TDK

Oud Fanatic
I have wanted to post this question for a while and today I saw it on posted on Facebook by a different user and thought I would repost here as the only answer I saw was 'faulty dipsticks'. I think the users here are at a higher level. It references why are some of my bottles leaking while others do not?

This was my response: I don't think it is bad sticks as I have had this happen with storage bottles that have had different things stored in them and some will leak while others do not. I think it is more of a chemistry/climate issue. You can certainly try new dipsticks but I think it depends on the specific chemical makeup and the temperature/humidity in which it is stored. I have also had this happen with some florals and mosses which are very thick. Maybe someone out there has more info on this phenomenon.

Does anyone have any thoughts or expertise in this area?

TDK

Oud Fanatic
I have found leakage, the cause and the cure. At least for my experience. I had an attar bleed up the stick and past a bad seal down the outside of the bottle, like a barometer, atmospheric pressure and a bad seal. I cut a new o-ring, no more problem.
If you get time, maybe a photo of what you did would be beneficial. Thanks

Sproaty

Sproudy
Staff member
hey, I brought this up before (https://www.ouddict.com/threads/oud-of-the-day.8/page-953#post-91419)

I've had a recent purchase from another member, where the oil has leaked during transport, and 0.8ml has leaked out - so me and the seller are really out of pocket for this (~$250 each, we agreed a partial refund so that we both "lose out" effectively)

This has made me worried about my collection. All of my oils are stored upright, and I've noticed that some oils I've had for 4-5 years have a lot of oil at the top of the bottle, and inside the cap. I've looked at some bottles that I've barely used and the level just seem much less than I feel like I've used (just a gut feeling though). I have a lot of oils, and the thought of these just wasting away/evaporating is a bit annoying, thinking of the money lost by doing so.

How does oil travel up the bottle/applicator?

It seems that oils with glass applicators are much more prone to doing this. I guess the solution is to transfer everything to V vials, but that's quite costly to purchase in the first place, and there'll be oil loss during the transfer, too.

TDK

Oud Fanatic
I have seen this with several of the more viscous liquids, including recently with honey. Randomly, some honeys will leak out of the top and some do not leak at all. Same with oud and some essential oils. I have yet to see a sandalwood oil leak but my ouds leak about 20% of the time. I hesitate to use a rubber seal or anything else like as it would have an impact on the scent profile. I think this issue has something to do with condensation but am puzzled as to why some ouds leak and some do not.

Maybe it would be best to invest in some high-recovery V-vials?

Sproaty

Sproudy
Staff member
I have seen this with several of the more viscous liquids, including recently with honey. Randomly, some honeys will leak out of the top and some do not leak at all. Same with oud and some essential oils. I have yet to see a sandalwood oil leak but my ouds leak about 20% of the time. I hesitate to use a rubber seal or anything else like as it would have an impact on the scent profile. I think this issue has something to do with condensation but am puzzled as to why some ouds leak and some do not.

Maybe it would be best to invest in some high-recovery V-vials?

I'll have to go check and see if I can see if it's thicker oils that seem to be more problematic.