Dismiss Notice
We are in the middle of changing the user interface of the forum to make it easier to navigate, eliminate some bugs in the previous template and expand the forum functionality in the future.
Dismiss Notice
VOTING NOW OPEN FOR OUD AND NATURAL PERFUME OF THE YEAR 2017! PLEASE VOTE IN BOTH POLLS. THANK YOU.

Royal Green Hojary + Double Tahitian Vanilla

Discussion in 'The Natural Perfumer's Palette' started by tyson, Feb 12, 2018.

1. tyson

tyson Oud Alchemist

Day one, soak the Hojary / vanilla in the pot with canadian rocky mountain spring water.

Day 2, i turn on the burner but only on the lowest setting and smallest flame, only enough to heat the pot and not boil it , i want the frank and vanilla to slowly infuse into each other over a long period of time and let the oils release from there resins and cells of the plant material . I feel this is a crucial step in bonding the 2 together as the actual distilling can be done in a matter of several hours with frankincense. I will hold the pots temp under boiling for 24 hours before raising the temps .

Day 3 , raise the temp to get a low boil with the min temp to bring over the oils .

Im more concerned with releasing the oils into the water slowly and then boiling the material and bringing it over . This is were the alchemy of the art lies .

2 kilos of the royal green frank with 30 ground Tahiti vanilla pods . Each pod cost 15 usd so there is 450 usd worth of the highest grade vanilla in this batch . Most vanilla is picked green shocked in boiling water and then cheap oils are added to the pods and its put in the sun for a few hours each day , this is the life of 95% of vanilla today . These tahiti vanilla pods i used are the creme de la creme and are only picked when fully ripe , they still do the hot water treatment as its sets the beans for the curing process but they don't use the cheap oils on them . Every day there out into the sun for a couple hours,and they do this for many months and then wrap them and let them sweat in between sunning s this goes on for 3 months before they are wrapped and put away to fully cure for another 3-6 months sometimes longer as they check the beans regularly and grade them .Each bean is handle over 500 times before it gets to market , its the most labor intensive crop in the world besides saffron . It was important to me that the beans not have oils on them as that would wreck the oils im trying to make and lower the grade of the essence . I want to create only the highest vibration essences and in order to do that i must source and use the purest of quality in its most ripe form . You can imagine what it would cost to distill pure vanilla beans ... this is why you only find absolutes , but it does not convey to me the mysticism or magic of pure vanilla so i infuse it into the hojary instead . I find they create a dynamic between the 2 that gives birth to something even more special that that either one could accomplish on its own .

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  2. Nikhil S

Nikhil S Resident Reviewer

If the information is so delicious I don’t know how the oil will turn out to be!

Mandeel AlMandeel and Habz786 like this.
  3. tyson

tyson Oud Alchemist

The added vanilla really made the whole batch more floral and sweet , quite a treasure im sure it will be once properly aged . Im going to cover the crystal goblet that holds the fresh oil with a paper towel so it can breath and let dissipate some of the lighter turpentine's in the oil . Will probably add the highest grade ancient white ambergris to 100 mls of this oil later , i found a nice sweet ethereal uplifting vanilla scented chunk !!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018

Promote Oud!