Making an own oil blend/ mukhallat

Discussion in 'The Art of Traditional Perfumery' started by AbasFrag, Apr 8, 2017.

1. AbasFrag

AbasFrag Oud Burner

Salaam/ Hello everyone!

Do you have any blends you have done yourself and are proud of? Share it with us :)

I'm thinking about making something but I have no clue about how to begin or ratios or anything. Every advice is highly appticiated :D

Alkhadra and Mandeel AlMandeel like this.
  2. Pyrone

Pyrone Whats this Oud About?

Hi brother. I made an attachment I call Wild Thang! It goes like this. 0.5 ml.- sandalwood oil. 0.5 ml.- Taif rose. 0.5 ml.-. Rivae frankincrnse oil. 0.5 ml.- Golden ambergris tincture. 0.5 ml.- Castoreum tincture. 0.5 ml.- Civet tincture.

3. peter4ptv

peter4ptv Member

Waaaay to much rose will kill everything will smell like rose mostly.
    I have experiment it like 10 ml sandalwood 1 gram civet paste and few drops Bulgarian Rose Otto, if use more than few drops of the rose it smells like rose only. Rose oil is very strong.

4. Pyrone

You can use a modifier like violet leaf or heavily diluted galbanum. There is room for adjustment. U always start at 3 ml, and then when I am happy I scale up.

Mandeel AlMandeel and AbasFrag like this.
  5. AbasFrag

AbasFrag Oud Burner

This blend sounds like something that will make my nose dance hahaha :)

Mandeel AlMandeel likes this.
  6. Oudamberlove

Oudamberlove Member

What would you say is the dominating note of the Wild Thang?

7. Pyrone

At first the rose and at the dry down it is the civet.

8. Habz786

Habz786 Resident Artisan & Forum Co-Founder

what a name wild thang :D how has it developed over time? Any reason no Oud was used?

9. Pyrone

Molecularly distilled patchouli, a little hyraceum, a few drops of Jasmine grand absolute. The ladies love the indole!

10. Al Shareef Oudh

Al Shareef Oudh Resident Artisan

1i had missed this thread, it is a great idea for all members to try to blend, for two reason one you develop and uncover new skills and second you appreciate those who are professionals in this field. It is so easy to mess up a blend, and it can easily mean a few hundred dollars down the drain.

Peter mentioned you only need a few drops of rose otto in a toola for a blend, between 10-12 drops depending on the origin of the otto otherwise it will smell just like a rose otto the whole blend. Rose is a very interesting ingredient, it can behave like a headspace diffuser and attach itself to all rising compounds. To limit that small amounts must be used.

RisingPhoenix, Habz786 and AbasFrag like this.
  11. Pyrone

I agree. This has been my real first opportunity to really exchange knowledge with a member of the forum. I like this. I will also be more careful with my rose oil in the future.

12. peter4ptv

peter4ptv Member

Live and learn, I also the first when used rose oil use 0.5 ml with 3 ml. Sandalwood and just was keep adding because with even over 20 ml. Of sandalwood as I end it up in the mix the smell was pure rose only.
    After Al Shareef expleaned to me a while back to use only a few drops of rose Otto per 10 ml of sandalwood now I know how strong is the rose compare to any other oils.
    I have try it also with cambodi oud, and for 3 ml. Oud you donth need more than 3 or 4 drops at max, 5 and is too many.

Mandeel AlMandeel and AbasFrag like this.
  13. peter4ptv

peter4ptv Member

3 ml. Of Rose Otto can last you for a very long time to experiment with blends, very powerful stuff.
    The most I enjoyed the smell is like 1 drop in 3 ml. Of sandalwood oil. It makes the smell nice like you are actually smelling a rose flower in the garden.
    The rose oil itself smells completely different than smelling the actual rose in a garden.
    Also the absolute smell very different from the Otto.

14. peter4ptv

peter4ptv Member

Oh, and all my experiments are with Bulgarian rose damascena, as I remembered before Al Shareef explained different type of roses grown in different climate can smell very different.
    I have never smell any other type rose

15. Pyrone

I love Bulgarian, but Taif is very precious to me as well. When I can't sleep I use two drops of Taif rose on my pillow and it works. Fragrance is a huge part of my everyday life. It calms me, relaxes me, and allows me to think more clearly.

16. Pyrone

I would also like some advice on creating a Rhyann attar. I know that holy basil oil is used, but I don't know what other ingredients are to be combined. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Kindest Regards.

17. Ashfaque

Ashfaque Analogue Oud

I like rose+oud+sandalwood combo very much. Stays very long with the rose comes and goes like magic.

At the moment I'm using one that has 3:5:5 proportion of Bangladeshi sandalwood, Turkish rose otto and Bangladeshi oud. This is seriously potent. A little dab on my skin lasts at least 8 hours in humid weather of Dhaka. In the A/C it lasts lot longer, let alone on clothes.

Having said that, I prefer the one with Taifi rose. It is much more complex. But I ran out of it. But my school friend will, Insha'Allah, bring some for me on his return from Hajj. Can't wait as he already bought 6ml. Alhamdulillah.

I think if I let my khaltat age a bit it will be even better. But I need to work on my sabr in that area. :D

Now i need to find some genuine ambergris and musk!

18. Jimmie Taylor

Jimmie Taylor Doude

what is a/c in this case?
    anyway good luck with ur projects

19. Ashfaque

Ashfaque Analogue Oud

Thanks.... A/C = Air conditioner

20. riviera274

riviera274 Administrator and Hindi Lover Staff Member

Mysore/ambergris manceration going on 5 months.Took my first swipe of each and Im starting to pick up the ambergris in the drydown,I think this will work great for me in the summer. 1506617764962556688820.jpg

Aleata, Ashfaque, halim and 4 others like this.

Promote Oud!