Bilal

True Ouddict
Wow MashaAllah, the oud oils are nice and all but i'm more inspired by the collection of books! I see you have a few on the Prophet pbuh, which one would you recommend the most as I have the Martin Lings biography and Sealed Nectar? I'm nearing the end of Yasir Qadhi's Seerah podcast which is absolutely AMAZING and have heard good things about the Revelation book by Meraj Mohiuddin and ShermanJackson too.

hasans1

Oud Fanatic
510eE7yCg2L._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Bilal

True Ouddict

Ouddict

Ouddict Co-Founder & Tech Support
Sorry I had to move these posts as they went off topic. Also I just noticed the question from you @Bilal from 2020 - over two years ago 😅🤦‍♂️

It really depends what approach you are looking for with books of Seerah. Martin Lings is a tour de force of the English language but contains some controversial inclusions of dubious narrations, while the Sealed Nectar is meticulous in using reliable ahadith. Both books are great, as long as you know what you are getting. The classical Seerah writers Ibn Ishaq and Ibn Hisham included all sorts of reports, both verified and unverified so should be approached with care. Probably best to approach with someone who is knowledgeable of the Seerah and of the unverified reports that the books contain.

Another genre worth investigating is the Shama'il (characteristics) of The Prophet (saw) and Ash Shifa by Qadi Iyad is an excellent work.

Last edited:

Bilal

True Ouddict
Sorry I had to move these posts as they went off topic. Also I just noticed the question from you @Bilal from 2020 - over two years ago 😅🤦‍♂️

It really depends what approach you are looking for with books of Seerah. Martin Lines is a tour de force of the English language but contains some controversial inclusions of dubious narrations, while the Sealed Nectar is meticulous in using reliable ahadith. Both books are great, as long as you know what you are getting. The classical Seerah writers Ibn Ishaq and Ibn Hisham included all sorts of reports, both verified and unverified so should be approached with care. Probably best to approach with someone who is knowledgeable of the Seerah and of the unverified reports that the books contain.

Another genre worth investigating is the Shama'il (characteristics) of The Prophet (saw) and Ash Shifa by Qadi Iyad is an excellent work.
JazakAllah khair, better late than never haha!

Yes, having heard from various sources that the Martin Lings book is far from perfect, I was advised to read it alongside Sheikh Hamza Yusuf's seerah series, who highlights the mistakes in Lings book as he goes along. Alhamdullilah, its a great way to go through the seerah and something I'd highly recommend doing.

I've had the Sealed Nectar for over 25 years but I've never been able to finish it as I've always found the prose a bit dull.Heard that the original (in Arabic and Urdu) is significantly better so I don't doubt there's a great book in there.

I think once I finish Sh YQ's series of lectures, I will most likely investigate the other genres you mentioned إن شاء الله .Although I've read and heard about the Shama'il in various books and lectures, no talk quite captured my imagination like the one given by Ust Wahaj Tarin ما شاء الله :

Last edited:

MrK

Oud Fanatic
Mevahib i Ledunniye , İmam Kastalani is another great book about seerah(not sure in wich languages this book is available though.)

gerardboelsche

Just Arrived
I love reading this kind of book. In my opinion, the Islamic religion has more in common with the Christian religion as well. Maybe some of you will find this strange, but if you read the Koran, you will find many familiar things. I believe Islam has the same principles as the Christian religion but is more conservative. Thank you for sharing this book with us here tho. I don't trust anything, and I always wonder who writes the Bible and how many copies of the original we can find these days. I would love to look at the original biblical texts and see how the modern Bible defines them. Unfortunately, it is human nature to hide important facts and tell untruths, so I believe we will never know what happened 100 years ago. During the pandemic, I researched biblical texts and found a decent website for my local church First Church Love. They had some pictures of the original texts from the Vatican, and comparing them to the modern Bible was interesting.

Last edited:

DubOudh

Aster Oudh
I love reading this kind of book. In my opinion, the Islamic religion has more in common with the Christian religion as well. Maybe some of you will find this strange, but if you read the Koran, you will find many familiar things. I believe Islam has the same principles as the Christian religion but is more conservative. Thank you for sharing this book with us here tho. I don't trust anything, and I always wonder who writes the Bible and how many copies of the original we can find these days. I would love to look at the original biblical texts and see how the modern Bible defines them. Unfortunately, it is human nature to hide important facts and tell untruths, so I believe we will never know what happened 100 years ago. During the pandemic, I researched biblical texts and found a decent website for my local church First Church Love. They had some pictures of the original texts from the Vatican, and comparing them to the modern Bible was interesting.
If you approach a religious text with honest heart learning and truth searching.....the Spirit will guide you to the parts that can't be found in the text that were omitted by man.
Spirit's ways are not mans ways..........💚🤍🧡

Bilal

True Ouddict
Not strange at all, as Christianity along with Judaism are all Abrahamic faiths.

As Muslims, we believe the God who revealed the Bible to Jesus (pbuh) and the Torah to Moses (pbuh), is the same God who revealed the Qur'an to Muhammad (pbuh). Therefore, it is no surprise that we find similarities as they are from the same source with the same core message i.e to recognise and believe in one God, worship him as he commanded you to worship him, and follow the guidance given to you by his Messengers.

The reason most muslims don't follow/read the Bible or the Torah, is not just because God has told us of their corruption (the originals don't exist anymore unfortunately). but because those books and messengers were sent only for the people of that time. The Qur'an and Muhammads example on the other hand, is not only for his people but is sufficient for all people and places till the end of times.

Last edited:

Ashfaque

Jonoon al Oud
I cannot recommend enough the seerah of Rasul-Allah (SAAS), 4 Khalifah, and other biography books by Professor Ali Muhammad al-Sallabi. He used the approach of authentic hadith collectors' method (especially for the 1st five) and used that criteria on many classical works of Al Tabari, Ibn Kathir, Al-Zuhri, Ibn Hisham, Ibn Sa'd, Al- Waqidi and others great scholars of from our past to compose his biographies. IMHO, they're the best works available in English (originally written in Arabic). They're somewhat academic but quite easy to read and understand. At the same time, we should also read works of earliest scholars.

Last edited:

Al Shareef Oudh

Master Perfumer
I cannot recommend the seerah of Rasul-Allah (SAAS), 4 Khalifah, and other biography books by Professor Ali Muhammad al-Sallabi. He used the approach of authentic hadith collectors' method (especially for the 1st five) and used that criteria on many classical works of Al Tabari, Ibn Kathir, Al-Zuhri, Ibn Hisham, Ibn Sa'd, Al- Waqidi and others great scholars of from our past to compose his biographies. IMHO, they're the best works available in English (originally written in Arabic). They're somewhat academic but quite easy to read and understand. At the same time, we should also read works of earliest scholars.
I haven't read Dr Ali Muhammad Al Sallabi's works in English, however in Arabic he is an amazing scholar, very eloquent with brilliant insight and clarity of thought and expression. He has a wealth of knowledge that only comes when someone has spent years in deep research and reflection.

Martin Ling's biography on the Life of the Prophet is a wonderfully flowing work, very easy to read for both Muslims and non Muslims.

The opinion of Christian scholars such as Dr Bart Ehrman is very interesting on the topic of the New Testament, he has done lots of research on many aspects that you touch upon regarding the Bible's evolution over time. You may find his work relevant and interesting.

Rai Munir

Musk Man
Muhammad (SallAllah o Alaihi wa Alaa a'alihi wa Asha'abihi Wa Ba'arik Wasallim)- his life based on the earliest sources by Abu Bakr Sirajuddin (A.R)- Martin Lings

Seerat unn Nabi by Maulana Shibli Naumani A.R and Syed Sulaiman Nadvi A.R

Ar-raheeq ul Makhtoom by Safi ur Rahman Mubarakpuri A.R

Bilal

True Ouddict
I cannot recommend the seerah of Rasul-Allah (SAAS), 4 Khalifah, and other biography books by Professor Ali Muhammad al-Sallabi. He used the approach of authentic hadith collectors' method (especially for the 1st five) and used that criteria on many classical works of Al Tabari, Ibn Kathir, Al-Zuhri, Ibn Hisham, Ibn Sa'd, Al- Waqidi and others great scholars of from our past to compose his biographies. IMHO, they're the best works available in English (originally written in Arabic). They're somewhat academic but quite easy to read and understand. At the same time, we should also read works of earliest scholars.
+2 to Prof al-Sallabis work ما شاء الله .

I've read his book on Abu Bakr r.a and it was fantastic.

Bilal

True Ouddict
I haven't read Dr Ali Muhammad Al Sallabi's works in English, however in Arabic he is an amazing scholar, very eloquent with brilliant insight and clarity of thought and expression. He has a wealth of knowledge that only comes when someone has spent years in deep research and reflection.

Martin Ling's biography on the Life of the Prophet is a wonderfully flowing work, very easy to read for both Muslims and non Muslims.

The opinion of Christian scholars such as Dr Bart Ehrman is very interesting on the topic of the New Testament, he has done lots of research on many aspects that you touch upon regarding the Bible's evolution over time. You may find his work relevant and interesting.
I'd also point to the thoughts of the late Dr Jerald F Dirks on this topic too. He received his BA and MDiv from Harvard University and has authored over 10 books in the fields of comparative religion and history of religion.