Khan01

Oud Beginner
I need guidance to identify if the wood i have is Kynam/Kyara..!
We got this inside the log i posted in the first picture. we inherited this from our ansestors. more than a century old.
im trying to do various experiments myself at home to see what exactly it is. But couldn’t make out how to test it correctly.
Appreciate someone with experience if possible please can guide..

Attachments

• IMG_8355.png
    IMG_8355.png
    110.2 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_9893.jpeg
    IMG_9893.jpeg
    155.2 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_9894.jpeg
    IMG_9894.jpeg
    164.2 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_9895.jpeg
    IMG_9895.jpeg
    173.2 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_9896.jpeg
    IMG_9896.jpeg
    210.9 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_9897.jpeg
    IMG_9897.jpeg
    256.2 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_9898.jpeg
    IMG_9898.jpeg
    210.1 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_9899.jpeg
    IMG_9899.jpeg
    191 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_9900.jpeg
    IMG_9900.jpeg
    276.6 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_9901.jpeg
    IMG_9901.jpeg
    255.5 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_9902.jpeg
    IMG_9902.jpeg
    224.1 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_9903.jpeg
    IMG_9903.jpeg
    243.5 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_9904.jpeg
    IMG_9904.jpeg
    244.4 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_9905.jpeg
    IMG_9905.jpeg
    246.2 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

-Renton-

True Ouddict
i added more pictures in the post..please see.
What is the history and background of this wood? Like where did you source it etc? It LOOKS just like normal blonde agarwood, but no one here can tell you what it is because its an aromatic, we need to smell it lol. Of course there are pieces of Kyara that if you take a picture of with a very good camera you can see that it is 100% Kynam, but this camera doesnt cut it, so who knows? Whats the history, background, where did you source it etc? What did the person say it was, if you bought it?

Khan01

Oud Beginner
This log was in our family since more than a century. Now the old house is leveled to ground and everything divided.We cut the log and found it to be not just a normal wood. The wood is resinous and inside the central cavity was this. and also black residue. when burned on wood smells good. I also soaked the samples in water for a few days and kept it in a double boiler to see what happens. Its milk sweet smell. and resinous water . The wood sinks.
There was evidence of some activity happening in this wood which caused this i guess. Also evidence of some kind of ants effect too. Hence all my reads and research points to if it can be unique Kinam? How should i confirm? is there any way i can?

Mr.P

oud<3er
You would need to find someone who knows kinam, kyara, and the similar smelling woods well enough to tell them apart. You will definitely need to physically deliver something to a person one way or another. Send a little piece to one of the trusted vendors here if they are willing. I don't want to pick a name because they are all qualified to help you figure that out to the best of my knowledge.

zahir

Ouducation Student
I suggest you read other similar threads on this topic. But if that is too much: take the wood to an agarwood/kyara expert. No one will be able to give you the answer based on pictures alone. If you're asking me, it does not look like kyara nor agarwood. If it were kyara, you room would have exploded with fragrance when it was cut. Fragrance that would make you curl your toes.

Khan01

Oud Beginner
I suggest you read other similar threads on this topic. But if that is too much: take the wood to an agarwood/kyara expert. No one will be able to give you the answer based on pictures alone. If you're asking me, it does not look like kyara nor agarwood. If it were kyara, you room would have exploded with fragrance when it was cut. Fragrance that would make you curl your toes.
That’s a good suggestion..as im totally new to the idea of any such wood..all my knowledge is only based to reading various pages. Appreciate if u can name someone who you think can guide.
The smell is mild woody sweet. Not when its kept on the table and u can smell around it though. its only when i burnt on coal and also i soaked it in water for a few days..and slow boiled it for like six hours. can smell mild sweet smell in that water.

zahir

Ouducation Student
That’s a good suggestion..as im totally new to the idea of any such wood..all my knowledge is only based to reading various pages. Appreciate if u can name someone who you think can guide.
The smell is mild woody sweet. Not when its kept on the table and u can smell around it though. its only when i burnt on coal and also i soaked it in water for a few days..and slow boiled it for like six hours. can smell mild sweet smell in that water.
Thats very atypical of agarwood and kinam that you have to do all of that to make it release the aroma. Seeing as how you are from Oman, simply take a sample to a reputable agarwood seller locally and see if they can help you. If not, contact Ensar to see if you can send him a sample. Just looking at the pictures and how its behaving it does not sound like agarwood nor Kinam.

Khan01

Oud Beginner
Thats very atypical of agarwood and kinam that you have to do all of that to make it release the aroma. Seeing as how you are from Oman, simply take a sample to a reputable agarwood seller locally and see if they can help you. If not, contact Ensar to see if you can send him a sample. Just looking at the pictures and how its behaving it does not sound like agarwood nor Kinam.
ok sure..ill do
thanks

Khan01

Oud Beginner
What is the history and background of this wood? Like where did you source it etc? It LOOKS just like normal blonde agarwood, but no one here can tell you what it is because its an aromatic, we need to smell it lol. Of course there are pieces of Kyara that if you take a picture of with a very good camera you can see that it is 100% Kynam, but this camera doesnt cut it, so who knows? Whats the history, background, where did you source it etc? What did the person say it was, if you bought it?
can you please specify the camera with which i can take better pictures which can help identifying easier?