Pigaro

Oud Beginner
I'm tempted to try some attars/oils, but also wanted to venture a little into some niche/uncommon fragrances.

Ideally low budget recommendations, or ones with sampling possibilities.

I'm keen on trying something with oud/patchouli, something that stands out, is attention grabbing and not barnyard/skanky.

TDK

Oud Fanatic
This is a really tough request, especially taking into account affordability (Good One!). I suggest you try 5 different ouds with a VERY nice patchouli, hinoki, rose, musk, jasmine and some others that do not readily come to my mind. Try different swipes, in different quantities until you find some you like together and then make a small quantity of your attar. Most of the attars that I still like after more than a few months are more expensive than a pretty good oud. The others which are still nice, I have blended myself or other people have as a hobby. Some are still awesome and some are no longer wearable to me. Please consider aging is the key so you will want to work with small quantities that are documented exactly.

Pigaro

Oud Beginner
This is a really tough request, especially taking into account affordability (Good One!). I suggest you try 5 different ouds with a VERY nice patchouli, hinoki, rose, musk, jasmine and some others that do not readily come to my mind. Try different swipes, in different quantities until you find some you like together and then make a small quantity of your attar. Most of the attars that I still like after more than a few months are more expensive than a pretty good oud. The others which are still nice, I have blended myself or other people have as a hobby. Some are still awesome and some are no longer wearable to me. Please consider aging is the key so you will want to work with small quantities that are documented exactly.

Interesting, thank you! Do you have any advice on starting this? I was interested in making my own, but I know that I will be very excited to try it out and then I'll end up probably ditching the idea when I've already invested a little time and money into it because I won't know how to progress.

Where would I start with buying oud or other oils, and what sort of equipment would I need?

THank you once again :)

TDK

Oud Fanatic
Interesting, thank you! Do you have any advice on starting this? I was interested in making my own, but I know that I will be very excited to try it out and then I'll end up probably ditching the idea when I've already invested a little time and money into it because I won't know how to progress.

Where would I start with buying oud or other oils, and what sort of equipment would I need?

THank you once again :)
You will need some decent quality glass bottles that do not leak and some disposable pipettes. Use a notepad to keep an exact count of how many drops you put in each bottle. Total for the samples should be small. If you like it after 6 months, make more. This is why it is so important for you to keep your exact recipe. If it is just for you, make a total of 6ml or less if you like it. You can use ethyl or jojoba oil if your choose to cut your attar. I do not cut.

Your olfactory will evolve so don't make too much.

I would start with getting the oils mentioned above from Yuniarti Soembada on Facebook which are high quality and affordable. You can also look at Hermitage in Italy. Many choices and always quality from both sellers. Start with small amounts initially. This is a learning hobby which can really challenge you.

Pigaro

Oud Beginner
You will need some decent quality glass bottles that do not leak and some disposable pipettes. Use a notepad to keep an exact count of how many drops you put in each bottle. Total for the samples should be small. If you like it after 6 months, make more. This is why it is so important for you to keep your exact recipe. If it is just for you, make a total of 6ml or less if you like it. You can use ethyl or jojoba oil if your choose to cut your attar. I do not cut.

Your olfactory will evolve so don't make too much.

I would start with getting the oils mentioned above from Yuniarti Soembada on Facebook which are high quality and affordable. You can also look at Hermitage in Italy. Many choices and always quality from both sellers. Start with small amounts initially. This is a learning hobby which can really challenge you.

Thank you, unfortunately I'm in UK so those two might not be the best idea if money is a concern, I've also looked at the oud price from Hermitage and, yeah, its quite up there understandably haha.

Would I be ok using oud aroma chemicals or something cheaper? I know the quality will dwindle a bit, but I haven't actually smelled individual notes yet.

Pigaro

Oud Beginner
Welcome to OUDDICT @Pigaro !

There are a great number of reputable sellers in the UK and I believe we have a few resident artisans, also in the UK. I'd start by opening a conversation with one of the resident artisans near you, I am sure you can find what you're looking for.
Thank you :) Would you be able to recommend anyone or guide me where to look in these forums? Still getting used to it haha