Andrew Salkin

it's aboud time!
Staff member
Hey all. My childhood friend is visiting Bali right now doing some percussion thing for a local ethnic music event. He studied it in college and now plays there 1x each year.

I asked him to look for agarwood while he's there. Wondering what locations would be good for him to try and find any without getting scammed (if that's possible)? Also - does anyone know the word for agarwood in Balinese? I saw Lombok on a map but that's an adjascent island. That's the only region I recognized at first glance that I've seen vendors (JK I believe) have wood from.

Thanks!

Imran S

Oud Fanatic
Hey all. My childhood friend is visiting Bali right now doing some percussion thing for a local ethnic music event. He studied it in college and now plays there 1x each year.

I asked him to look for agarwood while he's there. Wondering what locations would be good for him to try and find any without getting scammed (if that's possible)? Also - does anyone know the word for agarwood in Balinese? I saw Lombok on a map but that's an adjascent island. That's the only region I recognized at first glance that I've seen vendors (JK I believe) have wood from.

Thanks!

I remember seeing a agarwood /Gaharu shop in Bali while driving there a few years ago . I didn’t stop by to check it out.

chiro

Oud Beginner

Thanks!
Local name is indeed Gaharu
There are several shops selling Agarwood at the Tanah Lot temple, mainly carvings and bracelets. Wood is uncommon to find, and oil is not available (decent one) - at least the experience I made when I went earlier this year

Abdul Mukhid

Just Arrived

Thanks!
Hi, is your friend still in Bali. I live in East Java, not too far from Bali. I can help him/her if he/she needs gaharu/agarwood whether in powder or chips