Attars As Spray-on

Discussion in 'General' started by abu abdullaah, May 5, 2019.

1. abu abdullaah

abu abdullaah Whats this Oud About?

noob zone: if you put a relatively thin attar into a spray-on bottle,will it work? meaning will it effectively come out of the sprayer and will it wear and work on you like a regular spray-on perfume would work?

2. Sproaty

Sproaty Sproudy Staff Member

hmm...I imagine that a lot will go to waste, oil may get stuck to the tubing. Would be interesting to try!

3. Martin

Martin Oud Novice

You need to create a mixture with perfumer's alcohol. I've just created my first attar. I'm going to part off 1 gram and add about 4 grams of perfurmer's alcohol to make a spray fragrance. Attars are generally too thick for any kind of atomizer.

AbuTominaga likes this.
  4. abu abdullaah

martin if i put a ratio of 1-4 parts isnt that going to really dilute the scent?

5. Martin

Martin Oud Novice

You’ll have to experiment on your own. I’m mentioning what I’m doing in trying to be helpful.
    You might try a roll on bottle for applying if you wish to keep attar full strength

6. abu abdullaah

ok thanks,no problem

7. Hainss

Hainss Whats this Oud About?

What is perfumer alcool and where I can find it?

8. Martin

Martin Oud Novice

I bought mine 9 years ago—I can’t recall exactly where. You can look online or on Amazon. You can also use 190 or 200 proof grain alcohol.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019 at 11:20 PM
  9. Hainss

Hainss Whats this Oud About?

Did the smell of a 190 proof alcool will be very pronounced or still there?

What the artisanal perfumer use?

Thanks

10. Mr.P

Mr.P Oud Fan

The alcohol evaporates rapidly - its scent fades in a few moments leaving the oil evenly dispersed on the skin or fabric. There are various alcohol formulas - some are chemically “denatured” rendering them unsuitable for drinking but still useful as a solvent. This makes them much cheaper as they are taxed at a much much lower rate than beverage alcohol. Some denatured alcohol smells better than others. Some have ingredients of questionable safety like phthalates.

I get Everclear brand grain alcohol at a liquor store here in Oregon.

11. Al Shareef Oudh

Al Shareef Oudh Resident Artisan

Choice of alcohol to make your own EDP is important. There are natural alcohols, none denatured as Mr.P indicated, but these are by order of magnitude more dear than the denatured. The denatured will have a residual smell of its own, part of the denatured chemical used. If you aren't worried about cost and focused on quality than none denatured 100% ethanol is the way to go, but it is very expensive.

A ration of 1/4 is a good ration it is nice and strong at the same time you are increasing your volume at a good rate.

Martin likes this.

Promote Oud!