Mousse de Chene

True Ouddict
I'm going hard on the burns today as I got a new little ceramic heater and I'm trying a few that I've been sitting on for a while. Currently heating Shin-Kyara Fusen from Vietnam. This one is making me hungry for a warm cinnamon scroll on a cold rainy day. I have also heated today some very old stock Mysore from the Tea Guru as well as some wild sinking grade sandalwood from Java. The Java was almost antiseptic in it strength and woodiness on a low heat while the Mysore preferred it a bit hotter. It was displaying a profile that smelled like an old library that had been stored in chests upon an old pirate ship. How's that for an analogy? Yet, this is how it smelled to me.
Hahaha an old pirate ship….it’s great when an aroma can evoke a time & place, especially one that hasn’t been experienced.

-Renton-

True Ouddict
I finally got the right power cord (USB-C laptop charger with the right specs, my laptop charger wasn't strong enough for this heater) for my heater, and even when I was using the old power cord that was giving it 15-15.3v I was able to reach temps of like 190c or so, but now that I have this one that gives it 20-20.2v it feels like the temps I was getting before on the old cord, like 150c or 190c for example are actually much hotter, and give off the aroma more, IDK why that is, could anyone step in? My opinion on that is, I wasn't giving it enough power so even though it was saying it was having those temps before it wasn't strong enough to actually output those temps.

Anyway, I heated some Tarakan (bead scraps, not from Kangiiten) at 200-220c and yes it was bubbling and it gave off a nice woody, oudy, forest aroma with some nice sweet vanilla notes, but this isnt the burn of the day for me as that was just a practice burn. I was burning some great Filipino wood that was gifted to me.

Start:
End:
I started on 150c and it was giving aroma but not very strongly and for long, so climbed up every so slowly and once I reached 180c that is where I left it at because it was giving off all the notes and strong aroma, I would go up a few celsius every time the aroma went away, and the highest temp I reached was 225-230c and thats when it was over.

The notes I got were... woudy (woody and oudy ;) ), a nice sweetness, and some nice sort of muskiness with a forest notes, these were the main dominant notes until I got upto 200-205c, then the muskiness left, and I had notes of, woody and oudiness, honey-like golden hue sweetness, and earthy, notes stayed like this till around 215-220c and I started getting just oud woodiness and a bitterness with sweetness still there (bittersweet, I guess?), but also a nice powdery, slightly floral note, this lasted for around 10, maybe 15mins or so, then as I turned it up when the aroma went away it just gave me an acrid burnt note at 230c, then it was over, and it had the charred look like you see on the "End" image, I put up, of course it didn't just suddenly got that colour, it was a slow progression over 2 hours. Yes, this burn lasted me 2 HOURS!!! Or more, or less, but atlesat 1hr and 45mins, but when thinking about it, it was a 2hour burn if not longer.

-Renton-

True Ouddict
Aquilaria. Sinensis cultivation by adrieent. Got 100g of fantastic skins off him a long while ago, and I was just burning them on coal and it was a pretty linear profile, and had offnotes like cheese (unpleasant). Not anymore, not when I am heating these slices.

Notes at the start (around 170-180c) are of woody oudiness, sweetness like candy, amber-like notes with some creaminess, I would turn the temp up by 5-10c (sometimes 15c) if the fragrance went away just to bring these notes back, then when I reached 190-195c I was getting sour - sweet notes, with camphor and kinamic-like mintiness. This stayed on till around 230c and then when I reached that for a couple of mins it turned burnt and bitter, and the wood was already black (funnily enough the part of the wood facing downward, toward the actual heat, was less burnt looking than the top parts facing me... strange, can anyone answer why this may be, when using an electric heater? Thank you)

Overall, nice burn and very nice wood. I used under 0.25g (most likely 0.1 to 0.15g roughly, could be less though, was only one tiny chip I cut off a bigger strip) for around a 50-60min+ burn.

Last edited:

-Renton-

True Ouddict
Again... Aquilaria. Sinensis plantation strips. I asked adrieent if they were "bark" strips, they are not, they are supposedly just made from big chips and cleaned very well, which I can believe with the oil and resin content on the front and back (when zooming in with your phone w/flashlight on). Anyway, the temp this time was 180-220c. The chip lasted 45-50mins (but could have gone slightly longer, but didnt want to). Notes of a real woody nature, almost unoud woodiness, but the oud note was there, a vanillic note, and what I can only describe as an amber accord - type note, with a nice bit of sweetness. As I progressed, turning up temps slowly, I was getting more and more camphor-woody notes, with what started out as a very soft, mellow, semi-sweet sourness and tarty fruit notes, with some spiciness at the end. This is the notes I can remember, as I have really bad memory, but I think that is basically the gist of it.

Some images from the burn/heating session:

Start:
"Middle" (this was still basically really early on, like 10-15mins or so):
End:

-Renton-

True Ouddict
Vintage Batch no 3 Santalum Album Indonesia from The Tea Guru. Man this stuff is potent!
Was it one piece you used? Yeah, his sandalwood is quite good for heating. What temp did you have it at? I get good results with 150/160c to around 195-200c, and that is with strong shaving chips I make myself from Mysore Sandalwood heartwood logs. I also have one more piece of Tea Guru's Sandalwood Java sinking from awhile ago and I haven't used it yet. Cant wait to try his White Sinking Kynam, and cut it into small 0.25-0.5g sizes as that is easy with CK for me, whereas normal agarwood can be quite challenging.

You only need 1-2 of these small under 25-30mg pieces for a strong effect of this aged Black Kynam that is insanely minty, which is strange for black Kynam, I think. It was never minty when I first got it then when I smelled it out the jar I had the big pieces in it was so minty it was stronger than any GREEN CK I have smelled (at room temp). It was sold to me as wild black Shin-Kyara, and honestly I am starting to believe that with how fast it aged into that scent, the way it looks and the room temp scent that even Kangiiten doesnt have. Or it could be mother tree CK.

Last edited:

Olfactory Nomad

True Ouddict
Was it one piece you used? Yeah, his sandalwood is quite good for heating. What temp did you have it at? I get good results with 150/160c to around 195-200c, and that is with strong shaving chips I make myself from Mysore Sandalwood heartwood logs. I also have one more piece of Tea Guru's Sandalwood Java sinking from awhile ago and I haven't used it yet. Cant wait to try his White Sinking Kynam, and cut it into small 0.25-0.5g sizes as that is easy with CK for me, whereas normal agarwood can be quite challenging.
Yeah man, just the one small piece. A lot more volatile than the old stock Mysore I have from him. I've been mainly keeping these pieces at 130 and bump up to 190ish towards the end. Pretty good sweet spot. I also have a piece of his Sinking White which I haven't tried yet. Will get to that shortly.

The Scent Guru

Agarwhoreder
Staff member
Tawi Tawi is so gorgeous, sweet and floral.
IMG_4083.jpeg