William Birch

Oud Fanatic
Hello everyone I hope you’re all doing very well today.

I apologise if this is not the correct forum to ask this question I didn’t know where to post it.

Anyway, last year I tinctured some Agarwood powder in perfumers alcohol and it’s been left to mature for about 6 months now.

I found it incredibly nice very interesting as it smells like resin a very clean scent.

This got me thinking about doing some more tincturing but the wood powder I used I don’t think is the best quality sadly and I’d like to step up the quality a bit.

Could anyone recommend any vendors that offer Oud in powder form?

I tried tincturing some wood in chip form but I think the alcohol soaks up the scent easier in powder form. I’m not entirely sure if that’s scientific or just my imagination though.

I also think that I probably shouldn’t use incredibly high quality wood as that wood should be used as incense.

Thank you everyone!

The Scent Guru

Agarwhoreder
Staff member
does the vitamix create a heat during crushing?
not enough to start any degradation to the powder or gummy issues. I do use the blade/container to make peanut butter, the "dry" blades. No, it's perfect, the powder I produce falls thru fine mesh strainers and I use it primarily for incense but have used food grade solvent and made resins.

language scent

True Woodict
I think @language scent has done plenty of experimenting.
for tiny chips i have even used a pepper grinder lol, a blender the ones used to make velvet soups. im sure a lot of vendors sell powderd high grade. you might want to be careful how much alcohol you use, the less you use the less top notes will be lost this is tested and confirmed from me many times. when the alcohol can not absorb any more resin/oils this is the best state of tincture of you want to have an aromatic monster. also if you leave it for 6months it wont change anything unless you add ambergris or other fixatives. i think you have the best method to powder the wood, as long as he doesnt throw chunks in it to break the thing

William Birch

Oud Fanatic
for tiny chips i have even used a pepper grinder lol, a blender the ones used to make velvet soups. im sure a lot of vendors sell powderd high grade. you might want to be careful how much alcohol you use, the less you use the less top notes will be lost this is tested and confirmed from me many times. when the alcohol can not absorb any more resin/oils this is the best state of tincture of you want to have an aromatic monster. also if you leave it for 6months it wont change anything unless you add ambergris or other fixatives. i think you have the best method to powder the wood, as long as he doesnt throw chunks in it to break the thing
Very informative thank you very very much!

language scent

True Woodict
Very informative thank you very very much!
Also use a syringe to remove the tincture from the jar with the powder but you have to let it settle for at least 5-7 days it should be black then add a tiny bit of alcohol again and do the same. After 3-5 times the tincture color will be lighter meaning you removed the most of it