Golden Ambergris

Discussion in 'Tyson Mortensen' started by tyson, Sep 27, 2019.

1. tyson

tyson Oud Alchemist

Sea Treasure - Golden Ambergris

This ambergris is old , very old , on the one side it has a thick layer of white but under that its layer and layer of gold separating each layer a crust of black . Its like a tree's rings with the layers that represented a set amount of time … with trees thats being seasons of time . With ambergris I have no idea what time each layer represents but its cool never the less.

This ambergris reminds me of the highest quality agarwood oil and then aged for 50 years . Total refinement , elegant and classy with just enough oomh in the silage . Fermented plums, figs , vanilla , a oceanic yet earthy hue tweed and old books in a ancient library . Tabaco , cacao, coffee, milky babys breath ,a salty sweet musky odor , deeply entrancing . More intricacies and subtilties than is perceivable , endlessly addictive .

This just might be my holy grail of ambergris ! The 1000 year old ancient white ambergris I used in making the award winning attar Euphoria was stunning but it was like a bone " monotone " , it was just now one thing , pure but like a ghost , ethereal and enchanting . This golden ambergris is brought to life ...a full life , perhaps it tells of the story of the great whale that carried and formed it . Each chapters passage between each later . What great voyages does it impart within !!

This is a ambergris to wear in deep contemplation or to evoke thought . To bring together be it in your work sphere or in intimate encounters . Its like wearing a cloak of confidence... a aura of the sublime . A great gift to those around you , even if its just a subconscious lingering within.

I would just keep it all for myself as its so dear to my heart but in the way of zen blossoms fall , we must release all that we hold dear and if we can do that they truly we are free. No past no future only the perfection of the moment realized ! That's why its the present .

A treasure of sultans and kings , a goddesses delight... I present
    Golden Ambergris

40 a gram for raw
    50 a gram for resinoid
    Contact me if you would like me to add it to any of my oils in a special custom made attar
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/740104333/golden-ambergris?ref=listing_published_alert
    70642779_384904495776312_6961104842408329216_n.jpg 11111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111.jpg 11111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111.jpg 1111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111.jpg

2. OudGood

OudGood True Ouddict

Stunning!

tyson likes this.
  3. tyson

tyson Oud Alchemist

If you order 10 grams plus , its 30 a gram for the raw golden ambegris

Kabir Attars likes this.
  4. Martin

Martin Oud Novice

Hey Tyson, Will the resinoid dissolve in fractionated coconut oil? If so would 1 gram of resinoid be a good amount to add to 10 grams of FCO to use as a perfume/ attar ingredient? Would a 2 grams dissolve properly with 10 gram FCO to make a more concentrated mixture?

I’ve been looking for a way to make my own ambergris “tincture.” I could buy the raw and just use alcohol but I like the idea of macerating in oil. TY.

tyson, Mr.P, Tarik and 1 other person like this.
  5. Mr.P

Mr.P Evoloudtionary Bioudlogist

It would dissolve for sure but you will need to use heat. I personally have never smelled an extraction in a fixed oil that made me happy though. The fixed oils mute things, eventually get weird off notes... maybe I haven’t tried the right oil. I can’t tell you how many people have claimed jojoba never gets off notes but I can always tell when there is jojoba and it’s nasty. Hate the stuff. I have not experimented much with fco though and I know it is a good option as far as oils go.

Have you considered dissolving in mild sandalwood? All these recent root oils coming out of Sri Lanka - cheap(ish) and bland - it might carry the ambergris without interfering too much? The sandalwood ambergris intersection is quite nice, thought the sandalwood always makes itself known. I have a 50:50 ambergris resinoid in sandalwood and when I give my friends a dab, they always sense the sandalwood right away. But I used a very strong smelling fine Indian hydrodistilled non-root oil so it is not as subdued as it could be.

Ethanol really is special as a solvent and carrier. We are so lucky to have this natural solvent, it is kind of miraculous. I read in Poucher that alcohol was traditional “pre-fixed” with ambergris because there is an olfactory resonance or fit between ethanol and ambergris. Ambergris is said to de-odorize alcohol and I just feel there is a harmony there.

You could make a super-thick tincture (in the old days they would make “20 fold” tinctures which is more or less what Tyson is doing but he concentrates it more). Dissolve in alcohol, then evaporate until it is 1/20 volume... if you start with a 3% tincture you will have a thick goo that is like 60% ambergris and 40% alcohol. I have no idea what the consistency would be like. You could just add two parts alcohol to one part resinoid and see if that has the properties you want.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
    Joe King and tyson like this.
  6. Tarik

Tarik Junior Member

tyson likes this.
  7. Mr.P

“With ambergris I have no idea what time each layer represents but its cool never the less.”

I read a great article. Shared it here a while back. Ambergris is impacted feces.
    Normal whale feces are liquid but sometimes they get constipated and the feces becomes solid and cannot pass. There’s some kind of physiological process that draws water from the intestine which causes the blockage to harden and condense and form a smaller solid turd, allowing fluid feces to pass when the whale’s digestion returns to normal. I think the rings represent different episodes of constipation, with new layers of fecal material deposited to the surface. Apparently the rounded lumps eventually make their way down and get expelled, or released when the whale dies.

humans sometimes have feces impacted in their colon... can take purgatives to get rid of it. similar deal. Human ambergris? Will it smell great if it sits in the toilet for a few days?

this is one of those things I sometimes wish I could “un-know”...

I also read in Poucher that one group of brave perfumers filled a cask with human feces and allowed it to ferment for a year or two. They reported a perfect facsimile of ambergris scent after the process was complete.

Kabir Attars likes this.
  8. Mr.P

dissolves easily in sandalwood if heated. I cannot think of a better ambergris oil than a gram of Tyson’s extract in a gram or two of sandalwood. Ambergris in condensed form, rendered fluid with a nutty sandalwood. That’s as good as ambergris has gotten, for me!

Joe King and Tarik like this.
  9. tyson

tyson Oud Alchemist

Yes it dissolves
    Interesting !!

Ambergris resinoid will dissolve into sandalwood very nice , a maseration of the raw material will also but some material in it wont and then its a big muddy mess, and you lose some of your sandalwood into the crud , primitive and unrefined process really, and then you have to wait for it to mature , the resinoid is all the stuff in ambergris that will dissolve fully into sandalwood and essential oils . Im just basically taking out anything that's not going to dissolve into a oil or alcohol. The art of it is in the curing process were you remove all the alcohol and have it very clean down to a very small micron filter , this removes any nucleation that will start off a crystallization process. There is a whole process to this that im still refining .

Joe King and Mr.P like this.
  10. tyson

tyson Oud Alchemist

I so agree with this , it is as good as it gets , mysore sandalwood and ambergris , heaven ! For everyday wearing and cost reduction I quite enjoy ambergris , royal hojary first fraction / The first fraction evaporates very quickly so your then left with all the ambergris goodness , at the higher concentration like a 50/50 the ambergris kinds dries on your skin if you apply it liberally in few swipes in the same spot , then when the first fraction hojary evaporates the ambergris spot left emits the best scent mmm its my favorite. So dry ambergris emits to my nose much more of its potential and also more projection... this is why ambergris oils get muted there traped in the oil , im sure this is why ambergris in alcohol works , its a dry carrier vs a trapping oil that would keep the scent closer to the skin.

When my new mysore sandalwood batch gets here im totally doing a high percentage golden ambergris / Mysore . Only to be worn on special occasions !! The other days hojary/gris !

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
    Bryan-I, Joe King and Mr.P like this.
  11. tyson

tyson Oud Alchemist

I would not use coconut oil it will dull the gris scent . I would not do a maceration , muddy affair. I would do a tincture ! and then just filter and reduce and use in either a essential oil blend or just reduce and either swipe or spray . But each to there own :) The resinoid I have will make it easier for what ever purpose you like but the raw may give you more enjoyment to create and have fun with the process

Joe King and Mr.P like this.
  12. Mr.P

First fraction frankincense - that’s brilliant. If it is very volatile it’s a bit like alcohol I suppose (as you clearly described). Fantastic! Only Tyson could make this happen...

Back to the original question - I see this resinoid at this price as a blue-moon opportunity to experience ambergris on a deeper level. I would personally have regretted missing this purchase (I have two resinoid samples, one quite mild and one a little more wild).

just remember to be patient with the heating and blending of the resinoid... make it a labor of love.

13. tyson

tyson Oud Alchemist

Your most kind Mr.P , im wearing some first fraction frank/ambergris right now , its been about a hour since I applied it and now its all ambergris mmm love it so much ! You can always get some of this one,the golden ambergris resinoid I mean ! Ive been thinking of trying to make a absolute from the resinoid , not sure it will work but ill give it a go and see what happens

Bryan-I likes this.

Promote Oud!