhoenix

Resident Artisan
From the West Coast Vegas is better than Atlanta.

I figured Vegas would be ideal for several reasons...

It's roughly a middle ground for people to come from every corner.

Flights are usually cheaper to Vegas.

Never more than 15 minutes from the airport - so no need to rent a car or have any long travel or traffic to deal with.

Tons of food and accommodation options

All around - I thought it was a smart idea and a great option.

RisingPhoenix

Resident Artisan
Aight everyone - how's Saturday and Sunday August 18th and 19th in Vegas sound?

I'll likely get out there a day or two early to set up. Will likely try to set up an opening dinner on Friday before "the event" officially starts.

For the location - I'll rent a large house. Will be private, can burn to our heart's desire without setting off fire alarms or disrupting other people, and should give us plenty of space for everyone while also making it loungy and great for some solid hang out time together.

My one concern - is that it's too soon for everyone to make the appropriate plans and for us to properly market the event and get folks to hop on board - which is why we could really use everyone's help in getting the word out.

So - Vegas August 18-19th