Mr.P

oud<3er
Agreed 5MeO - I can't handle cannabis' effects on my mind, but the aroma is amazing! I also love conifer sap, and there is this one kind of bark mulch people use around here - smells like China Exclusive... great stuff. I also love Mitti attar - what an amazing scent. There are some terra-cotta bowls that, when splashed with water, have the most intense rain/earth smell. Good stuff!

i have some attars but I enjoy my personal one who make it by my self Kashmiri musk mixed with fine quality of taifi rose I really love it!

IM_AU

Oud Fan
Thanks Oudamberlove
The star in this attar is Rose Damask, I don't think there is any taifi in this.

By the way Alshareef also sells Taifi rose as a stand alone perfume and it is fabulous

Last edited:

Mr.P

oud<3er
I am hoping to improve my understanding of musk oils. I have asked these questions at Basenotes but want to try again here just in case.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the following musk oils:

ASAQ black musk gazelle
ASAQ Kasturi musk
Ajmal AA musk gazelle
Ajmal AAA musk gazelle

I am curious about your thoughts about quality, resemblance to natural musk, and whether you think these oils contain any actual musk.

Thank you!

salam @Mr.P I smell one time musk from asaq & the smell was nice but I didn't like it to much , I enjoy my personal pure mixing Kashmiri musk with taifi rose more I mixed 2g inside 12ml of the taifi nice grade & I send small sample for @joel is aged less than year but still smell nice I hope he can give us his review when he get it

peter4ptv

Mr. P I purchase few month ago when was the regular 40% discount at online asaq store the ASAQ black musk gazelle.
Well totally different from what was before much sweeter a lot less power less darkness and I think I smelled muscone, I even have conversation about this with the Manager, I will need to dig up my emails to find it.
Interesting is asaq online even look like register in ME they have some warehouse for us purchases really close to me, usually I am getting my items in 2 days they are coming from around San Diego area in CA so it must be us register business.

I compared my Siberian Musk macerated in Sandalwood oil, to Ajmal Musk Gazelle AA, and to Sharif LaRoche's musk offerings. You can just tell by the smell, when all you're smelling is pure musk, but the others, even though they probably have added synthetics and perfumes, do have a part of real musk scent in them. Now wether that part/note is genuine musk or the synthetic equivalent of musk, I don't know:(
Ambergris seems more accessible, but I sure wish genuine musk grains were still plentiful, I would love to try Chinese, Nepalese, Himalayan, etc.

Habz786

Resident Artisan & Ouddict Co-Founder
Musk grains are not cheap at all so any of the lower priced oils i doubt contain any genuine musk but i could be mistaken. I have only smelt a few pure musk blends and there is something so heavenly about them. Musk engulfs you in a aura of mysteriousness which always draws people to saying " What are you wearing?"

joel

oooh... excited to try your mix of taif rose and musk Mandeel

I have 3 different musk attars from JK - all three from the same batch, but in different concentrations.
1 - 30% musk (2+g)
1 - 50 % (1,5g)
1 - Pure (1.5g)
He macerated the musk grains (Siberian I believe?) For 5+ years and then further diluted with vintage sandalwood. They are not cheap, but definitely an interesting element in my collection. I was really out to experience musk as it has been used in sacred ceremonies and traditions around the world for awakening, stimulating the glands, opening the channels, arousing and entrancing. It has definitely not been a disappointment.

Each of these oils are so different in character. Each like a mature perfume in itself, though only 2 ingredients - musk soaked sandalwood oil and then additional sandalwood to dilute the base. The 30% is light and fluffy, almost fruity. It is really accessible and I like combining with Oud.
The 50% I wear for meditation and it is richer and deeper. Almost chocolatey,
The Pure is like a torpedo blast. It is a pheremonal explosion of moist woodsy ambrosia, a sticky, dirty, mind numbing mysteriousness. with excessive sniffing it can easily becoming nauseating... perhaps because of the concentration

I just recently purchased a few grams of Tibetan musk grains from JK and have them soaking in 18g of JK Special Reserve Sandalwood.
He set it up for me in a nice 30 mL jar. I will post a picture later.
It has been just over 2 months and the smell is already very animal, urine like, overpowering. The musk is defintely very powerful and I don't know how anyone could ever not pick up the raw musk note (previous conversations on BN about some that are unable to smell musk). I shake it up every day and keep it on my altar. It should probably last me for the rest of my life as I dilute it and use it over. I like to apply between my eyebrows before meditation along with sacred ash.

oooh... excited to try your mix of taif rose and musk Mandeel

I have 3 different musk attars from JK - all three from the same batch, but in different concentrations.
1 - 30% musk (2+g)
1 - 50 % (1,5g)
1 - Pure (1.5g)
He macerated the musk grains (Siberian I believe?) For 5+ years and then further diluted with vintage sandalwood. They are not cheap, but definitely an interesting element in my collection. I was really out to experience musk as it has been used in sacred ceremonies and traditions around the world for awakening, stimulating the glands, opening the channels, arousing and entrancing. It has definitely not been a disappointment.

Each of these oils are so different in character. Each like a mature perfume in itself, though only 2 ingredients - musk soaked sandalwood oil and then additional sandalwood to dilute the base. The 30% is light and fluffy, almost fruity. It is really accessible and I like combining with Oud.
The 50% I wear for meditation and it is richer and deeper. Almost chocolatey,
The Pure is like a torpedo blast. It is a pheremonal explosion of moist woodsy ambrosia, a sticky, dirty, mind numbing mysteriousness. with excessive sniffing it can easily becoming nauseating... perhaps because of the concentration

I just recently purchased a few grams of Tibetan musk grains from JK and have them soaking in 18g of JK Special Reserve Sandalwood.
He set it up for me in a nice 30 mL jar. I will post a picture later.
It has been just over 2 months and the smell is already very animal, urine like, overpowering. The musk is defintely very powerful and I don't know how anyone could ever not pick up the raw musk note (previous conversations on BN about some that are unable to smell musk). I shake it up every day and keep it on my altar. It should probably last me for the rest of my life as I dilute it and use it over. I like to apply between my eyebrows before meditation along with sacred ash.

lovely review , musk with rose or sandal with more aged the smell go to more sweet and powdery the key here are the aging ... :)

m.arif

How to determine (or atleast accurately estimate)whether the carrier (sandalwood, etc) has been saturated with the musk compounds and can't take any more? Thus one can take out the grains and put in more sandalwood, for example.

riviera274

Administrator and Hindi Lover
Staff member
Took a couple swipes of ASO Itr Al Ward for a night on the town last night,my first time trying it but I knew sniffing from dipstick that this was a crowd pleaser,got compliments the whole night.I was doing a lot of socializing so I didn't get a chance to listen to the oil but when I first took a swipe I got Taif,frankincense and what seems to be bergamot(not listed),I also remember getting whifts of sandalwood throughout the night.Good longevity,I woke this morning to the creamiest sandalwood with a touch of oud in the background

Last edited:

Shabby

Has anyone tried the Monsoon Majmua attar from White rose aromatics? I'm looking to purchase and try this. It sounds lovely. I just had a bad experience with trying to source some attar from overseas so I'm staying stateside this time:(.
Hello I would say that the Monsoon Majmua is not their best offering. For me the Kewda and Saffron Majmuas are wonderful, and the Jasmine is also very nice. If they put up the Tuberose and Frangipani again I would recommend those too.

Samples don't cost too much though so you may want to give it a try anyway. All the best.

Last edited:

Shabby

By the way for anyone interested in Indian attars I could not recommend that website (White Lotus Aromatics) more highly, they have very good products and the couple behind the operation have a very deep knowledge of the products themselves as well as the traditional world view. Some of their articles on the florals are breathtakingly beautiful

It's a great pleasure to order from them every time.