Anwar

True Ouddict
Hi anwar
What do you think about this sandal oil ?
Interesting, but don't love it. May be useful for certain mukhallats. I am intrigued by the damp, broken stem/branch note in the opening. To me it gets very buttery with a bit of spice. Once, I smelled a mint note, which I thought added to the other notes and made it more complete. Haven't smelled that again though. Pleasant.

His heartwood distillation was amazing though. Much louder (which doesn't, by itself, make it better), with a vanilla cream soda, perfectly spiced, elixir vibe. Effervescent, with this beautiful ginger note. Bubbly, strong, sweet. I want to drink something like that.

Actually, have you tried the Pepsi 1893 Ginger version. Like a stronger, sweeter version of that.

Mr.P

oud<3er
Jasmine “florasol” from Peter Wilde. Freaking epic jasmine. Only grandiflorum I can really wear these days...

Reactions: cau

Anwar

True Ouddict
RPP Scottish White ambergris macerated in AWI East Timor sandal also on the arm. Spicy ginger and newborn baby. Close to the skin.

Reactions: cau

cau

Oud Fanatic
Revisiting my Sultan Pasha samples. Wearing Cuir de Russie; quite feminine, the blood orange provides a good aldehyde impression. No leather in the head or mid notes. I can't say I like this, but one never regrets wearing a Sultan Pasha.

Re base: labdanum, musk isolates, patchouli, vetiver, cypriol, myrrh and more ouds. The choices are endless. :D
Re rose:
- I noticed that if I add rose absolutes (along with Ottos), the overall rose accord to last longer in most blends.
- adding some rose concrete might do the trick too as it has lots of wax in it. But not sure how much one can add in a blend.
- You could try adding citronellol, geraniol and rhodinol (natural isolates) to hike up rose experience further. I haven't tried with those isolates. So this is a guess on some readings.
- Civet always highlights florals - i.e. they become more easily identifiable in blends.
- Ambergris slows the speed of progression of most blends.
(Concerning on of my Al Ghaliyah blends, which had a high-pitched, almost acidic vibe)
I added 4 drops of Ulugbek’s Turkish Rose, and a touch more of Civet. It somehow did the trick, and knocked down the high-pitched vibe. I am really happy with the outcome.

Mr.P

oud<3er
I have a near empty bottle of Aussie plantation santalum album and I have some great news. That oil was kind of “turbo oxidized” sitting as a 3-drop residue in the bottom of a 5ml bottle for the last year. All I can say is WOW! Now this is an utterly different animal than when I first got it. This smells like classic old Indian sandalwood - it has that deep atlas cedar oily wood note, fuzzy warm sandalwood aroma, less of the awkward nutty and buttery top notes that must be the hallmark of young oils I guess. Smells like a much more expensive oil, I think(?)

I had no idea plantation oil had this much potential. I am gong to buy a larger bottle when I have the chance and just set it aside! I suspect it will still not be the greatest in the dry down stage of its development but we shall see!

Rai Munir

Musk Man
Sahm Sandal Oil by Habzoud: it hits the bull's eye even being a 'raw fresh' sandalwood scent.
The moment I smelt the applicator, copper flashed in my mind. But, after a few minutes, its Mysore nature started swelling forward. Beauuuuutiful! Its aroma suits the word ELEGANT.

Caramelized or not, the scent profile is an enigma for me. Ceylon copper, Mysore copper, Mysore. No problem as the scent is outstanding.

It seems to be extremely fresh with a lot uneven edges. Aging is a must to enjoy sandal sobriety and gravity. If used as base for attar making, different intrinsic shades of the oil would play a vital role.

Impressive oil by Habz. Thumb up!

Last edited:

Mr.P

oud<3er
99E353A3-31BB-4181-9BD2-180528DE5A1E.jpeg
Not an attar or mukhallat...

I put in a big chip bed of finely shredded alder chips. Scattered these around under a bamboo grove around one side of our house. It’s about 3 yards of chips scattered over there and whenever I walk around the property if the wind is blowing the right way I get this big waft of wood chips smell it reminds me of oud in some ways. There is this bright woody tang on top of all the fresh mulchy and leafy smells that these fresh wood chips bring with them. I specifically put this wood chip bed in to attract wild mushrooms. Literally its only purpose.

one funny thing - bamboo leaf mulch smells like borneol... whenever I rake the bamboo leaves up I am always reminded of Japanese incense.

Attachments

• 9338BEC1-A40C-4BEE-A498-F58F344FF123.jpeg
    9338BEC1-A40C-4BEE-A498-F58F344FF123.jpeg
    31.1 KB · Views: 182