I like Cherry and Raspberry notes in Oud:oops:
I tend to favor more Fruits than Florals:)
I love a strong yummy barn, if it is complemented by other stroung oudy notes, but as a stand-alone, well, maybe on isolated occasions :D

@littlecrowgirl Would you recommend combining say a Assam Organic and Cambodi X with a red note into one? Or would the Assam Organic be too overpowering?

MzM, I have very little experience with Indian Ouds and I haven't done much blending myself (though I do love to layer my ouds!). The Indian I used was the Nagaland from riviera274, and it isn't a kick-in-your-face oil. And the Cambodi was one that I got from Feel Oud about four years ago (not one of his distillations, I don't think), called Purple Cambodi, which is a really fruity, plummy, earthy, deep oud.

If I was you and wanted to blend ouds, I would start off by layering on your arm, rather than mixing in a bottle. And, when you do move to a bottle, start small and use less of the more overpower oil in the beginning.

MzM

Oud King
MzM, I have very little experience with Indian Ouds and I haven't done much blending myself (though I do love to layer my ouds!). The Indian I used was the Nagaland from riviera274, and it isn't a kick-in-your-face oil. And the Cambodi was one that I got from Feel Oud about four years ago (not one of his distillations, I don't think), called Purple Cambodi, which is a really fruity, plummy, earthy, deep oud.

If I was you and wanted to blend ouds, I would start off by layering on your arm, rather than mixing in a bottle. And, when you do move to a bottle, start small and use less of the more overpower oil in the beginning.

Will try layering on the arm first, much appreciated.

Mr.P

oud<3er
I just revisited the Feel Oud ko chan oils. These are really very interesting. They have a Thai quality of course but there is this minty Borneo thing going on to varying degrees in these oils, and to my nose this nice minty note is emerging more strongly as these age. These oils have such a strange cherry-syrup / bitter almond top note but such a nice heart and base. Very different from the Chan Yan oil... anyway even though they are in some ways odd oils with a few flaws, I love them and feel lucky to have them in my stash.

hedycent

True Ouddict
Speaking of chan yan, I put a bit of crushed ambergris into a vial with 1.5g of chan yan , back when it was released.
.......:)
Has anyone else tried directly maccerating ambergris in other ouds?

Mr.P

oud<3er
Hedycent - that sounds like a good idea. I have so far only macerated ambergris in sandalwood though it really layers nicely with oud so I'm sure it is a good thing to try.

F4R1d0uX

Resident Artisan
No don't think so, I have noticed some notes of blood orange in some Hindi ouds but nothing I would call citrusy , are you thinking of sinensis oils?

I boycot burmese but burmese malleccensis sounds the best or if not a citrussy microcarpa can do the deal if you want it sweeter :rolleyes:

The more refined Ambergris (gold/white) can't compete with strength of Oud scent. It will have to play more of an "influence role" which makes it more trial and error. The younger stronger Ambergris might be more predictable, and it would be interesting to see if it could augment the animalics in barnyard ouds:)