Al Hashimi

Resident Artisan
What is Artisanal Oud Guild?

Hahahahaha... this logo was on for the Vegas Fayre last year and no one asked or noticed. The Artisanal Oud Guild is an initiative I started working on, to try to bring uniform standard of practice amongst the Oud vendors. The vendor does not have to be on Ouddict to join.

At the moment it’s very early stages and while the website is up on www.artisanaloudguild.org, we have not had the time to progress things. Eventually we will do, but progress will be slow due to the other commitments the vendors have... unless of course someone wants to run with the project and help bring about standards and run projects - the blind test that @powdernose conducted would be an activity that fits perfectly with the aims of the Guild.

One of the remits is a standardisation of terms used. What is the definition of “organic” or “wild” Oud for instance? Or what makes an oil “sinking” grade or “incense” grade. All member vendors would have to abide by that usage in their marketing and descriptions which would help customers enormously and prevent abuse and/or misunderstandings when customers purchase an Oud. So the idea is for vendors to be open and transparent and to help the customer and this is also aligned with the Ouddict forum philosophy so most of the vendors who are Resident Artisans here are part of the Artisanal Oud Guild. We hope that the seal becomes a marker of good practice and quality at some point.

To be honest, the pioneers of online Artisanal Oud should have done something like this a long time ago, but better late than never.

Last edited:

powdernose

Oud Sprite
BTW the OP does not include date and location details. Probably best to edit them in.

Hahahahaha... this logo was on for the Vegas Fayre last year and no one asked or noticed. The Artisanal Oud Guild is an initiative I started working on, to try to bring uniform standard of practice amongst the Oud vendors. The vendor does not have to be on Ouddict to join.

At the moment it’s very early stages and while the website is up on www.artisanaloudguild.org, we have not had the time to progress things. Eventually we will do, but progress will be slow due to the other commitments the vendors have... unless of course someone wants to run with the project and help bring about standards and run projects - the blind test that @powdernose conducted would be an activity that fits perfectly with the aims of the Guild.

One of the remits is a standardisation of terms used. What is the definition of “organic” or “wild” Oud for instance? Or what makes an oil “sinking” grade or “incense” grade. All member vendors would have to abide by that usage in their marketing and descriptions which would help customers enormously and prevent abuse and/or misunderstandings when customers purchase an Oud. So the idea is for vendors to be open and transparent and to help the customer and this is also aligned with the Ouddict forum philosophy so most of the vendors who are Resident Artisans here are part of the Artisanal Oud Guild. We hope that the seal becomes a marker of good practice and quality at some point.

To be honest, the pioneers of online Artisanal Oud should have done something like this a long time ago, but better late than never.

I believe one of the Artisanal Guild's objectives was to also introduce more and more GCMS testing. 1. To build up a useful database and 2. To try and create standards based on said GCMS testing.

Speaking of the Blind Test, @Ouddict mentioned re-purposing the result sheet to create a meaningful indexed review database. Is that still on?

Ouddict

Ouddict Co-Founder & Tech Support
BTW the OP does not include date and location details. Probably best to edit them in.

I believe one of the Artisanal Guild's objectives was to also introduce more and more GCMS testing. 1. To build up a useful database and 2. To try and create standards based on said GCMS testing.

Speaking of the Blind Test, @Ouddict mentioned re-purposing the result sheet to create a meaningful indexed review database. Is that still on?

You are right about the GCMS testing component. The database project is also on the cards, but due to my other responsibilities, it is best left for a non-commercial party to take it up... @powdernose ? I am more than happy to help out of course.

powdernose

Oud Sprite
You are right about the GCMS testing component. The database project is also on the cards, but due to my other responsibilities, it is best left for a non-commercial party to take it up... @powdernose ? I am more than happy to help out of course.

I look forward to the GCMS component.

I think the database falls beyond my skill-set. PM me with the specifics of the task and I'll let you know for sure.

Cheers

Ouddict

I look forward to the GCMS component.

I think the database falls beyond my skill-set. PM me with the specifics of the task and I'll let you know for sure.

Cheers

I’m still running all the development on the site, so if I can provide the database, can you do the population of the database?

@jensz and @riviera274 can oversee the effort

Reactions: MzM

Adweeya Mufriha

Oud Mystic
I have noted the dates... bugger is that I have an obligation early monday morning in Switzerland (the 4th)... will see what I can do I would love to attend, meet artisans, fellow ouddicts, learn a a lot from our knowledge-treasure peers and likely bleed my bank account ;D

Just a question: The banner mentions London, but @Sproaty mentioned Wales on his post... Is the location already decided upon?

Warm regards to all, gratitude for the initiative, and a special thanks to @Nadeem & @Faizal_p for the organisation work!

Al Hashimi

Resident Artisan
I have noted the dates... bugger is that I have an obligation early monday morning in Switzerland (the 4th)... will see what I can do I would love to attend, meet artisans, fellow ouddicts, learn a a lot from our knowledge-treasure peers and likely bleed my bank account ;D

Just a question: The banner mentions London, but @Sproaty mentioned Wales on his post... Is the location already decided upon?

Warm regards to all, gratitude for the initiative, and a special thanks to @Nadeem & @Faizal_p for the organisation work!

Really hope you can come... the issue with the dates is that any date we chose conflicts with someones plans, so we just had to make a decision. The Fayre is on Saturday and Sunday so you could quite easily spend all day Saturday and Sunday morning and leave Sunday early afternoon... should be back in Switzerland for the evening!

Adweeya Mufriha

Oud Mystic
Really hope you can come... the issue with the dates is that any date we chose conflicts with someones plans, so we just had to make a decision. The Fayre is on Saturday and Sunday so you could quite easily spend all day Saturday and Sunday morning and leave Sunday early afternoon... should be back in Switzerland for the evening!

Of course! It is normal to proceed with a decision first for collective events.

I was not posting to complain but to share my enthusiasm and hope that I will manage to make it :)

London makes it easier travelwise, and we can leep joking with @Sproaty about the first international welsh oud fayre
to come :D

Last edited:

Ouddict

UK OudFest 2019 Final Banner.jpeg