1. Please excuse us while we carrying out important changes to the forum.

Incense and Bakhoor

Discussion in 'Incense Sticks and Bakhoor' started by Ouddict, Apr 2, 2017.

1. RisingPhoenix

RisingPhoenix Resident Artisan

Some killer lump charcoal you've got there. What is it you're using, specifically?

VPhong likes this.
  2. VPhong

VPhong Oud Tea

Hahaha, the wood is from Laos PDR. That's all the lady at the shop could tell me. I broke it up myself into manageable pieces. I wish I knew what it is also. I got it to purify and soften the water I use for brewing tea. I dug up this old picture for you.

(L) Bamboo (M) Wood from Laos PDR (R) Eucalyptus wood

Attached Files:

3. RisingPhoenix

Looks like some great carbonized woods there! If nothing else - visually striking :)

Do they have a low or no odor profile like the bamboo charcoals?

4. VPhong

VPhong Oud Tea

I would say the wood is very clean. No odor that I can detect. The wood is quite dense so it takes a while to get going.

RisingPhoenix likes this.
  5. Nikhil S

Nikhil S Resident Reviewer

I have a Senkoh nose. I tried Nerikoh Balls on my ceramic burner first. It was clean, very subtle nuances. But I would have to stick the appartus up my nose to enjoy it. Plus putting frankincense on Mica plates almost coats it with an annoying sticky film. The onlu Nerikoh Balls I have uses came from Vphong. And when I put these on coal.....beautiful. The frankincense and other materials were dancing. Full spectrum of aromas was released and my whole unit was smelling beautiful. The agarpieces preserved in a paste of honey and frankincense saved it from getting barbequed. I found the smell stunning and the balls are perfectly thought of. Monkoh is way too demanding for my needs but for those who practice it must be a superb experience.

6. Kswer

Kswer Whats this Oud About?

Agree. My first bakhoor and am loving it.

7. RisingPhoenix

Agarwood is getting to a place that it needs to be demanding. Won't be long before chucking wood on charcoal becomes barbaric to all and not just the Japanese ;)

For Frank (or any Resin) on Mica Plates - soak in wet used tea leaves. Green tea leaves work best. Resin will come right off.

A lot of time and intention goes into making Nerikoh. Into forming good Agarwood, for that matter, too. Thinking they are too demanding to enjoy properly is like rushing through an orgasm.

Maybe you don't deserve to have sex. Haha

8. Nikhil S

I don't know if I am worthy of any sex but I sure know how to heat a chip gently. The purpose is to heat the resin. We are talking about Nerikoh Balls. For me Oud deserves to be on a heater - ceramic or coil. I use the traditional charcoal method too to fumigate my rooms quickly or to scent my clothes. I used 80pc exhausted coconut husk charcoal and with the grade of Oud I use I only need the size of a 5th digit nail. I think sometimes we forget that this forum has no people who throw precious woods onto hot charcoals. Better chances of finding one at a local night club not this place.

9. RisingPhoenix

Haha - I wish I knew how to better use emojis on this forum. They don't seem to post the ones on my phone. Hope my comment was not taken too seriously...I meant in jest! :)

Bringing my heater to a nightclub just got added to my bucket list...

10. Nikhil S

Not at all mate. You take that heater to a club and you would have eliminated any chances of a romantic liasion. Have a good day.

Arsalan, Rai Munir, firdaous and 3 others like this.
  11. RisingPhoenix

I dunno know...lots of Gulf folk in the clubs here in the ATL! Haha ;)

VPhong likes this.
  12. Rai Munir

Rai Munir Musk Man

Well, there is visible inclination towards fumigation. Oudwood, incense sticks, etc. Let's see, for how long it lasts. But one thing that I fascinate is the way the Arabs burn woods. Not tiny chips for individual nose, and bending over ceramic or charcoal, but burn that much wood that all the house turns to be Oud. And the way they burn Oudwood on arrival of guests.

I myself love wood as I am sure the journey is from wood to oil, and not inverse. But, poor me, just tiny tiny teeny chips:Cry::Cry::Cry:. I wish if somebody burns a log or pretty enough amount of Oudwood and post the picture. Now, some time, I feel I look funny when burn a microscopic chip and crouch to catch the wafts:nose::Roflmao:.

EHV, Arsalan, Nikhil S and 1 other person like this.
  13. VPhong

VPhong Oud Tea

Individual enjoyment and appreciation is subjective. We all have our preferences and thankfully there is more than one way to prepare and enjoy incense. Just enjoy!

LIGHTS, MUSIC, INCENSE and LOVE .. for EVERYONE :Roflmao::Roflmao::Roflmao:

Under gentle heat the scent is lighter and more pure. The Japanese way of getting close and personal with the scent is to literally have your nose inches away from the heated material. I imagine it does take some getting used to and not necessary for everyone. :Laugh::Laugh::Laugh:

:Cry::Cry::Cry: As the wood gets more expensive and rare it is likely that all the pieces that get put on the heater or charcoal will become progressively smaller ...

14. firdaous

firdaous Oud Kinamic

@Nikhil S Bro you made my day :Roflmao::Roflmao::Roflmao::Roflmao::Roflmao::Roflmao::Roflmao:

15. Al Shareef Oudh

Al Shareef Oudh Resident Artisan

The contemporary Japanese methodology of incense culture takes it's roots from the Chinese incense culture. The Chinese have been using some sort of incense as far back as the neolithic period and becoming more wide spread in the Shu'e, Jung, Juo'e Dynasties at around 2000 BC.

The incense culture in Japan only dates back 1200 years, when a Chinese Buddhist monk Jien Jun set out on a mission to Japan to spread Buddhism. He took along with him a large collection of Incense ingredients and Spices amongst other things.

The famous Japanese folk lore of a big chunk of Agarwood washing on the shore and the soldiers burning it for firewood, before the remains were sent to the Palace because the General noted the smell to be beautiful, at the Palace they identifying it as Agarwood. Japanese historians place this event to be after the period that Jien Jun had arrived there and established the understanding of incense, and therefore whilst the common folk had no idea yet (burning agarwood for fire wood) , the nobles were developing understanding of the art.

It is therefore important to understand these arts in the correct context. The Chinese appreciated 3 things in the evaluation of the incense, the ingredients that went into making the incense, the shape /colour of the smoke and how long the smells lasted. They then expressed the evaluation in poetry that was more than just an evaluation but a reflection on life composed as lines about incense. These three distinct elements were observed in three main methods, Indirect heat, direct heat, and Shape burning. Shape burning was the practice of using incense powder and drawing the shape of one Chinese character, then burning it with direct heat.

Across the different Chinese dynasties noblemen, monks and people of the high class were encouraged to engage in incense, painting, tea classification and flower arrangement, these were known as the 4 basic gentle arts.

In the Sung dynasty incense burning was regarded as highly as painting and recitation of poetry. It was studied in the garden or quiet rooms. Guests were encouraged to study the composition of the incense and the shapes of the smoke and the duration of the lingering fragrance. After the appreciation, scholars would express the evaluation in poetry to those present.

In Chinese culture there has been a close affiliation between burning the incense and Buddhism. This is also represented in why there is a focus on sandalwood. The folk of the famous ox head sandalwood is one such indulgence of the period. Incense in Buddhism implies noble virtue and purity. The incense is seen as a means by which one can burn away selfish thoughts.

The Chinese monk took these methods to the Japanese and taught them the same. The Japanese tend to have taken more liking to the indirect method of heating as it aligns with their temperament and also their nature of how they like to listen to the scent. They have to some extent not taken the two direct methods as much, though they do enjoy burning of sticks.

In Islamic culture we have written record of heating of incense that extends 1439years, from there one we have Arabic oral tradition in the form of Poetry that extends back centuries. In Central and South Asia cultures there have both written and oral transmission for the appreciation of incense that extends thousands of years. We have clear instruction on how the incense is applied, the fact that it is not marketed as well as Japanese kodo culture or because majority of Muslims don't know how, does not take from the essence. If we chose to be generous, gracious, hospitable and welcoming by putting a big junk on the ashed charcoal, then that is us saying; my guests I love you so I am going to indulge you with my most valuable possession. and i am not going to be stingy with it.

That same expression to the Japanese might be to do a kodo session, to each there own, but we cant gauge one culture by the standards of another, when the contexts are totally different.

As such to assume that the Japanese are the yard stick for how incense should be heated is very misleading, it is like following the student when there are masters around. But then again that is just a reflection of the whole oudh scene online, everyone has a keyboard and camera to be an expert.

Hosayn, Ashfaque, AbasFrag and 8 others like this.
  16. Rai Munir

Rai Munir Musk Man

That's it! This what actually the historical and cultural truth is. When it is subtracted from the discussion, the rest is invalid.

Thanks a lot, respected Al Shareef Oudh.

17. VPhong

VPhong Oud Tea

Wonderful history. I especially enjoy how the appreciation of these gentle arts were//and currently are used to cultivate the nobility in the human spirit, open minds and encourage calm and peace in our thoughts and actions.

18. Hosayn

Hosayn True Ouddict

So true

19. Hosayn

Hosayn True Ouddict

Having been using the Scented Month Burnable by @Al Shareef Oudh. I have nothing but rave reviews for it.

The srilankan Oudh, Indian Sandalwood with hand crafted bakhoor along with dikhr frankincense emits such a beautiful fragnance that it leaves every soul mesmerized with the smell. The beautiful qirat of quran at the mid of the night to soothe the ears with beautiful smell from the scented month for the nose. It cant get any better than this. Alhamdulillah

20. AZsmell

AZsmell True Ouddict

Burning an Agar Aura Quang Nam incense stick today.Just received the package today.
    Only ingredients are Vietnamese red soil agarwood powder and makko.
    This was only offered in a private sale. Amazing scent.
    I hope Taha does more incense stick releases. I missed out on the Nha Trang but the Borneo sticks were great too.

sg1011 and alcolado glacial like this.

Promote Oud!