View attachment 9694

Quite frankly I’m not a fan of sales deception in any form. What do you think?
For my personal take......
I don’t think deception.
Although the photo does not depict a true to life exposure, I can easily see just how resinated or unresinated the wood is.

Viewing hundreds of pictures of chips, you sorta get the hang of it. Plus when I take pictures of my own chips, I am never satisfied with the outcome, they never look exactly like they do live in person.

Check out the two exposures of this Filipino Baby King:
D13B7C1B-780C-415D-985E-8705A20D6821.jpeg
53A95884-1BE4-4A0B-8291-BC6266706045.jpeg

Mr.P

oud<3er
That’s a great example oudamberlove. Unless all photos are taken on a particular % grayscale background with color references, they do not provide an exact representation of wood color or darkness. Maybe vendors can aim for neutral exposure with and comment in the description (“oud is lighter/darker than it appears...”)

Ouddict

Ouddict Co-Founder & Tech Support
That’s a great example oudamberlove. Unless all photos are taken on a particular % grayscale background with color references, they do not provide an exact representation of wood color or darkness. Maybe vendors can aim for neutral exposure with and comment in the description (“oud is lighter/darker than it appears...”)

I think a disclaimer is a good idea perhaps. Whenever I take photos, they don't normally represent the wood and resination accurately no matter how hard I try to edit the photos. Moreover, wood looks totally different in different lighting environments as well. If it smells good then that is the main thing.

Hamza H

Resident Artisan
I'm quite fussy about honesty too with resination.

Its safer to use a well lit environment and have the wood look under resinated, I've dealt with brokers who have used dark environments and the wood looks better than it actually is.

However, some of the photos I have had taken have represented the resination more accurately than any smart phone camera has.

With proper lighting set ups you can work wonders with oudh photography.

Although, resination isnt the only thing, the shape, size and proportion all come in to play. A batch of scattered pieces, isnt quite the same as one exquisite piece.

Joe King

AttitOud
No, no, I am not trying to create any image at all. I inferred it from the pics of different oils displayed, and the actual colour when the bottles are in hand.
Sorry Rai I did not mean you:(, I was referring to those who produce the pictures. In providing a picture for advertising purposes you have control over how the picture looks and whether it is true to the actual look of the wood.

Rai Munir

Musk Man
Joe, last time I saw a pic of frangipani flower somewhere, and since then I consider the frangipani flowers in my garden fake:Laugh:. The same is true to wood as well. I think, we all know it very well.

Last time I visited FO's website to see Blue Sumatran oil. That was blue, but at the end of the description it was mentioned the oil and bottle might not look like that when received.

Grega

True Ouddict

Martin

Oud Novice
Okay, I would like to report that I heated a small chip last night and concur with Jawed that this Kalimantan wood does indeed smell good (medium dark aroma). The weight of what I received was also proper so I am very pleased with the purchase. Thank you ASO!

I do think it is a good (and upright) idea for sellers of wood to ask themselves if the photo they are showing looks reasonably close to what they are actually selling and to refrain from any temptation to enhance photos to make wood appear darker and more desirable than it actually is.

Mr.P

oud<3er
Since getting a decent variable temp electric heater set up, I have been burning so much more wood and resin. It changed everything for me. Glad you are enjoying the subitism! By the way I saw a cannabis-infused cologne the other day. Smell was pretty average macho cologne, but with a kind of subtle hash note.

EJayB

True Ouddict
Well that’s sounds awesome!! I look forward to getting my oils terp tested so I can narrow down what each scent is a result of ! I will expect some help from fellow ouddicts and will most definitely be willing to send out some free samples for those willing