Hydrosol Question

Discussion in 'Sandalwood' started by Andrew Salkin, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Andrew Salkin

Andrew Salkin it's aboud time!

What is it?

What is it used for? Do people throw this away after distillation?

I have a little EO water diffuser that sits by my bedside. I'm always temped to put a few drops of sandalwood or oud oils in there, but it feels wasteful. Would sandal or oud hydrosol work well in a device like this for aromatics in a small room? With the diffuser I usually put tea tree oil or peppermint - but those are cheap so I probably put .5-1ML in with the water. With hydrosol, could I just use that in there? Would this be expensive - I've never seen it for sale anywhere.

Last question of the week - promise ;)

2. Mr.P

Mr.P Evoloudtionary Bioudlogist

Keep those questions coming! I think that should be a great use for hydrosol, assuming it is free from bacterial growth. I would guess you would have to add preservatives or freeze the hydrofoil right away since it is essentially just scented water. I would be uncomfortable breathing in old vaporized hydrosol as even plain water will eventually get a film of bacteria on the container walls. How long can you keep an opened bottle of water? That’s probably about how long you can trust a hydrosol to be clean of microbes.

3. Andrew Salkin

Andrew Salkin it's aboud time!

What is it normally used for though? I always read vendors saying they got x amount of oil from such and such a distillation and also x amount of hydrosol. They make it sounds like it's good for something, but I haven't yet figured out what. Is there some kind of product they use it for?

What about this. Could you distill some oud oil - take the hyrdrosol (do whatever's needed to keep it germ free like you mentioned:) - and then use it as the "water" source for a sandalwood hydro distillation? (or vice versa)? Also - if you theorhetically left hydrosol out to dry in a pryex pan for hours, when the water evaporated, what would be left? Hydrosol goo? I like goo.

4. Edward jay Bullock

Edward jay Bullock True Ouddict

Some people use the same water over and over in the still, some drink it . Most is used as floral sprays and such in the perfume world. Lavender hydrosol is widely used. I often reuse my hydrosol from one run to the next to concentrate the aromas and then use it in a floral spray or as the water in any of my preparations for body care products.

5. Edward jay Bullock

Edward jay Bullock True Ouddict

I also think the water off the still in a clean glass jar stays good for quite some time as the distillation is free from bacterial contamination, I see rose water going for a pretty good price

Promote Oud!