Al Shareef Oudh

Master Perfumer
The world around us, the amazing creation, the perfect balance and the whale poop. People tend to think that Ambergris is the whale vomit, that isn't entirely accurate. It is the whale vomit that comes out of its rectum and therefore it has many of the characteristics of all the other 'things' that come out of the rectum. What an amazing world we live in, that we the most intelligent of the beings on earth find immense pleasure and joy smelling Ambergris...

There are all sorts of Ambergris around, and when you have been playing around with this stuff as long as I have, it takes something exceptional to surprise you. That's exactly what I thought when I first received this;
ambergris.jpg

From La Maison Khenata . The experience was so exceptional and very unorthodox that I took it to our lab and spent a week testing it. Yes it is Ambergris, and yes it is exceptionally beautiful.

I'll share in this thread, what I did with these beauties. You will be blown away with the final product.

Al Shareef Oudh

Master Perfumer
ambergris 2.jpg

So the gentle grinding begins...

Ambergris is the result of indigestion (only if our own could be this valuable)whales can't seem to handle the beaks on the squid to well. The beaks cause irritation in the digestive system and in an effort to protect the intestinal tract, the whales digestive system excrete a fatty substance that in its essence is a steroid. This gathers around the beaks and becomes a blooby substance that is then exited from the rectum of the whale. Coming through that system bestows some inherent fecal character to the lump. The lump being a fatty substance floats the oceans, gets bleached, absorbs the oceanic salty attribute and it continues to float around the ocean until it is cast on a beach. For centuries ambergris was a mythical substance until whale hunters made the link. The sperm whale being the only whale type that produces this amazing substance, it is most valuable as an ingredient. As the ancient Chinese incense makers would say "Musk projects the fragrance of a scent and ambergris binds everything in harmony".

When grinding ambergris little pieces of squid beak is usually found in it, and the ambrein which is the main fragrant ingredient in Ambergris doesn't really flare up until it becomes ambrein oxide. In blends in primary form it works as a kind of blanket over the other scents, but once applied to the skin, and warms up that is when it becomes alive...

Rai Munir

Musk Man
@Al Shareef Oudh
Respected Sir, if you could share the information about Ambergris' being white, brown and black, it will be a great favour. I mean why do it either gets white, brown or black? Second, as Ambergris is collected from different sea shores, is it play some role regarding quality of Ambergris?

A few days before I acquired chunks of Ambergris from two different sources. One of those chunks is brownish, which is incredibly psychoactive and moving.

Generally it is said that white Ambergris is rather good. Is it really so?

Thanks

F4R1d0uX

Resident Artisan
The world around us, the amazing creation, the perfect balance and the whale poop. People tend to think that Ambergris is the whale vomit, that isn't entirely accurate. It is the whale vomit that comes out of its rectum and therefore it has many of the characteristics of all the other 'things' that come out of the rectum. What an amazing world we live in, that we the most intelligent of the beings on earth find immense pleasure and joy smelling Ambergris...

There are all sorts of Ambergris around, and when you have been playing around with this stuff as long as I have, it takes something exceptional to surprise you. That's exactly what I thought when I first received this;
View attachment 4223

From La Maison Khenata . The experience was so exceptional and very unorthodox that I took it to our lab and spent a week testing it. Yes it is Ambergris, and yes it is exceptionally beautiful.

I'll share in this thread, what I did with these beauties. You will be blown away with the final product.

I spent hard days :Roflmao::Roflmao::Roflmao: !

F4R1d0uX

Resident Artisan
@Al Shareef Oudh
Respected Sir, if you could share the information about Ambergris' being white, brown and black, it will be a great favour. I mean why do it either gets white, brown or black? Second, as Ambergris is collected from different sea shores, is it play some role regarding quality of Ambergris?

A few days before I acquired chunks of Ambergris from two different sources. One of those chunks is brownish, which is incredibly psychoactive and moving.

Thanks

personaly I never had info on area giving different smell ...
Area is given to prove authenticity (If I sell ambergris from Bordeaux, you'd better run away).

Al Shareef Oudh

Master Perfumer
@Al Shareef Oudh

Thanks

Dear brother Rai, ambergris or lets just say the blob that exits the whales rectum, on exit from the whales body is dark in colour, dark brown sometimes nearly black. This usually signifies the younger ambergris, meaning it has been excreted out from the whale recently. If the blob is soft then it is fresher compare to if the same colour is hard. As the ambergris spends time surfing the ocean it changes colour due to the light of the sun and salt water bleaching it. This effects the exterior first before the interior, the shades of dark drop into lighter shades until it reaches white. If one finds a piece of ambergris that has been bleached through and through, i.e is white on the outside and on the inside, then that piece is very very very old and has been floating on the surface of the ocean for a very long time. Usually the white will be white on the outside and grey or darker on the inside.

Ambergris dries out and loses volume over time, especially after it lands on the beach sand.

The most potent is the darker colours and the more silky smooth are the whiter colours. The whiter ambergris demands a higher price and is more sought after in general terms of modern perfumery. However for specific application then the perfumer chose that which provides the necessary attribute.

I find that we can do more with the grey/light brown in terms of application than with the white. The white tends to be more of a fixer and lacks the ability to provide dynamism in its own right.

rojas

As always Valuable information . Your post addresses so many of my misconceptions on the colour and quality of ambergris Thankyou !

Al Shareef Oudh

Master Perfumer
There were a couple of lumps of whale poo
ambergris.jpg

and some musk pods...
musk.jpg

lots of creative love and labour
grounding.jpg

lots of stirring, folding and smelling, more folding, stirring and smelling... then there was a paste...
paste.jpg

TEEB • Upcoming release.

The most beautiful things around us are simple. Yet we get so carried away with the complex world we have created around us that we look into complexity for beauty.

Teeb is one of the most beautiful fragrances known to man, crafted from the most rare of natural ingredients: Beach cast ambergris and ethically harvested Siberian musk, prepared in accordance to Alchemy methods dating back 1439 years.

A most wonderful of scents that celebrates the beauty of Ambergris and Musk, not as an oil but akin to a balm.

In the old world these two ingredients played a pivotal role in the best of scents, unlike oils, balms last much longer on the skin and the beautiful musky wafts of oceanic breeze with sprinkles of leather, tobacco and garnishes of basil flower engulf you for hours.

Unique creations....Al Shareef *Watch this space*

Joe King

AttitOud
Sounds delicious, please tell me it doesn't have rose in it:rolleyes: my aversion to rose in most things prevents me enjoying so many great attars etc.

Al Shareef Oudh

Master Perfumer

TEEB - The Fragrance
In the old world these two ingredients played a pivotal role in the best of scents. As the ancient Chinese incense makers would say "Musk projects the fragrance of a scent and ambergris binds everything in harmony". We delicately grounded the ambergris and then the musk, added the two together and continued grounding until the combination was a fine dust. Adding fine touches of ambergris oil and oudh we folded and beat the ingredients into a silky smooth fine paste.

Released While Stocks Last