kooolaid79

AA’s Ayu this morning. This oil is truly psychoactive and it feels like it’s saying something to me. Truly one of the best Malaysian oils, I have encountered. The color of this oil makes it that much more interesting. Lightish blue/green :D. I am so happy and blessed to have this oil in my collection. A truly special kind of oil which doesn’t “need approval of anyone”

Shabby

Hello dear friends, long time, no post. Today I just received a sample of Kencana (AA) which I'm currently wearing. It's been a few months since I ordered a sample and I went a few months without wearing oud as well.

My conclusion was that I was hugely desensitised because upon returning to my ouds I found all kinds of nuances in the oils that I had missed; plus sillage and longevity were of a different order altogether. I highly recommend an extended periodic fast (and I mean more than a measly few days @Rasoul Salehi :p ).

Well, Hindustan is a 'blue' Hindi, and Kencana is a 'blue' Malinau. I can detect the expected notes of vanilla, sweet woodiness, marzipan and a slight creaminess (as well as a certain new rubber smell at the opening), but it is wrapped in a cold and pure blue husk - a most unexpected experience, which somehow makes the oil incredibly deep and moving. By the way this is not a top-note heavy oud, this is pure heart. All my fasting and this incredible Malinau leads me to think, 'there is simply nothing like oud.'

Shabby

I've seen many oils being described as top note heavy or fractionated (which I don't understand completely) and many of them do not behave that way for me. Top notes typically are diffusive and short lasting. Many of the oils described as top note heavy actually take a while to warm on the skin before becoming diffusive and are very long lasting. It may seem like an oxymoron and I can't fully explain the phenomenon, but many of those oils allow me to know the difference between what's called Oud and true agarwood essential oils.
My thoughts exactly Mr. PEARL. In fact, if I drop all innuendo, a 'top-note-heavy oud' is closely associated with the Agar Aura signature. Now for me this is a serious misnomer - the reason it takes on the appearance of top notes, at least relative to other ouds, is a lack of the wood fibre element in the essential oil, and the presence of the oleoresin element. Then it is a simple case of 'as above, so below' - the wood is solid, tangible, basic; the oleoresin is not a solid of the same kind, and the oil is not solid at all. So, if there is a greater presence of the oleoresin in the final oil, the result will also be less tangible and more diffusive.

Most importantly, however, the resultant oil will be more essential. This means the notes are more integrated, and more intrinsic to the scent of the wood. This line of argument can also be extended to combat the notion that distillation is an alchemy which should produce something which exceeds or adds something to the raw material: in the first case one is saying 2+2=5; in the second, one is equivocating transmutation with transformation. Distillation is a sacred alchemy without a doubt, but it is fundamentally the transmutation of substance to essence, hence fragrance is a spiritual aid in our own attempts to journey from formal substance to the Essence and the archetypes. In other words, for the wood, the oil, and ourselves, it is a case of knowing and being our true selves!

Rasoul Salehi

True Ouddict
Hello dear friends, long time, no post. Today I just received a sample of Kencana (AA) which I'm currently wearing. It's been a few months since I ordered a sample and I went a few months without wearing oud as well.

My conclusion was that I was hugely desensitised because upon returning to my ouds I found all kinds of nuances in the oils that I had missed; plus sillage and longevity were of a different order altogether. I highly recommend an extended periodic fast (and I mean more than a measly few days @Rasoul Salehi :p ).

Well, Hindustan is a 'blue' Hindi, and Kencana is a 'blue' Malinau. I can detect the expected notes of vanilla, sweet woodiness, marzipan and a slight creaminess (as well as a certain new rubber smell at the opening), but it is wrapped in a cold and pure blue husk - a most unexpected experience, which somehow makes the oil incredibly deep and moving. By the way this is not a top-note heavy oud, this is pure heart. All my fasting and this incredible Malinau leads me to think, 'there is simply nothing like oud.'

amen. welcome back brother @Shabby and what an entrance too. i should have kencana too in next day or two. i have been looking forward to it. love me my malinau.

and my oud fast was week long! it felt like 3 months... month long+ is too extreme for me ;)

Rasoul Salehi

True Ouddict
EO naga3000 vs IO imperial naga vs AA lavanya

I like Nagaland oils quite a bit. All 3 of these oils have that red fruit molasses tobacco note. Lavanya driest, least sweet, bitter and quiet. Imperial has most barn but still a low barn oil. Touch of that sour pit fruit but more yellow in scent. Naga3000 most tea like. Most rounded and fullest. Red bush African tea with milk cinnamon sugar. I could have easily mistaken it for a Bhutan like muana royale or even nirvata. Not quite but close. Balsam and tree sap notes keeps the naga3k alive and hold it erect like a spine on a person. Lavanya has the bitterness to keep it erect. Imperial has that barn and beauty interplay.

Rasoul Salehi

True Ouddict
IO - Bahadur. Oh! I just realised that only samples are available - typical, I've bought a sample of something I can't get :Roflmao::Roflmao:
Well, I will treasure this! What a stunner, it's smooth. No barn whatsoever, seems a very airy, transparent type of oil, perhaps somewhat similar to Agar Aura's profile (not that I've experienced too much). I thought Assam oils were of the Hindi profile? shows what I know! :)
i agree and i see the agar aura comparison, albeit taha's are even more focused on the oleoresin ONLY. bahadur has the wood notes and some aux notes, but in a good way.

bahadur btw is high mountain nagaland origin, shah jahan is assam..

Sproaty

Sproudy
Staff member
i agree and i see the agar aura comparison, albeit taha's are even more focused on the oleoresin ONLY. bahadur has the wood notes and some aux notes, but in a good way.

bahadur btw is high mountain nagaland origin, shah jahan is assam..

ah yes! I saw the name of "Bahadur – Assam 2018" and took it to mean it's from Assam :)
What a fantastic oil, it lasted me all day yesterday, a good 10+ hours.

Rasoul Salehi

True Ouddict
My thoughts exactly Mr. PEARL. In fact, if I drop all innuendo, a 'top-note-heavy oud' is closely associated with the Agar Aura signature. Now for me this is a serious misnomer - the reason it takes on the appearance of top notes, at least relative to other ouds, is a lack of the wood fibre element in the essential oil, and the presence of the oleoresin element. Then it is a simple case of 'as above, so below' - the wood is solid, tangible, basic; the oleoresin is not a solid of the same kind, and the oil is not solid at all. So, if there is a greater presence of the oleoresin in the final oil, the result will also be less tangible and more diffusive.

Most importantly, however, the resultant oil will be more essential. This means the notes are more integrated, and more intrinsic to the scent of the wood. This line of argument can also be extended to combat the notion that distillation is an alchemy which should produce something which exceeds or adds something to the raw material: in the first case one is saying 2+2=5; in the second, one is equivocating transmutation with transformation. Distillation is a sacred alchemy without a doubt, but it is fundamentally the transmutation of substance to essence, hence fragrance is a spiritual aid in our own attempts to journey from formal substance to the Essence and the archetypes. In other words, for the wood, the oil, and ourselves, it is a case of knowing and being our true selves!

true. very true. i for one had mistaken many of taha's oils and others for that matter as a top note heavy. they are diffusive, they are louder than many of lets say ensar's oils (aging i am sure has A LOT to do with EO ouds-most of them- and distillation method surely) but in actuality, these oils are heart heavy. the heart is yanked up to the top. they are not devoid of top notes by any means, but heart over top and bottom.

Rai Munir

Musk Man
Sinensis III (IO): Every inch a Sinensis. Neither more nor less. typical medicinal and herbal aroma. A date-palm leaves made prayer mat, when it gets fully drenched in rain, it emits particular scent. Sinensis III is akin to that.

Blend: Musk Maceration Oil+Kedah+Archipelago+Fragrant Harbour+Frankincense: Frankincense infused a day before because Fragrant Harbour was a bit loud, and I don't like Chinese oil at all. So, Frankincense I added. I tried the blend today, and found a new aroma. Layers of different aromas. It will take time to get all notes orchestrated.

Sultan Leather Attar (An Old One): Just kept the bottle uncapped, and the fragrance is there in the room.

EO's attars have classical aura that engulfs the wearer. Orchestration of notes! This is the prominent feature of EO's attars. This is what I couldn't find in any other artisan vendor except ASO. They seem to be anxious enough to release oils without paying heed to time and acquiring A class ingredients.

Last edited:

Rasoul Salehi

True Ouddict
Sinensis III (IO): Every inch a Sinensis. Neither more nor less. typical medicinal and herbal aroma. A date-palm leave made prayer mat, when it gets fully drenched in rain, it emits particular scent. Sinensis III is akin to that.

Blend: Musk Maceration Oil+Kedah+Archipelago+Fragrant Harbour+Frankincense: Frankincense infused a day before because Fragrant Harbour was a bit loud, and I don't like Chinese oil at all. So, Frankincense I added. I tried the blend today, and found a new aroma. Layers of different aromas. It will take time to get all notes orchestrated.

Sultan Leather Attar (An Old One): Just kept the bottle uncapped, and the fragrance is there in the room.

EO's attars have classical aura that engulfs the wearer. Orchestration of notes! This is the prominent feature of EO's attars. This is what I couldn't find in any other artisan vendor except ASO. They seem to be anxious enough to release oils without pay heed to time and acquiring A class ingredients.

the more i learn about oud and attar in general, the more i value and admire aged oils. initialy as all things, we get wowed by that first sight. that LED flat tv setting set on vivid to make it jump out next to other TVs. that flashy shirt with a collar different colour than the rest of the shirt, each button a different colour, etc. top notes in oils are similar. i didnt care for quiet oils with little top note. now i am virtually in polar opposite camp. i have a feeling that i will settle in between (where balance lies) soon and from there oscillate back and forth a bit but doubt ill end up loving those young fresh super loud and diffusive oils like i once did.

AZsmell

True Ouddict
the more i learn about oud and attar in general, the more i value and admire aged oils. initialy as all things, we get wowed by that first sight. that LED flat tv setting set on vivid to make it jump out next to other TVs. that flashy shirt with a collar different colour than the rest of the shirt, each button a different colour, etc. top notes in oils are similar. i didnt care for quiet oils with little top note. now i am virtually in polar opposite camp. i have a feeling that i will settle in between (where balance lies) soon and from there oscillate back and forth a bit but doubt ill end up loving those young fresh super loud and diffusive oils like i once did.

I prefer my plasma TV with muted, true to life colors. My LED TV is brighter and more vivid but not as enjoyable to me.
Some people think the plasma has a dull picture.
Taha's oils are like plasma TV to me. Not flashy but deeply satisfying.

Rai Munir

Musk Man
Rembrandt, the greatest painter, whose creative imagination played with light and shade. Chiaroscuro! Highly mysterious medium to express the mysteries of life. A creative artisan is like Rembrandt. Light and shade. Not amalgamation of fruits and spices and etc. etc.

None of the vendors is hundred per cent Rembrandt. If one is 50 %, the other is 40 %, and the next is 60 %, and so on. I love Rembrandt; so, I am destined to wander here and there wherever I find even a minutest glimpse of his.

Though I myself try to note top, heart, and base notes, I never cherish it. Transporting vigour of oils is above top, heart and base, in my view. This attribute can be found in any artisan's oils. I smelt top class oils from all vendors, and I smelt sincerely pathetic stuff from all vendors. Therefore, I have liberated myself from the weakest gravitational pull of vendors, but run after light-and-shade sort of oils.

Oudlust and wanderlust never let one stay somewhere. Vendors are just momentary stopovers.