Al Shareef Oudh

Master Perfumer

‘LUBAAN - Ancient Resin'
Lubaan is the Arabic term for Frankincense, Frankincense is an aromatic, congealed, resinous sap from a specific variety of trees in the genus Boswelia. Most of the trees in the Boswelia genus are aromatic, and many of them produce a scented resinous sap, but only one tree, Boswelia sacra produces the highest grade of frankincense, also known as “true” incense.

Frankincense use dates back centuries, the Egyptians, Greeks, Romans, Arabs and many other cultures used frankincense in variety of rituals from burials rights to celebrations. Frankincense was such a commodity in demand that some believe it was the driving force of the first global economy from 500 BC feeding global trade for well over a thousand years.

The aromatic qualities of frankincense have been used in a variety of ways over the centuries, to release its scent the frankincense is either burned or smoldered over hot coals, chewed on, soaked in water over night for a refreshing and rejuvenating drink the next morning. The smoke from burning frankincense is effective in driving away mosquitoes and other insects.

The quality and type of lubaan is based on several factors, which include colour, purity, aroma, clump size, age of the tree, season of harvest, and also the geographical location of the plant source. Sahaz xarfi , Sahaz serbi , Sahaz kidi , and Sahaz estebi are the four types of gums known in Jibali Arabic, collected during four different seasons from eastern Dhofar, of which Sahaz xarfi , the gum collected during the monsoon season, is considered to be the best quality, followed by Sahaz serbi , the gum collected during the months following the monsoon. Sahaz kidi and Sahaz estebi are the gums collected during the summer and winter seasons, respectively, and are of inferior quality compared to the two former types.

Omani lubaan is commercially available in four grades, under the local names Hoojari , Najdi , Shathari , and Shaabi. Hoojari , the first grade resin having the lightest colour and a larger clump size, which is collected from the trees growing in the north of the Samhan mountains. Najdi, the second grade resin having a pale yellow colour, collected from the plateau behind the Dhofar mountains. Shathari , the third-grade resin, which is darker in colour and collected from the northwest of Dhofar. Finally, Shaabi , the fourth-grade lubaan, which also has a darker colour and is collected from the valleys.

Frankincense is an important oleo-gum resin used in several industries including pharmacy, food, flavor, liqueur, beverage, cosmetic, and perfumery industries. Frankincense has been treasured for its sacred and ceremonial uses since long, even before Biblical times and is essentially a mixture of essential oils (5 – 9%), EtOH-soluble resin (65 – 85%), and H 2 O-soluble gums. The essential oil of frankincense is one of the most commonly used oils in the aromatherapy practice and used against respiration disorders. It eases breathing and is useful for asthma patients. In perfumery, frankincense oil is used as a fixative and for its fresh balsamic, dry, resinous, somewhat green note in Oriental bases, ambers, florals, colognes, and male fragrances.

Here we are offering the Hoojari Frankincense, which is the highest quality frankincense that comes from Oman, these were collected in the last monsoon season June-September 2018. We have stored them in sealed containers for 12 months allowing them to mature. In the olden days the Lubaan used to mature in the journey from the fields to the markets, on camel back and sea voyages. This process is unfortunately missed in the world of commercial planes. In order to restore this key step, we aged the resins in house for a more refined experience.
1569510347_lubaan%20hoojri.jpg

<<CLICK HERE TO GET YOURS >>

Reference;

“Composition and Antibacterial Activity of the Essential Oils of Four Commercial Grades of Omani Luban” Salim H Al Saidi et al ,

“The Story of Frankincense” MEI

Sofmusc

Oud Beginner
I think I will order inchallah :D

Al Shareef Oudh

Master Perfumer
Ouddict family we need to sell this stock of Luban so here is a special offer only for ouddicts, please DM

250grams $110 + 20 USD DHL
500grams $200 + 30 USD DHL because with packing it exceeds the 500gram bracket.

As many of you have tried, it is a very high quality Hojary Luban. This Luban is also aged, so it means that the moisture has mostly dried out from the resin and what you have left is pure resin. The burn is more clean and less smokey, very fragrant.

Please email [email protected] to grab yours. We have about 1kg left.

Al Shareef Oudh

Master Perfumer
some have asked if these can be eaten.

My requirement from the growers is to provide us with the Lubaan that are beneficial as supplements. I am not fussed about green and blue, my requirement as taught to me by the elder is, those that are good to consume are also good to fumigate with. The local growers know this and they collect such batches for their tribes and also the university for research purposes. Every season they offer me some from these batches and i buy a whole allocation.

You will realize when you fumigate with these, that they are much softer and slightly herbal.

For those who wish to consumer them, you take a table spoon of crushed lubaan and soak it in water for 24hours, then drink it in the morning on an empty stomach 15minutes before meals, this is good for memory and anxiety.

For gums you can chew these through out the day.

There are many other applications and you can do a google search on some medical journals and the benefits of Omani Hojari Lubaan.

Mustafa

True Ouddict
some have asked if these can be eaten.

My requirement from the growers is to provide us with the Lubaan that are beneficial as supplements. I am not fussed about green and blue, my requirement as taught to me by the elder is, those that are good to consume are also good to fumigate with. The local growers know this and they collect such batches for their tribes and also the university for research purposes. Every season they offer me some from these batches and i buy a whole allocation.

You will realize when you fumigate with these, that they are much softer and slightly herbal.

For those who wish to consumer them, you take a table spoon of crushed lubaan and soak it in water for 24hours, then drink it in the morning on an empty stomach 15minutes before meals, this is good for memory and anxiety.

For gums you can chew these through out the day.

There are many other applications and you can do a google search on some medical journals and the benefits of Omani Hojari Lubaan.
One of my favorite things to burn on a daily basis. I have to order more. I have finished the last batch almost.

Al Shareef Oudh

Master Perfumer
In 2021, I needed some Royal Hojari Luban oil for some fragrances I was composing, and I distilled this gem in June/July 2021. I utilised what I needed and then aged the rest to reach a beautiful smooth zesty, sparkling Luban oil. Absolutely beautiful.

You can see here some footage from the distillation.
Royal Luban
20210703_212429.jpg

This was the batch that I utilised.
We crush our Luban in water rather than dry crush, that way the trapped volatiles are captured in the water.
20210702_150437_1_1.gif

Then distilled for 8 hours only.

20210703_212737.jpg

After 8 hours distillation it was cured for 24 hours before being left to age for two years.

20210703_212907.jpg

This is the First times I am making Royal Luban available to the public. This is only to ouddicts for the first 24hrs. 2.5ml for $65 USD.

DM for yours.

William Birch

Oud Fanatic
I love frankincense it’s heavenly.

And interesting how many cultures have seen the beauty of this wonderful resin, Egyptians, Hebrews, Romans, and of course Arabs.

Quality and beauty can transcend divisions of all kinds.