1. Please excuse us while we carrying out important changes to the forum.

Do Ouddict's try before they buy?

Discussion in 'Oud Market Trends' started by Habz786, Jan 16, 2017.

?

Sample or straight buy

1. I prefer to buy a full bottle without sampling

7 vote(s)
    21.9%
  2. I prefer to buy a Sample first before ordering

25 vote(s)
    78.1%
  1. Habz786

Habz786 Resident Artisan & Forum Co-Founder

Just a poll to see if people prefer to sample oils before they purchase them or just purchase full bottles? Some thoughts and views on this topic would be great? Personally given the cost of Oud i always try before i buy unless there is a oil which has great reviews and is unique.

Mandeel AlMandeel and AbasFrag like this.
  2. AbasFrag

AbasFrag Oud Burner

Of course I love to sample first if possible. In my thinking a vendor who doesn't offer samples for reasonable prices maybe isn't so confident about his products.

rojas, jensz, firdaous and 1 other person like this.
  3. hedycent

hedycent True Ouddict

Sample most of the time but also listen to the advice of some vendors as I think I know how to relate to their descriptions- most of the time

Mandeel AlMandeel likes this.
  4. jalil

jalil Oud bully

always szmple before buying...its the rules.:cool:

5. Ouddict

Ouddict Forum Co-Founder & Tech Support

I am the only one who voted for "I prefer to buy a full bottle without sampling" :eek:

6. Ammar

Ammar True Ouddict

Simple rule although difficult to perceive LOL!

7. jalil

jalil Oud bully

A rule always has its exceptions ;)

Mandeel AlMandeel, F4R1d0uX and Ammar like this.
  8. hasans1412

hasans1412 Resident Artisan

Samples are a great way to go by. Personally, if the vendor has few oils released then I'm all hands up for samples first to make the order cost effective as shipping is quite expensive to just order one sample. But if there's just the one oil released and I think its a hit for me, I go for the full bottle directly.

9. F4R1d0uX

F4R1d0uX Resident Artisan

Hahaha ! I guess so !

10. Habz786

Either you aren't very smart or you have too much money...... or maybe both :eek:

Mandeel AlMandeel and AbasFrag like this.
  11. IM_AU

IM_AU Oud Fan

I like to buy at least half ml or 1 ml if I am going to try a new oil. For me it doesn't feel right to spend my money on something that I cannot use properly... also paying the shipping cost to bring over. Moreover after gaining some experience with certain vendors, I feel comfortable to spend my money straight away for quantity more than a sample. But that's just me.

Mandeel AlMandeel and Habz786 like this.
  12. Habz786

@IM_AU welcome onboard thanks for joining. Yes i agree once you build that trust its easier to know the kind of quality you are getting and if you feel comfortable with buying without trying thats fair enough. Do you find Oud from certain reigons you can buy without sampling because you know you will like it?

Mandeel AlMandeel, jensz and F4R1d0uX like this.
  13. Ouddict

Most vendors give samples... but its up to the vendor. Their loss if they decide not to, or maybe it works for them by not offering. Customers draw their own conclusions.

14. IM_AU

IM_AU Oud Fan

I like to try variety when I started 5 odd years back... but my favourite profile so far is Malaysian.

15. Ouddict

I meant for sale. Don't see it as a big issue to be honest. It's the vendors choice to offer, but I would say as a principle that giving customers choice is always better.

As for the price comparisons, it's pretty meaningless as you have to compare like for like, but I'll let the vendors named answer that one.

16. Ammar

Ammar True Ouddict

I’m also not that enthusiastic about the samples topic here! The only situations where “purchased” samples are not available are in Ensar’s pre-orders, some of Ensar’s new releases or high grades, and feel-oud oils mostly the higher grade, which can be problematic for the pre-ordered oils as the oil can be sold out quickly before even reach the order tab. Same goes for Adam’s high grade oils which are usually few mLs that sold out quickly or if the oil is still available, there are no or not enough reviews from the few buyers who grabbed a bottle to give someone that “kick” to blind purchase a bottle or the opposite.

For free samples, Ensar, IO, and ASO are the most proliferative vendors regarding this.

If I missed some points, please correct me...

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  17. Ouddict

Customers draw their own conclusions... from their OWN investigations which goes without saying. What else do you think I'm insinuating?

Why is it that you imply I am saying anything other than that? It's highly patronising to be honest. Let me go over to Gaharu and see if you have posted anything with that tone to 'respected' members over there.. nope, I didn't find anything.

18. Ouddict

My apologies but my post was not aimed at anyone unlike the one you quoted from Gaharu!

As for your quoted post, you remind me of me back in 2012 when I used to tell him the same... I've realised it's something that won't ever change.

19. Habz786

Interesting to see most people who voted prefer to try before they buy which i feel is always wise. I only impulse buy an oil if im really excited about it and it has reviews/notes which i know i will enjoy. Do ouddicts from their experiences feel samples smell different to the full bottles due to oxidisation? Has anyone had experiences where they have smelt the sample and then purchased a full bottle and been like "Oh no"? I think its best to smell the sample right away than leave it for a few days as the smell can change.

AbasFrag and F4R1d0uX like this.
  20. F4R1d0uX

F4R1d0uX Resident Artisan

My point of view is that sellers reserve part of their stock for sampling.

Often it goes from 15 to 50$ (one seller's legends appart).

If you pay 50 for 0.15, 0.2, 0.3 + often 25$ shipping cost, it blocks sometimes consumers.

So you had on one side wealthy consumers (happy for them) who tries samples, and less wealthier ones who base their motivation on oils comments from precious buyers.

Now it changed, because of forums.

Buyers know each other now, forums, whatsapps, facebooks...

Buyers habits are going to change and even if it's vexing for X or Y seller, It's up to them to change their marketing strategy (prices ect ...) or maintain and deal with it ...

jensz, AbasFrag, halim and 5 others like this.

Promote Oud!