Anwar

True Ouddict
Today it’s this old patchouli I uncovered while cleaning my garage. Bought it back in the late 90’s I think. It is amazing - tangy, musty, musky, earthy... so many layers.

Any patchouli lovers out there? Really syrupy old oxidized patchouli oil is one of my favorites for sure.

Rising Phoenix Perfumery has an Oak Aged patchouli. I used to get patchouli from Agarwood Assam. It was good quality, but it's no longer on his Etsy. If you contact him, maybe he has it.

Mr.P

oud<3er
My oil of the day is hydrodistilled Tamil Nadu sandalwood oil from 2002. Really, nothing out there performs like good Sandalwood. The Smell almost seems to grow on one’s skin over time. my favorite things is to apply a couple swipes at bedtime and when wake up the next morning I am surrounded by the smell of sandalwood

Rai Munir

Musk Man
Kashmiri and Tibetan Musk Mysore Santal Maceration: It is Musk where both the earth and heaven meet. Their rendezvous is Musk. Nameless into nameless. Is it animalic, earthy, sweet, aquatic, fruity, buttery etc? No. It is just Musk. After two years, the grains have digested Mysore Sandal creaminess as well. Musk- A fragrant black-hole.

Mr.P

oud<3er
A dab of rose absolute from Alteya Organics (purchased last month). I bought it expecting another run of the mill rose absolute, but this one surprises me over and over again - I am smelling complex multilayered voluptuous classic old garden rose scents weaving in and out of a really tangy sweet deeply rosey core... this is one of the nicest rose oils I have ever smelled, which is absolutely the last thing I expected to get when ordering relatively inexpensive rose absolute on line. Must have been a good year!

Mr.P

oud<3er
Tyson ambergris resinoid - latest batch.

This batch is quite different. The last was a waxy crystalline solid with mild marine and pronounced earth / mulch notes. This one is darker, fluid (though slow to pour) and with a stronger / younger ambergris note - much more pronounced fecal / breath notes. There is also a very distinct aroma of something like vanilla or benzoin or something. Not saying it smells literally like these oils, just that there is a quite distinct sweet vanilla note that I have not encountered before. Very interesting stuff, though I prefer the harder waxy stuff if I had to pick one over the other as I have always preferred the lighter more marine ambergris.

I still can’t believe that I’m holding a bottle of actual 100% ambergris oil. This is the kind of thing that can only exist thanks to experimenters like Tyson. I remember discussing ambergris years ago - utterly failing to find anything authentic other than tincture or the occasional dry pieces. Pretty amazing that we get to check out these rarities!

Last edited:

Mr.P

oud<3er
Also bought a ml of Tyson’s recent frankincense oil. Blanking on the name - the one he loves that had a very low yield. It is a potent, wild and crazy frankincense oil for sure. Presents all kinds of tangy, sweet, herbal, floral, resinous, spicy all wrapped up in one. Then it dries down to this unique long lasting buzzy frankincense tail that is quite distinctive. Struggling to come up with descriptions for what I smell... the scent brings images to my mind but none of them useful as adjectives.

Rai Munir

Musk Man
Blend of Tyson's Euphoria and Holy Attars, and strong animalic Ambergris I macerated in that blend.

This is now an animalic frangipani Santal attar. Tyson had used sweet white ambergris that infused a beautiful velvety feel into the attar Holy; Euphoria was a frangipani based oil. I wanted a heavy aroma. So, nothing could be more beneficial but a heavy scent of black Ambergris.
IMG20190830144240.jpg

Last edited:

Anwar

True Ouddict
Blend of Tyson's Euphoria and Holy Attars, and strong animalic Ambergris I macerated in that blend.

This is now an animalic frangipani Santal attar. Tyson had used sweet white ambergris that infused a beautiful velvety feel into the attar Holy; Euphoria was a frangipani based oil. I wanted a heavy aroma. So, nothing could be more beneficial but a heavy scent of black Ambergris.
View attachment 9912
Sometimes ambergris works like varnish to a clean scent.