Sinking Black Mysore Sanalwood

Discussion in 'Tyson Mortensen' started by tyson, Dec 21, 2017.

1. tyson

tyson Oud Alchemist

I have a very rare sinking black mysore sandalwood root here that i plan on distilling . Its 1.2 kilos and will make some heavenly oil if there ever was one . Black sandalwood like this is the highest grade of sandalwood and for it to be sinking as well is really a jewel . You can see in the photos the black outer part and then as it goes closer to the inner wood it becomes lighter . This is how the root wood protects itself from rotting but also as time goes by it changes the resins and oils to become more influenced by the soil were its undergoing its slow transformation , as time goes by all the not resined/oils wood dies away and the oils/resin/spirit of the wood condense , like coal to diamonds this process is really slow but it makes jewels out of the wood thats left . This is also what makes old kynam and kyara so precious or the soil formations as there can be a few formations of kyara and kynam . The smell of aged old roots are different from heartwood and in my up coming distillation of this root i will just distill it as i would like to highlight the unique character of this precious aroma. Such a soft smell full of milk and honey , earthy ethreal dignified grace , a cool calming vibration , if there ever was a smell of a dirt road while it just starts to rain this would be it !! I was thinking of distilling it with a sinking heartwood but that came from the me wanting to get a yeild of oil when i think about what would a masterpiece of a oil be made from it would say to me forget how much oil just distill this log and have a tiny jar of divine dew drops , let it age and listen to it over time , let its memory fill you with its light . This is what i long for in a oil , to let it uplift me to the higher realms . A oil make from this kind of wood can bring you there it whispers softly . This coming full moon ill distill the wood dust of this mysore for 3 days using distilled water programed with shungite , emeralds and gold , adding just a dash of himilayan pink salt . 1.2 kilos of this kind of sinking wood should net me 4 % im hoping so.. if im lucky maybe ill get 50 grams of oil . This wood is 2 dollars a gram so the oil would cost me 48 usd a gram production cost . Which is not crazy considering the present state of sandalwood . Ive been extremely lucky to be able to get this wood from the gov warehouse in india . This particular log has been sitting there for a very long time and who knows how old it is . In any event its vintage wood from a bygone Era. I will posts photos and videos of the distillation when i do it . I may part with a tiny bit of the wood as it would be great to share some of this caliper of wood with the community . Really amazing for kodo ceremonies or heated on the very lowest of settings and bringing the heat up from there after time . Here is a pic of the beads i made from this black wood strung together with my emerald carving all sinking $$$$$$$$.jpg $$$$.jpg $$$$$$$$$$$.jpg beads , was really amazing to carve the beads and smell the wood as it turned , just divine .

2. Imran786

Imran786 Oud-Osmosis

Hi Tyson,

Sounds great! I would like to register my interest in acquiring some of your wood/ oil.

Thanks,
    Imran

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
    tyson, Habz786 and riviera274 like this.
  3. tyson

tyson Oud Alchemist

Hi Imran
    how many grams would you like i have a few nice solid chunks , 17g ,28g,11g,26g,21g,33g,36g. The other root chunk i think im giong to dust and get ready for distilling . the 11 g chunk is not sinking and the 21 grams chuck is half sinking . they all are very dark wood and have an amazing aroma . I prefer to grind the wood and gently heat it and listen to it. 100% satisfaction guaranteed so if your not happy for any reason just return it .

4. AbasFrag

AbasFrag Oud Burner

Absolutely stunning...
    Never seen anything like it.

Thanks for sharing

5. Habz786

Habz786 Resident Artisan

I want to try some of the oil when ready and maybe a chip to compare with the oil :D

Mandeel AlMandeel and tyson like this.
  6. tyson

tyson Oud Alchemist

7. tyson

tyson Oud Alchemist

I have the last 2 chunks for sale that i was going to dust and distill but there really nice pieces and i though id offer for sale first , 2 usd a gram the one chunk is 62 grams and the other is 72.

Mandeel AlMandeel likes this.
  8. tyson

tyson Oud Alchemist

72 gram chunk pending

9. tyson

tyson Oud Alchemist

All sold :)

Ouddict and Mandeel AlMandeel like this.
  10. hedycent

hedycent Oud Fan

Well now , was standing when I opened this mornings package .... now I'm sitting.
    I just received Tyson's black sandalwood, the wood itself.
    I have Never held sandalwood that is so heavy.
    The scent is mind blowing , sooooo powerful and a profile I only have found in my dreams until now.
    The pieces are thick , solid and robust. Ideal for making the most high end beads you can imagine.
    I appreciate it if you could all delete Tyson's contact info and leave him all to me me me me me , joking.
    Everyone grab what you can from him while you can!

11. tyson

tyson Oud Alchemist

Wonderful , thanks you so much for the review of the wood . Im excited for you to get the oil , im sure once people get to smell its quality that it will be sold out lightning quick and held onto like a treasure . There were only 19 bottles made and im down to 13 now .

12. Santal Claus

Santal Claus Whats this Oud About?

Well now, @tyson certainly got some nice, fragrant material to enjoy. I love to see finds like this. It's also nice to see homemade distillation and to know that it came out great. Bravo. I'm no sandalwood expert, just a sandalwood lover. I'd like to know how, after sandalwood is cut and gets so old, that parts blacken. Perhaps there is some sort of oxidation, but I suspect that in a living tree with sapwood and all that heartwood in S. album doesn't turn black. Still, so amazing to see.

Mandeel AlMandeel and Ouddict like this.
  13. tyson

tyson Oud Alchemist

The black mysore was a very oil root and from the outside in you could not even tell it was black it just looked kinda dingy and grey but under that first later it was super dense shinny black wood perhaps the soil had something to do with it as past the first 1/4 inch it became less and less black , still fully resined/oiled but not as black. I think that the tree must have been cut down and the roots left there to rot but the oil saturation in the roots preserved the wood much like how it keeps agarwood from rotting well the parts that are resinated anyway and over time it changes it becomes more crystaline in structure and gets infused with the earth energy . this is why the wood smells more of musk and soil but still holds its buttery sweet mysore notes although mixed . I dont think oxidation played a part in its creation though as not alot of air would be present under the ground and getting though the fully resigned wood structure . If your interested in a sample @Santal Claus i can send you one , it would be great to hear your thoughts on this rare oil

Mandeel AlMandeel and Rai Munir like this.
  14. tyson

tyson Oud Alchemist

There are now less that 10 3ml bottles left of this oil so if anyone was thinking of getting one now would be advised

Mandeel AlMandeel and Ouddict like this.
  15. hedycent

hedycent Oud Fan

Agreed I don't think the woods dark colour is due to oxidisation. It's too pristine for that.
    As for the oil , it's top notch. After hours of physical work and rough skin contact my hand was still glowing with an incredibly rich Mysore wood scent. I'm a bit shocked that you still have any left to sell Tyson

16. ParadiseofOils

ParadiseofOils Resident Artisan

What price are you selling a bottle at? I couldn't see the price anywhere. :)

tyson likes this.
  17. tyson

tyson Oud Alchemist

The Celestial Gold Mysore #1 is 250.00 usd for 3 grams plus 15 usd for shipping

Mandeel AlMandeel and Habz786 like this.
  18. Rai Munir

Rai Munir Musk Man

@ Tyson, respected one, the notes you have mentioned that you sensed in wood and later in oil show the rarity of the wood distilled. Mysore Sandal is not just buttery and woody and citrus-y only, if the wood is fully ripe. Well, I am no expert at all, but I have experienced such wood that has been with me for decades. Moreover, Sandal is not my 'crush' oil that one day, out of blue, came on my way, and its woody buttery smile made me dote upon it. Rather, I have experienced such wood that is unquestionably old and old and old. Vendors didn't make that wood aged. Second, somehow or other, a little bit viscosity is a must if the wood is superb. Again, not as per vendors. The wood pics you uploaded are yardstick to measure quality wood. And oil, though I have just read description by now, but will receive that within a day or so, with a bit viscosity indicates the uniqueness of the oil. I have already been saying that Sandal is not supposed to be butter or wood centered. If they dominate, the wood is then A grade if not B, but surely not A plus.

Sandal unveils its beauty in fresh air after wearing that. Then one gets the true nature of Sandal. You just mentioned 'muskiness', and, yes, it has to be there. Maturity of wood causes this shade. Though this is just apparently musky.

For me the best Sandal oil must have these traits: Musky+Buttery+Woody+Citrus-y+Nameless Aroma+Slight Viscosity+NOT water colour-y. All these nuances and notes are possible in the wood you distilled, and distilled on your own. Otherwise, market is so cruel. Acquiring true Rose and Sandal is difficult than acquiring true Oud.

19. tyson

tyson Oud Alchemist

Yes true rose and sandalwood is very difficult indeed and one of the reasons i felt i needed to start distilling my own oils, for my energy work and meditations i need the highest grade and 100% purity The only bottle of sandalwood i have that i feel is worthy of being AAAAA is profumo 25 year old mysore which is beyond amazing but its also 150 euros a gram . Truely old mysore wood demands a great price in which lower grades of wood and young trees simply cannot produce. I wish we could return to the days of old were mysore and agarwood was plentiful but its not the time we live in . Im sure to make this quality of oil in ten years time will cost 10 times what it is now which would put it on par with the likes of the good grade agarwood oil . Sad really on the one hand but also good in a way in that people seem to respect it more when its so valuable so maybe alot more trees will be planted and kept longer than saplings before harvest . Ideally id like to see trees be able to make it too at least 60 years of age before any harvesting is done , trees less in age do not possess the refinement of age not the ethereal mystical quality that is more valuable that all the butter or wood notes .If possible i shall do my best to acquire the woods that still have this magic and distill them for the appreciation of the divine . A couple of favorite sandals were from Imperial Oud. I really cant say enough about the impeccable character of IO . Really amazing people and products

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  20. tyson

tyson Oud Alchemist

id like to offer 25% on the black mysore oil for the next week ,regular price is 250.00 usd . only 6 bottles left of a really rare and exceptional oil.

Promote Oud!