Ouddict

Ouddict Co-Founder & Tech Support
Coming into a new thread, I see the latest replies listed first and need to scroll to the bottom to see the original post and then scroll up to read the replies in order.
It's weird and counter intuitive

Make your vote then at the poll for the UI.

Ouddict

Ouddict Co-Founder & Tech Support
Regarding post order
Before I talk about this topic, I'll pair praise below quote from the Interaction Design Foundation for the context

"Designers usually apply the F pattern on websites that include text-heavy content and/or video content. With the F pattern, users begin by scanning left to right along the top, but then scan down the left side of the page, looking for visual clues to the information they seek. When they find such a clue, they scan from left to right. They repeat this process until they reach the end of the page. This scanning pattern often produces a heat map that looks like the letter “F”, as shown in the image at the top of this article. It’s perfectly possible to use both Z and F pattern pages on the same website. For example, you might have a very clean homepage that utilizes the Z pattern; however, when the user delves deeper into the site, you might present much more data and use an F pattern instead.

The Z Pattern — In designs without much text, our eye starts scanning from top left to top right, then diagonally down to bottom left, stopping at the bottom right.
The F Pattern — In designs with more text, we scan across the top, from left to right, then down the left, searching for clues to what we want to know. On finding one, we’ll scan across to the right."

View attachment 11036

https://www.interaction-design.org/...ntent-to-follow-natural-eye-movement-patterns

@Sproaty said good point it's counter intuitive. the issue we have here is caused by inconsistent reading patterns. we read website top to bottom, left to right. Thread list is in the newest to oldest order because of each individual thread don't need context of other thread. so each thread can be read without reading the older threads. however, when it comes to the content of the thread, it gets trickier. because readers don't have the context if it's in newest replies to oldest replies order. so they have to go back to the oldest information to understand the context which is what respected @Sproaty said.

social media post is in newest to oldest order because they don't need a context. but we need a context to understand what thread is about. so, how can we solve this problem?

'Sticky original post'

View attachment 11035

it can be solved by separating the original post and comments. OP will provide context and readers will be able to participate without extra hustle. users will be able to adjust comments order to suit their purpose.
I think I explained enough about this topic.

time to burn some oud chip... :Coffee:

Some excellent points there. I will see what can be done to change the format as you say. It does depend on the software platform and whether it supports such changes. What we are doing at the moment is to move as far as possible in the right direction and then migrate to a new software platform that will transform the experience for everyone on here.