Oudstudent

Oud Fanatic
For me, when I went abroad, I could not use ouds for almost 2 weeks. For the first 3 days, I am tempted/had the urge to use oud because something is missing from my regular life. I smelled oud almost every day. After that, everything goes normal. Any obsession can lead to suffering but if you realize nothing matters, you won't suffer even if you lost all of your agarwood collection.

Also, my obsession with oud leads me to spend hundreds of dollars trying every single agarwood out there. If I use logic, this is wasteful. Luckily, I have all my basics supported so why not try something new? Scent/smell is one of the most underrated organs but it plays a significant role in our daily life. Had covid before and I realized how life sucked without smell. The same as adrenalin enjoyers, like climbing mountains, doing dangerous things, exploring inhabited places, etc. Reading books, making music, making an invention, etc. It gives you a sense of enjoyment not knowing something. For me, I want to explore everything. I want to know everything. It is as simple as that

I am not Buddhist or Hindu but you can do any activities in your life without attachment, basically like yoga, so you listen to your body to know whether you should spend hundreds in oud or not. There is no such thing as permanent obsession or addiction. Eventually, you will get bored and you don't want anything, just freedom. What creates suffering/obsession/addiction is when People smell oud with such attachment, thinking oud makes you happy. Oud matters to you so much even so you don't listen to your body to make decisions. Artists, inventors, and scientists surely have an obsession with what they do but how we think is what makes things different although they do the same thing.

Last edited: