Royal Green Hojary + Double Tahitian Vanilla

Discussion in 'Tyson Mortensen' started by tyson, Feb 12, 2018.

1. tyson

tyson Oud Alchemist

Day one, soak the Hojary / vanilla in the pot with canadian rocky mountain spring water.

Day 2, i turn on the burner but only on the lowest setting and smallest flame, only enough to heat the pot and not boil it , i want the frank and vanilla to slowly infuse into each other over a long period of time and let the oils release from there resins and cells of the plant material . I feel this is a crucial step in bonding the 2 together as the actual distilling can be done in a matter of several hours with frankincense. I will hold the pots temp under boiling for 24 hours before raising the temps .

Day 3 , raise the temp to get a low boil with the min temp to bring over the oils .

Im more concerned with releasing the oils into the water slowly and then boiling the material and bringing it over . This is were the alchemy of the art lies .

2 kilos of the royal green frank with 30 ground Tahiti vanilla pods . Each pod cost 15 usd so there is 450 usd worth of the highest grade vanilla in this batch . Most vanilla is picked green shocked in boiling water and then cheap oils are added to the pods and its put in the sun for a few hours each day , this is the life of 95% of vanilla today . These tahiti vanilla pods i used are the creme de la creme and are only picked when fully ripe , they still do the hot water treatment as its sets the beans for the curing process but they don't use the cheap oils on them . Every day there out into the sun for a couple hours,and they do this for many months and then wrap them and let them sweat in between sunning s this goes on for 3 months before they are wrapped and put away to fully cure for another 3-6 months sometimes longer as they check the beans regularly and grade them .Each bean is handle over 500 times before it gets to market , its the most labor intensive crop in the world besides saffron . It was important to me that the beans not have oils on them as that would wreck the oils im trying to make and lower the grade of the essence . I want to create only the highest vibration essences and in order to do that i must source and use the purest of quality in its most ripe form . You can imagine what it would cost to distill pure vanilla beans ... this is why you only find absolutes , but it does not convey to me the mysticism or magic of pure vanilla so i infuse it into the hojary instead . I find they create a dynamic between the 2 that gives birth to something even more special that that either one could accomplish on its own .

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  2. Nikhil S

Nikhil S Resident Reviewer

If the information is so delicious I don’t know how the oil will turn out to be!

VPhong, Mandeel AlMandeel and Habz786 like this.
  3. tyson

tyson Oud Alchemist

The added vanilla really made the whole batch more floral and sweet , quite a treasure im sure it will be once properly aged . Im going to cover the crystal goblet that holds the fresh oil with a paper towel so it can breath and let dissipate some of the lighter turpentine's in the oil . Will probably add the highest grade ancient white ambergris to 100 mls of this oil later , i found a nice sweet ethereal uplifting vanilla scented chunk !!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  4. tyson

tyson Oud Alchemist

More back in stock ,90 a tola or 30 for 3 grams .

Mandeel AlMandeel and VPhong like this.
  5. tyson

tyson Oud Alchemist

This new batch of royal green hojary with tahiti vanilla is exquisite in its composition. Its like opening the bag of fresh resin a perfect reflection of all its character with an even enhanced candy pop rocks and champain bubbling fizz , the vanilla smooths out the body of the oil giving it a brightness and cheer an uplifting effect. Just enough lime to satisfy and zero sharp or harsh notes . Its really crazy how easy it is to wreck a batch of frankincense to short or to long a distillation and the scent profile i find lacking or way to much terps like a overload of citrus ... to high a heat and its harsh and dificult like a unruly child. I feel im dialing in the parameters now and will only be able to refine the sacred hojary/vanilla in the future . |This batch marks a turning point of my understanding of this oil though and one that can only come with experience and time . Now i turn my attention to the art of the curing process and one in which i will try many things from bubbling air into the oil and another were i leave the oil in goblets made of crystals with a open top that has a paper towl over it with a elastic band to keep it from falling off this will alow some exchange without letting any dust of particles in . another way id like to try is with a rotavap and another with sealed bottles . there are a few more ways id like to try and age as well . Id love to hear from others about the various ways we can age and cure oils as i feel this is a a bit of a lost art .

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
  6. tyson

tyson Oud Alchemist

Today im silk screening cured and dried vanilla caviar for my attar. You start with a paste of vanilla caviar when you scrape the beans of there contents after this is done it must be dried and then put though a sifter this removes some of the bean casing but not all i have found that a stretched and mounted silk screen 220 microns is perfect for removing all the casing and plant material and letting the precious and tiny vanilla caviar seeds pass through. Once collected and let cure for an additional period in a sealed glass jar we open the jar once a day everyday for a week and then let it sit sealed for an extended period of time . The difference in aroma is astounding its a shame no one does it . Cost more than likely the contributing factor , sparing no cost can give beautiful results in this case. the refined and pure vanilla seeds "caviar" will be added to the finished hojary/vanilla infusion , also looks really cool to see the tiny black looking pearls float around in the oil when you shake the oil .
    What im going to do with the ambergris is dust it and then add it to a double boiler and heat it till its 60c with pure iso alcohol 99% , let that sit for a few hours strain and add more alcohol and repeat so a double extraction , once i filter both extractions ill let that settle for a few days and pull the upper layer that are pure and contain no sediment . ill then double boiler that alcohol tinture with the ambergris down to its wax. will add that wax to the attar with the refined vanilla bean caviar . the caviar will infuse iteslf into the ambergris waxes and also into the attar itself . then when the wax of the ambergris is left on the skin it will hold them all there together .
    I have chose 2 chunks of ambergris for this project one ancient white with a profile of vanilla , uplifting , sweet , ethreal, baby breath
    the other one it has a powerful scent and also animal (musky) which i think would be nice with some flower scent to balance the equasion.

I find that balance is the most important aspect of distilling and making attars and that like cooking we can use Sweet, salt, bitter, sour and umami – to bring balance to the forces , additionally though there are other thinks that must be balanced like the natural forces air, earth , wild , water, and either .
    also we must find balance in the yin and the yang the divine feminine and divine masculine, as above so below.

Rai Munir and Bryan-I like this.
  7. tyson

tyson Oud Alchemist

For the next week i have tola's of the Frank/vanilla for 75 usd plus 15 usd for shipping . Normal is 90 so its basically free shipping :) Quite an extraodinary oil on its own and also a great base if you wanted to make you own attar

Promote Oud!