Taesik Yun

Attar Yun
Staff member
every culture have different ways of making sense of the world around us.
and in South East Asian culture, there are four different types of looking.

Chinese pinyin = jiàn, Japanese = けん(Ken)
Ken is a way of looking without intent or I-ness. it's a pure sensory input observed through our sensory organs. it's a passive, relaxed way of looking with wide perspective.

Chinese pinyin = shì, Japanese = し(Si)
Si is a way of looking with I-ness. because there's I, the view is differ to each indivisuals, and distorted with ones own preconceptions. it's an active, tensed way of looking with narrow perspective.

Chinese pinyin = guān, Japanese = かん(Kan)
Kan is a way of looking with diligence. like an eagle trying to find its prey, this way of looking is thorough and effortful. it's an active, tensed way of looking with narrow perspective.

Chinese pinyin = chá, Japanse = さつ(Satsu)
Satsu is a way of looking that involves deep contemplation and rational thinking. It is a way of looking that is rooted in the past, with the mind reflecting on previous experiences and knowledges.

In the Koh do tradition, people say they listen to the incense (聞香, Mon koh) rather than smelling it (視香, Si Koh).
the 聞(Mon) here is a passive, relaxed way of observing with wide perspective, which can be interchangable with (Ken).

this way of looking, passively observing without preconception and I-ness is recommended in the Koh do tradition because one cannot truly experience aromatics in their true nature with having preconceptions or I-ness in mind.

freed from the past and the future, being here and now, without "I", one can be truly united with aromatics.