1. Please excuse us while we carrying out important changes to the forum.

Honest Reviews, Positive And Negative

Discussion in 'General' started by Mr.P, Feb 9, 2020.

1. Mr.P

Mr.P Evoloudtionary Bioudlogist

One challenge of posting on a forum populated in part by vendors is the difficulty in exchanging honest reviews in public without insulting anyone who is a member of the community and whom we view as friends or colleagues. On those times I’ve been a bit blunt / honest / direct when discussing oils, I have always “held back” on the negativity, but still felt bad about not being effusive about a sample, even though I was choosing my words carefully. In a social group, the “if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing” approach is a decent place to start, and I feel like that is the driving principle here, but it kind of distorts reality to keep everyone involved.

Can we create anonymous polls to review oud oils to create a way for honest collective feedback?

for example , you could create a poll with the name of an oud, and then have check boxes or a multiple choice questionnaire, along with a summary of the polling results. You could focus on objective characteristics - longevity, projection, barn level, etc. along with some kind of general personal appeal questions (for example, is this in the top, middle, or bottom 1/3 of oils in your experience).

I imagine a strong negative review could lead to some challenging fallout, but we are all adults and I think ultimately a vendor would want to know which of their oils are being favorably received and which are getting candy coated public reviews out of respect / kindness / social graces (but not earning repeat customers). Also, being adults, we would know to take any “love it / don’t love it” questions in the poll for what they are: personal taste and opinion. But there could be other questions focused on less subjective information as well like duration, projection, funk level, and so on.

As I think about this idea I’m sort of only half enthusiastic about it, but I figured it was something we could discuss here and maybe implement in some adequate way if people like the idea.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
    Bilal, Arsalan, Hakim and 4 others like this.
  2. Dan

Dan True Ouddict

The only issue with Oud is ....its a personal choice personal feeling .... the oil experience differs with mood, how much u swipe, where u swipe, weather etc etc

Being able to objectify the Oud with a poll may actually give us results but can really hurt the vendor.

May be someone who doesnt have the Oud also may just give a poll to skew the results.

This is my 2 cents

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

911LambMelb, Bilal, Mario P. and 2 others like this.
  3. EJayB

EJayB True Ouddict

I don’t think vendors here will be to sour about a review where the customer was unimpressed.
    That’s why we as customers buy samples and give reviews. Some don’t like barn and some do, some can’t get past the Sri Lankan while others are just not interested at all . Some love the first fraction fruit forward while others are bored with that. I think as long as a review is honest and on point with the customer the vendor will appreciate the input. My point of view is that of a new vendor on the site (Olefaktory) I’ll be vending soon . I don’t know about all the other vendors but I don’t really think this is where most of our products are being sold ( I’m opening a retail in my town) and I doubt a polite review even if the customer didn’t jive with the oil would offend.
    The key is ... a polite review not derogatory

4. Dan

Dan True Ouddict

When I said itll hurt the vendor I mean

Just a casual statement from someone "this x oud reminds me of y oud" can create enough controversy.... I think objectifying a beautiful thing as Oud with a score/poll isn't fair.

As a end user I think all Artisans are doing their best to bring the best work to us.

decent review should be enough but a poll can be super misleading in my opinion.

Again my 2 cents

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

5. Arsalan

Arsalan True Ouddict

I agree with @Mr.P ....would be nice to have a fragrantica or basenotes type note breakdown survey type thing...
    Subjective or not...a crap oil or low quality wood with little scent are what they are...

Oudamberlove, Mr.P, Rai Munir and 3 others like this.
  6. Rai Munir

Rai Munir Musk Man

In fact, the forum is grown up now. And members are grown up as well. So, anything mature can be exercised here. Otherwise, if's and but's are always there to hinder whatever is to be initiated.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020

Promote Oud!