Moataz A

Oud Beginner
hello friends, anyone had any experience buying oud oil from Arabian Oud whither online(arabianoud.com) or in Arabian Oud stores?
also can someone explain the differences between their Oud oils types.. Maliki, Aged, Special and Soufi?!
I don't know which one should I get.. I'm planning to mix it with Deer Musk

Last edited:

Andrew Salkin

it's aboud time!
Staff member
Can I ask - are you committed to buying your oud from Arabian Oud? It's pretty well understood around these parts that you aren't going to get the best quality of oil from a shop like this and you'll end up paying ALOT for what you get. Their oils will also be ridiculously thick, likely force aged, and almost definitely not from wild agarwood trees. This is mass produced oil. For something as expensive as real deer musk, might I recommend mascerating in a smaller batch oud oil.

If you want recommendations for oud oils to macerate with deer musk, there are so many great options from vendors here.

ASO (one of our resident vendors) recommends using a malaysian oil when mascerating. Folks with experience, can you suggest some specific oils from vendors here?

Moataz A

Oud Beginner
Can I ask - are you committed to buying your oud from Arabian Oud? It's pretty well understood around these parts that you aren't going to get the best quality of oil from a shop like this and you'll end up paying ALOT for what you get. Their oils will also be ridiculously thick, likely force aged, and almost definitely not from wild agarwood trees. This is mass produced oil. For something as expensive as real deer musk, might I recommend mascerating in a smaller batch oud oil.

If you want recommendations for oud oils to macerate with deer musk, there are so many great options from vendors here.

ASO (one of our resident vendors) recommends using a malaysian oil when mascerating. Folks with experience, can you suggest some specific oils from vendors here?
I have checked couple of vendors here and their prices are ridiculously expensive.. like $250 for 2.5 grams.. Arabian oud sells 3 grams for $65.. I know it could be not the best oil but it is affordable.. hopefully someone with actual experience with their oil can let us know.. they have a store here in New york City I will visit them soon to check out their products and was hoping to get your opinions about them

iori

親月
I have checked couple of vendors here and their prices are ridiculously expensive.. like $250 for 2.5 grams.. Arabian oud sells 3 grams for $65.. O know it could be not the best oil but it is affordable
prices varies depends on quality etc, if you want cheaper things there is many stuff out there around 100-150$ for 2.5 or 3g
personally i would not buy anything from arabian oud, bad quality and mostly modified stuff oils/wood "at least localy here"

Moataz A

Oud Beginner
prices varies depends on quality etc, if you want cheaper things there is many stuff out there around 100-150$ for 2.5 or 3g
personally i would not buy anything from arabian oud, bad quality and mostly modified stuff oils/wood "at least localy here"
can you refer any vendor that you know are trustworthy with affordable price?

Andrew Salkin

it's aboud time!
Staff member
Affordable is relative. If you are using arabian oud as benchmark of affordable, then everything else will be expensive. Their oils are like the old navy of clothing or applebee's of dining. It's oud, but it's mass produced and lots of times even questionable that it's pure.

Mcdonald's sells hamburgers for 2 dollars. The local bistro near me sells their hamburgers for 16 bucks. Mcdonald's is more affordable sure, but I'd rather have 1 bistro burger than 8 mcdonald's burgers. Well most days at least - sometimes I need my macdeez fix!

How much did you spend on the musk per gram? If anything less than 60 a gram, I'd be worried thats not legit either tbh.

Ultimately you get what you pay for but I don't think you'll find anyone here who will tell you good things about arabian oud. It's somewhat of the antithesis of this forum. Excuse my candor - please know I mean with total respect to you! I just assume people want honesty above all else.

Moataz A

Oud Beginner
Affordable is relative. If you are using arabian oud as the determination of affordable, then everything else will be expensive. Their oils are like the old navy of clothing or applebee's of dining. It's oud, but it's mass produced and lots of times even questionable that it's pure.

How much did you spend on the musk per gram? If anything less than 60 a gram, I'd be worried thats not legit either tbh.

Ultimately you get what you pay for but I don't think you'll find anyone here who will tell you good things about arabian oud. It's somewhat of the antithesis of this forum. Excuse my candor - please know I mean with total respect to you! I just assume people want honesty above all else.
I'm totally convinced by now that Arabian oud is not the way to go.. I won't compare prices to arabian oud anymore.. but still hoping to find relatively lower prices.. I got 2 grams of Siberian musk $70/gram.. it is from a reputable vendor.. what vendors do you recommend that have lowest prices?

Andrew Salkin

it's aboud time!
Staff member

I think the later would be so cool to do with real musk maceration.

Moataz A

Oud Beginner

I think the later would be so cool to do with real musk maceration.

I see 2 products of Al hashimi and 1 of Al shareef and one from Al attar.. which oil you referred to that will be nice to macerate with musk?

Andrew Salkin

it's aboud time!
Staff member
One from oudbase too in there.

So I'm not a musk expert by any means. I tried to limit suggestions to oils that were under 200 per 3ml. I think these are all of the ones currently available from vendors here. Well....actually you should also take a look at Royal Bengal Ouds.

@Al Shareef Oudh - what do you think? Oil under 200 a bottle. Good for musk maceration?

I tried the Blue Oud,
it reminds me of Carolina Herrera for Men
with a strong synthetic musk finish.
I don’t know why it is called oud, I didn’t pick up any oudiness, but it is enjoyable.
Certainly not pure oud.

I also tried a couple of Cambodi Ouds,
thick, and somewhat enjoyable,
but if you told me there was 10% pure oud in it,
I would doubt it, if anything, something made from agarwood, but certainly not anything artisanally distilled

Andrew Salkin

it's aboud time!
Staff member
It's very top note heavy and doesn't last long - AH states that in the listing upfront. But I think it smells amazing. It's a VERY thin viscosity oil too so if you are looking for something super thick, this isn't it. That said, if you want an oil to use that will really let the musk shine, I think this might be a great pick. Again I'm not an expert on this stuff though but on paper, I'd think that the oil would do a great job stripping the aroma off the musk grains bc it's thin and terpy. And then the oud notes will fade in an hour or 2 so you'll be left with a really nice clear musk scent!

Mustafa

True Ouddict
is this a good oud oil choice?
and will this be a good oud oil to macerate musk?
Assalamu Alaikum brother Moataz, I would ask you a fundamental question - What are you trying to achieve with this maceration? What's the end game? Do you want pure Musk scent or do you want something sweet? animalic? fruity? What would you like the maceration to be in the end?

Moataz A

Oud Beginner
Assalamu Alaikum brother Moataz, I would ask you a fundamental question - What are you trying to achieve with this maceration? What's the end game? Do you want pure Musk scent or do you want something sweet? animalic? fruity? What would you like the maceration to be in the end?
w alykom alsalam brother Mustafa, I'm looking for to achieve a fruity animalic scent

Mustafa

True Ouddict
Musk is musk. The choice of oil would depend on the kind of variation you want to give to the Musk and oud combo. If you love just the musk scent and want musk to shine, you can choose a nutral oil. If you want other notes to combine with musk, my question would be what are those notes. based on that you can make a choice. Hope it makes sense.

Moataz A

Oud Beginner
Musk is musk. The choice of oil would depend on the kind of variation you want to give to the Musk and oud combo. If you love just the musk scent and want musk to shine, you can choose a nutral oil. If you want other notes to combine with musk, my question would be what are those notes. based on that you can make a choice. Hope it makes sense.
thanks a lot for this amazing explanation.. I would love to achieve fruity animalic scent if that what mixing musk and oud will do.. if not then I would love to hear your recommendation

Mustafa

True Ouddict
w alykom alsalam brother Mustafa, I'm looking for to achieve a fruity animalic scent
Right, that's a great choise. In that case, I would say, try some Malaysian. Malay is known to have this sweet fruily kind of vibe when mixed with Musk. Halwa from ASO is a good choice and relatively affordable. Not saying it's cheap. You can also consider some malay or thai from the list brother Andrew has provided. I haven't tried all the oils in the list so I can't comment on each one. I have tried Halwa and Nusa from ASO and I felt these are good options.

Moataz A

Oud Beginner
Right, that's a great choise. In that case, I would say, try some Malaysian. Malay is known to have this sweet fruily kind of vibe when mixed with Musk. Halwa from ASO is a good choice and relatively affordable. Not saying it's cheap. You can also consider some malay or thai from the list brother Andrew has provided. I haven't tried all the oils in the list so I can't comment on each one. I have tried Halwa and Nusa from ASO and I felt these are good options.
sounds great.. thanks a lot for your precious opinion brother