Mr.P

oud<3er
That’s just the camera picking up glare or something. I had turned the lights down and boosted brightness which exaggerated the red glare.

Heated some Bangladesh chips from Treasure Oud

Black resin, nice fruity opening, became woody and tobacco, but at a heat level that makes the resin sizzle, it started getting acrid.

That’s what I love about my best Filipino chips, they smell good at low, medium, and high.
It goes to show that all resins are not created equal.

EJayB

True Ouddict
It is tough to beat the versatility of the Filipino! Low Med, high it’s all good!
I can’t wait to see Al Hashimi’s filipino oil from the last batch of wood, it was amazing

EJayB

True Ouddict
This early evening I’m heating RUC QUANG NAM from oudwoodVietnam. As I have said many times . This is perhaps my favorite wood and only one of very few I am willing to break my “10$ Or less “ rule on wood price.

Taesik Yun

Attar Yun
Staff member
IxM0qvM.jpg

0.jpg

Oman royal green hojari frankincense resin. what a wonderful scent. intoxicating, cleansing. can't get this enough.

Mr.P

oud<3er
I have chewed big chunks of maydi resin. Works quite well as gum after all the crumbles are dealt with. Not really a treat, but interesting.

Mr.P

oud<3er
Puresacra hojari barely simmering on the subitism. Just enough heat to lightly bubble the underside. Every time I walk by I get some amazing element of olfactory perfection. This is one amazingly good smelling species. It really defies belief. I smell beautiful dry pine at times, citrusy tart notes at other times... warm almost caramel notes that remind me of certain Borneo oud oils (didn’t see that note coming at all). I actually have two different grades of the Puresacra hojari on two subitism burners in two rooms. I am franked out in the best way.

really glad I built the subitisms over the summer. Spare time is hard to come by once the school year starts. The subitisms makes burning so simple.

Mr.P

oud<3er
I can’t tell whether this is the best frankincense I’ve ever smelled or I’ve just finally learned how to heat it properly. One of my subitisms was at exactly the right temperature... it never blackened the resin but just gradually caused it to dry out and crumble and yellow. It has been releasing perfect scent for hours with no burned note whatsoever.

EDIT: this was supposed to say that this was Puresacra.com hojari

Last edited:
The Kien Rung A finally arrived from oudwoodvietnam.com
802488E9-6973-47B1-A143-A6994C48EA50.jpeg

Quick session:

A little bit of sweetness with a pleasant resinous smell. Will need more sessions, today was a quickie.

Another quick try ..............
Al Hashimi Sinking Sumatra
Now I know why Sumatran oud oils smell the way they do, this wood is very representative of that profile. Not like Crassnas, Wallas, nor Malaccensis.
Hardly any fruity floral. The aroma is piercing, like frigid and brittle, but is chocked with resin and oudiness. A different heating experience, but because of the oudiness factor, it is worth a try.

Mr.P

oud<3er
Baieido old mountain sandalwood on the subitism on super low temperature. Just barely diffusing the most refined sandalwood aroma - nothing concentrated, no wafts or smoke - just an overall atmosphere of cool, dry woody bliss. A small pile can actually scent more area this way than if it is heated to a higher temperature. I suspect santalols are broken down at higher temperature burns and as a result you get less sandalwood scent, in spite of the initial blast and subsequent buttered popcorn notes that seem to indicate over heating. Makes me wonder about the buttery and popcorny sandalwood oils out there... maybe overcooked?

Another session with the Kien Rung A

This time, very gentle heating.

Not bad at all! Sweets and fruits with a sustained aroma, then as the aroma started to diminish, I turned up the heat a bit, but the higher heat didn’t keep the session going for very long.

At $45/10grams plus $5 shipping, not bad, but I’m still well stocked on other woods, so I won’t be getting more.