jalil

Oud bully
Wow! This thread has gone way beyond the simple question...

Bottom line:
1) “no skin contact” good for resale.
2) long as area being swiped is washed, clean & dry nothing to worry about.

Right...?

1) yes
2) no because 1

:D

peter4ptv

For most my ouds from known vendors I use the plastic applicator without ever touching anything just letting the drop fall freely on my finger, I don’t like to even use toothpicks, and this is only because possibility of sales or exchanges and I rarely use any of them anyway anymore, smell from cap is enough if I need.

I have few tolla bottles hindi and sandalwood oils from unknown vendors that are about half full now since I have been using them for the last 3 years with direct swipes from the plastic applicator and just look them last night with a light under magnified glass and I see absolutely nothing inside the oils are crystal clear. So I think someone must have pretty bad skin in order after use to have particles left flying in the oil. Well if you look under microscope that’s a different story.

Oh and I do not invest in oud……….or bitcoins……………………:Roflmao::Roflmao::Roflmao::Roflmao::Roflmao::Roflmao::Roflmao::Roflmao::Roflmao::D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Rai Munir

Musk Man
All are to be respected. And all are respected here. This is the only thing that this Forum cares about. Otherwise, forums are everywhere.

Sometimes, due to different frame of reference, different view-points appear. It is not only freedom of choice but also beauty of life. We respect all points and frames of reference.

From every hill and mole hill, let freedom (of choice) ring. I read more than wise words by Shakespeare's fools. And the best thing I never forget is : Children and fools speak the truth. When one gets hurts due to unconsciously uttered/ expressed words and gestures of mine, that is beyond remedy. I learnt late in life that anything bitter can be said putting a smile.

All are true, because none has all-encompassing vision.

Peace, peace, peace!

Last edited:

Rezwan

Kōdō Aesthetic
Reading about foreign material in oils reminds me of videos I’ve seen where the wood for distillation gets chopped up on the ground, and carvers smoking while carving, and carving dust on the floor, probably swept up to make oud. Their feet also used to hold the wood in place.
Even if you wash the wood shavings before distillation, I imagine all sorts of matter, critters, and cigarette butts get inadvertently included into the pot. Hence, Tobacco Note:Roflmao::Roflmao:
Lastly, some Distillers filter the oil before decanting. Can you imagine what was left in the filter:confused:

But I’m not complaining. If you needed a sterile laboratory to distill oud, then the price of the oils would double or triple:Geek:
This is hilarious 😂 nice points tho 🤣

James1

True Ouddict
You can just end up getting bacteria and flakes of dead skin, the oud that you previously swiped in the same spot, lotion, etc. I work in a metal shop so it's not uncommon for me to have flakes of metal or metal dust on my skin that I don't want in my oud. I'm not sure if there's any chemical reaction with metal that will affect the oud but it seems possible to me. The reason that some metals have a scent at all is actually because they react with the oils in your skin, its not the metal itself.

Usually if I have a new bottle and I'm considering selling it I will use a very clean object to swipe the oil with. I personally wouldn't want to buy a bottle that has been used unhygenically and if I have a bottle with a swiper that has touched my skin I will mark down the price quite a bit.

If I like the oil and I don't plan to sell it then I decide based on the size of the bottle. With tiny sample sized bottles I'm a bit less careful but I basically just make sure my skin looks clean and dry. With 1g+ sized bottles I will usually clean my skin before applying oud, or just use another thing to swipe with. I also swipe in a certain way that reduces contamination. I basically get enough oud on the swiper that it almost strips off the end, and I touch the ball of oud at the end of the swiper to my skin, but the swiper itself does not actually touch my skin. That way there is really nothing that gathers contaminants and goes back into the bottle.

mahmadna

Oud Fan
I get weary when buying 2ndary oils from resellers. There's no way of telling if the ouds were really "cleanly extracted" or "no skin contact", unless you really see foreign materials in the oils or you smell something strange in the ouds.

Then again, if you haven't sample the oils, then you have no idea how the smell profile is like.

I guess you just have to just trust the seller.