Grega

True Ouddict
Dearest Peter is horribly traditional Hindi:Poop::Poop::Poop:. No doubt he can guide in a best possible way.
I will have to ask him for guidance too then :)
Thanks

Grega

True Ouddict
I don't find Agarwood Assam's oils too "barny", the 4 that I've tried (Lushai/Meitei/Nagaland/Jiri Jiri) have been all very smooth and refined.
It sounds like I've missed some great oils from him like the Laos 95
That sounds perfect for me. For example - I loved my first Hindi (Mukhmil) precisely because it had a refined and silky smooth scent.

Grega

True Ouddict
After a day of working outside, preparing and storing firewood, I was not in the mood for a heavy oil but for something soothing and tranquil. Rose de Malaise by La Maison Khenata seemed like the most natural choice. It opened with a comforting scent that did not necessarily remind me of a rose (although the scent could work well for an imaginary rose) but more of rose leaves and roots due to a slight earthy mineral scent that did remind me of Habzoud's Ard albeit here the texture is more smooth. This is a lovely scent! But the character of the opening quickly changes as certain aspects seem to have evaporated. Something new remains. A sweetness emerges that feels more like sugar than honey. A clean scent without a trace of any unpleasant notes. There is a thick creamy texture in there somewhere that has a musty slightly animalic character (though not really musk). There is also an almost animal urine note hiding in there somewhere at the edge of the scent, not unpleasant together with the whole, a sour aspect complementing the sweetness. For a simple opening the scent now feels pretty complex although not too much as the scent still feels focused enough to be very enjoyable. It feels more dry now.
Another phase awaits as the scent transforms into something new. Iris aged with musk and resinous wood. Very nice.
I truly enjoyed this oud. It was perfect to end the day with.

Last edited:

F4R1d0uX

Resident Artisan
After a day of working outside, preparing and storing firewood, I was not in the mood for a heavy oil but for something soothing and tranquil. Rose de Malaise by La Maison Khenata seemed like the most natural choice. It opened with a comforting scent that did not necessarily remind me of a rose (although the scent could work well for an imaginary rose) but more of rose leaves and roots due to a slight earthy mineral scent that did remind me of Habzoud's Ard albeit here the texture is more smooth. This is a lovely scent! But the character of the opening quickly changes as certain aspects seem to have evaporated. Something new remains. A sweetness emerges that feels more like sugar than honey. A clean scent without a trace of any unpleasant notes. There is a thick creamy texture in there somewhere that has a musty slightly animalic character (though not really musk). There is also an almost animal urine note hiding in there somewhere at the edge of the scent, not unpleasant together with the whole, a sour aspect complementing the sweetness. For a simple opening the scent now feels pretty complex although not too much as the scent still feels focused enough to be very enjoyable. It feels more dry now.
Another phase awaits as the scent transforms into something new. Iris aged with musk and resinous wood. Very nice.
I truly enjoyed this oud. It was perfect to end the day with.

Super job @Grega detecting so many notes :clapping: !

Grega

True Ouddict
Today I tried Ensar Oud's Borneo 50K.

The feelings and the associations that you get from a scent are filtered by your consciousness, colored by your personality and the state you are in. But I don't think this means that these are arbitrary. The oil has a structure that brings out these associations and not others. Here I get a feeling of light passing through a golden ethereal liquid/air. It is only slightly bitter and I don't find it "green" smelling. The sweetness is perfectly balanced by that slight touch of bitterness. Neither fruits nor flowers nor even incense here. Neither dry nor wet. It does smell like golden radiant nectar filling you with a sweet feeling of light that flows through your body. I was surprised to find that as the oil settled I could clearly detect a scent of mint which I usually would not seek in perfumes nor in oils but here it is such a well integrated aspect that I am loving it. It is a softer non piercing mint that feels like a white center from which radiates this sweet golden light.
After some time this golden light transforms into the scent of the ocean, fresh, soothing. There is clarity here that feels like you are staring at the ancient waters that go on and on. Very enjoyable. I would not wear this style of oud often but when I would get the itch to wear it this would be a very satisfying oil.

Grega

True Ouddict
Been pretty busy lately so less time for engaging in a meaningful way on the forum. Finally had the time to write my newest impressions. Tried a lovely oil: Syed's Ascent.

With this oil I find myself at the edge of a forest, dressed in autumn colours. A chestnut tree stands nearby where children are gathering fallen chestnuts, first stepping on them with their shoes so they separate from the spiky husk surrounding them. And 'neath a group of beech trees their masts lie scattered while a cold breeze brings the scent of a smoldering pile of leaves where somebody somehow managed to throw some rubber into the mix :D. And here I suspect that I am smelling that "shoe factory scent" of which Rai Munir talks about and that this oil is from Merauke.

Yes, the scent reminds me of beech masts for some reason (I have a feeling there is a similarity but can't exactly remember how mast smells like, will have to try it again) and chestnuts (more for the warm feelings in association than for the smell) but with a slight mint aspect that develops when the oil settles. There is a smoky texture that further makes one think of autumn time.

There is one aspect here that I am ambivalent about. There is something resembling the scent of rubber that combined with the texture quality resembling smoke gives the effect of heated gum in shoe factories. But really that would not be my first association thankfully as most of the time that smoky dark beech mast like scent dominates giving warm feelings on a cold autumn evening. If not for that rubber aspect I would love this oil but alas :(

Rasoul Salehi

True Ouddict
Today I tried Ensar Oud's Borneo 50K.

The feelings and the associations that you get from a scent are filtered by your consciousness, colored by your personality and the state you are in. But I don't think this means that these are arbitrary. The oil has a structure that brings out these associations and not others. Here I get a feeling of light passing through a golden ethereal liquid/air. It is only slightly bitter and I don't find it "green" smelling. The sweetness is perfectly balanced by that slight touch of bitterness. Neither fruits nor flowers nor even incense here. Neither dry nor wet. It does smell like golden radiant nectar filling you with a sweet feeling of light that flows through your body. I was surprised to find that as the oil settled I could clearly detect a scent of mint which I usually would not seek in perfumes nor in oils but here it is such a well integrated aspect that I am loving it. It is a softer non piercing mint that feels like a white center from which radiates this sweet golden light.
After some time this golden light transforms into the scent of the ocean, fresh, soothing. There is clarity here that feels like you are staring at the ancient waters that go on and on. Very enjoyable. I would not wear this style of oud often but when I would get the itch to wear it this would be a very satisfying oil.
Very much mirrors my own experience. Fully agree. There is a vannilic edge too. You’ll see it next time. And a creamsicle cream soda note. Soft. Lastly pay particular attention to the dry down. NUTS. That’s where this oil gets its legend status. Rightfully. Malinau is a holly grail subregion

Rasoul Salehi

True Ouddict
Been pretty busy lately so less time for engaging in a meaningful way on the forum. Finally had the time to write my newest impressions. Tried a lovely oil: Syed's Ascent.

With this oil I find myself at the edge of a forest, dressed in autumn colours. A chestnut tree stands nearby where children are gathering fallen chestnuts, first stepping on them with their shoes so they separate from the spiky husk surrounding them. And 'neath a group of beech trees their masts lie scattered while a cold breeze brings the scent of a smoldering pile of leaves where somebody somehow managed to throw some rubber into the mix :D. And here I suspect that I am smelling that "shoe factory scent" of which Rai Munir talks about and that this oil is from Merauke.

Yes, the scent reminds me of beech masts for some reason (I have a feeling there is a similarity but can't exactly remember how mast smells like, will have to try it again) and chestnuts (more for the warm feelings in association than for the smell) but with a slight mint aspect that develops when the oil settles. There is a smoky texture that further makes one think of autumn time.

There is one aspect here that I am ambivalent about. There is something resembling the scent of rubber that combined with the texture quality resembling smoke gives the effect of heated gum in shoe factories. But really that would not be my first association thankfully as most of the time that smoky dark beech mast like scent dominates giving warm feelings on a cold autumn evening. If not for that rubber aspect I would love this oil but alas :(
One of the few genre of oils I don’t get yet. I don’t get their appeal. I mean the vaporous maroke. This. Xll. While or5, sultani 90... are awesome. Those deep incensy soft round thick notes

Grega

True Ouddict
Very much mirrors my own experience. Fully agree. There is a vannilic edge too. You’ll see it next time. And a creamsicle cream soda note. Soft. Lastly pay particular attention to the dry down. NUTS. That’s where this oil gets its legend status. Rightfully. Malinau is a holly grail subregion
I definitely get that vanillic edge now, nice :) And as the oil settles it becomes more noticeable, the edge really smells very much like actual bourbon vanilla (which I love to add to my coffee, mmm).
Will pay attention to the dry down! Thanks for the tips.

Last edited:

Grega

True Ouddict
One of the few genre of oils I don’t get yet. I don’t get their appeal. I mean the vaporous maroke. This. Xll. While or5, sultani 90... are awesome. Those deep incensy soft round thick notes
Yes, those thick deep incensy notes are what I craved for when trying Syed's Ascent. It is a shame as overall the profile of the scent is very evocative.

Grega

True Ouddict
V= Hindustan 1 by AA

Another mystery sample.
Vial V ;)

Well I thought that this would be a shy oil. How wrong I was. It is emanating wonderful wafts of resinous sweetness. This is what I enjoy, that I don't have to stick my nose to my wrist. You can get a more full-bodied scent when smelling from afar. My smelling faculties are not at my best today so I can't find all the hidden notes but I know that I am really enjoying the experience. It smells of heated resin without even a touch of smoke. It reminds me of that clean resinous core scent of Hindi Oud oils that I tried but without any barn. Pure, velvety smooth scent full of depth to get lost in. And as it settles I sense a dark chocolate aspect to it. One of my favorites so far. Wonderful!

Last edited:

Grega

True Ouddict
First there were x,y, and z vials. This time Vial V. Is this V for Victory or V for five:p. If five, there will be I, II, III, and IV too.
It was a Victorius sample as I loved it.
There are two more of these, totaling in 6 blind test samples which Woodland Notes also received. Then all shall be revealed ;)

Grega

True Ouddict
W= Mandalay Signature by LMK

Finally I am able to return to my mysterious samples. I've had a hectic month as I had only that much time to prepare the program for a new concert (and some other issues) so I had zero energy to write my impressions. Today I was finally able to sit and truly enjoy the ouds.

Sample W
It is a very potent oil. When applied it continues to radiate a strong velvety scent. It is sweet, makes you think of a young joyful spirit playing on meadows without a single worry in his/her mind. It reminds me of a nice floral tea. Chamomiles perhaps. And the pure quality of tencha. Carefree early summers and zephyrs. The depth is astounding. It feels complex but it is almost impossible to analyze its manifold notes, you sense they are there but can't separate them. Well aged I guess?
There are zero harsh notes here. I will not say that it does not smell like oud as I have learned never to expect how oud oils should smell like.
Being so sweet and lovely it makes me wish there was some bitterness here. I guess it is best for when you need some carefree joy after trials and tribulations. Which is true of today. WONDERFUL!

Somehow the v and w samples make me feel like the wood comes from the same species. I have no knowledge of these only that I find some common base to all these oils including the hindi ouds I tried.

Last edited:

Rai Munir

Musk Man
Finally I am able to return to my mysterious samples. I've had a hectic month as I had only that much time to prepare the program for a new concert (and some other issues) so I had zero energy to write my impressions. Today I was finally able to sit and truly enjoy the ouds.

Sample W
It is a very potent oil. When applied it continues to radiate a strong velvety scent. It is sweet, makes you think of a young joyful spirit playing on meadows without a single worry in his/her mind. It reminds me of a nice floral tea. Chamomiles perhaps. And the pure quality of tencha. Carefree early summers and zephyrs. The depth is astounding. It feels complex but it is almost impossible to analyze its manifold notes, you sense they are there but can't separate them. Well aged I guess?
There are zero harsh notes here. I will not say that it does not smell like oud as I have learned never to expect how oud oils should smell like.
Being so sweet and lovely it makes me wish there was some bitterness here. I guess it is best for when you need some carefree joy after trials and tribulations. Which is true of today. WONDERFUL!

Somehow the v and w samples make me feel like the wood comes from the same species. I have no knowledge of these only that I find some common base to all these oils including the hindi ouds I tried.
Thumb up! I love to read such type of reviews.

Dear Grega, have you reviewed the vial with the tag 'V'?

Grega

True Ouddict
Thumb up! I love to read such type of reviews.

Dear Grega, have you reviewed the vial with the tag 'V'?
Thanks! Lately I prefer to keep my written impressions simple without worrying about missing this or that note...much more enjoyable.

I did post a short impression of the V sample a while back. It's up there dated october 7th.

Only T sample left to try!

Grega

True Ouddict
T= Green Papua by EO

Figures. After I finally sit down to see what impressions the last of the mystery samples will leave, I notice that I have a bit of a blocked nose thus allowing just a portion of the profile to come through (even if I applied a generous swipe).
The opening is extremely masculine although I am unsure if masculine is the right word. Let us say that it is not a pretty opening. Bitter, dark and rubbery dryness starts this journey. This is not my favourite profile but after trying several oils which appear to be similar I feel like I am warming up to this type of oil. The opening quickly turns into something more pleasant. Almost like a scent of dark chocolate with orange rind mixed with it. At first I would say that there isn't anything sweet about it but then I notice a tiny glimmer of sweetness along with something reminding me of a sour curd scent that joins the bitter rind and chocolate. All these aspects are in the front while from the background emanates a fresh menthol like scent.

A pleasant oil with a rough opening that is not to my taste. Perhaps when my nose feels better I will try it again.

But first I am excited to post my impressions of some Rising Phoenix ouds. Will be on a RPP binge in the coming days. Let me just say for now that they are wonderful and especially one of them completely suits my tastes and leaves me transfixed by its beauty and elegance. All of them are also from cultivated wood I think.

Last edited: