Mumtaz Oudh Malaysia

Discussion in 'General' started by Antani2, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Antani2

Antani2 Whats this Oud About?

Hi friends,
    a friend of mine is in Qatar and I asked him to buy for me some oud.
    One of the choices is this oud from Malaysia, do you have any experience with this kind of oud?
    the price is 12,4 QAR (3,40 USD) per gram.
    Is this a good deal?
    Is the quality of Malaysian oud good?

[​IMG]

2. Andrew Salkin

Andrew Salkin it's aboud time!

Not being able to see a cross section cut of some of those bigger pieces, I'd be a little hesitant. Also - my first wood buying experience was buying from a place that also sold cheap attars and oils and didn't have their wood very well kept. The wood I bought ended up smelling like the shop they came from and not the wood itself. IDK - I'm new to all this, but I wouldn't buy that wood from those photos.....It looks suspiciously dark and I feel like it's been sitting there for a LONG time.

3. Muhammed Afthab

Muhammed Afthab Whats this Oud About?

To.me it looks like a polished wood.
    3usd for tola seems too good to be true for a reseller.

Did you ask your friend to burn and see?.

4. Antani2

He said it didn't have lot of scent, so I bought this.
    He burnt it and said it was super. It is even cheaper

[​IMG]

I am very curious to burn those big pieces

5. Sproaty

Sproaty Sproudy Staff Member

hmm, I dunno. Looks like big solid pieces, would expect smaller pieces chip size. Also, "made in Indonesia" - but may be a language thing.

AbuTominaga likes this.
  6. Mr.P

Mr.P Evoloudtionary Bioudlogist

Doesn’t really look much like oud, does it? It looks kind of engineered - like it was tumbled in a machine or something? Maybe this is like the black magic wood - plain wood treated with fragrance.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
    AbuTominaga likes this.
  7. Andrew Salkin

Seen wood like this once before at Misk Shoppe in Dayton, NJ.... It was weird.

Kabir Attars likes this.
  8. Antani2

next monday I will receive it and I will tell you :)
    my friend said that the smell was great!

9. Andrew Salkin

Please do! We'd love to see a video of it on a coal or a sliver on a subitism if you have a phone with a camera you can share with us? Out of curiosity, why not just purchase wood from either a vendor here or someone online with readable reviews? It might be a better bet - that way you can be certain you are getting real oud.

Given the price range you appear to want to stay within, I'd recommend checking out https://www.aromasublime.com/pricelist - Tony Bolton has some cultivated wood selling for 3.5/gram. I've tried some of it and it's certainly oud. The collective wisdom of people on this forum is vast - and I think the consensus (unfortunately), is that the photos you've sent aren't of agarwood - or if they are, it's been heavily processed or altered. Could be soaked in essential oils/chemicals. Probably a better bet to buy from a reputable vendor - even if it costs a little more, "half the loaf, is better than no loaf at all."

TDK, Joyoud and Rai Munir like this.
  10. Rai Munir

Rai Munir Musk Man

The wood CUBES in the above pic are quite interesting. Sanai wood? Most probably. Respected Habz or respected Alkhdra's post would definitely be highly appreciated.

Good scent is not the criterion of its being pure. Synthetic oils appear to be much pleasing before getting addicted to pure oils. Here all the members are experienced enough and are well aware of the market, especially about from whom to buy and whom not to buy. There's no need to step on grass when granite is there.

11. Joyoud

Joyoud Whats this Oud About?

Years ago when I started this (very expensive journey) I spent about 1500 USD on Oud Wood from Abdul Samad Al qurashi onlin ,
    And I still have some of it, it’s looked exactly like the first photo above but smaller and my father in law bought me some during Hajj as well and looks exactly like the second photo, both are stained wood with synthetic oils and I felt so mad that I spent all this money for fire wood.
    Again it’s a very expensive journey, till I learn I ended with Load of money lost between fake woods and fake oils !
    I don’t want to put you down but there’s no way that this is Oud Wood (specially the cubs) .
    Good luck my friend.

Rai Munir likes this.
  12. F4R1d0uX

F4R1d0uX Resident Artisan

Ciao claro fratello,
    This wood looks like waxed aquilaria filaria from Papua/New Guinea.

Indonesian arab market warehouse holders call it sana'i.
    The seller who sells it doesn't really know that it's waxed.

Sometime it can be done with agarwood resin, sometimes nope ...
    But basically it's bunk wood "polished" with oud resin (in the best case...).

I don't know if you get a nice price or what but won't give you a correct appreciation of what oud is ...

If you don't like the smell, please don't conclude that oud wood is not for you.

If you liked it then per que no ?

Joyoud, Rai Munir and Sproaty like this.
  13. Habz786

Habz786 Resident Artisan & Forum Co-Founder

14. Alkhadra

Alkhadra "Master Kafeel" Resident Artisan

Take your money and run. There's good reason why many children in the gulf suffer from respiratory problems. It's the synthetic concoctions that are poured over each other and labelled oud. What's even worse is if you've seen the people who make this stuff. They hardly care what they're doing and it's your health that's at risk.

The first photo isn't obvious, but the second one gives it away big time.

Lastly, and this can be applied to most things in life, if it's too good to be true, then it definitely isn't true.

My kindest regards!

Sayed Harris, Ouddict, Joyoud and 2 others like this.
  15. F4R1d0uX

F4R1d0uX Resident Artisan

Sorry brother @Rai Munir i haven't red, big chance you are right.
    Can be only waxed or sana'i.
    If he cuts it and heat some we will be able to confirm

Joyoud likes this.
  16. Ouddict

Ouddict Forum Co-Founder & Tech Support

Looks like pebbles to me... if you really want to burn them, make sure you wear a gas mask or similar respiratory protection equipment :eek:

17. Sayed Harris

Sayed Harris Whats this Oud About?

Well observed Mr. Rai Munir,

These are infact 'Sana`i Wood'. They are manufactured.
    Dipped, boiled and tumbled, even these have certain quality associated to it. Usually these are from agarwood itself but not the "OUD" quality. They use the white part of the agarwood tree for these. Pretty famous with certain Arab countries like Qatar and KSA. It is usually prepared with synthetics, hence the cheap price tag. They are bought in quantities for those who burn them every other day. If the intent is to preserve them then DON'T. Whatever fragrance that is used on it will eventually just disappear with time and not very long.

SH

Uday Lalan and Rai Munir like this.
  18. Imran S

Imran S Whats this Oud About?

Here is a picture of top quality Malaysian near sinking which costs about $200 per 10 grams

[​IMG]

19. Edward jay Bullock

Edward jay Bullock True Ouddict

That is nice looking

Imran S likes this.
  20. Imran S

Imran S Whats this Oud About?

Thanks
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Promote Oud!