Musk Sandal Maceration Colour

Discussion in 'Musk' started by Asim Aziz, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Asim Aziz

Asim Aziz Just Arrived

IMG_20190103_011736.jpg
    Hello guys.
    Just a curiosity regarding musk maceration in sandalwood.
    I just started a maceration today.
    Siberian grains approx 0.4g
    IO 2014 sandal about 2.5-3g
    The musk grains i received were about 0.6g out of which i decided not to use the skin(membrane) bout some fine hair are still in there.
    The maceration has gone quite dark on the first day which i was not expecting.
    The raw grains had no fecal/ammonia smell.
    The only smell was a faint morning breath/used dental floss smell.
    No heating (just vigorous shaking).
    Btw the glass bottle is completely clear (not amber).
    Any ideas?

NinjaRobb and Chip Burns like this.
  2. Zahir

Zahir Guest

Let it settle and then check.

3. Asim Aziz

Asim Aziz Just Arrived

It was sitting on that table for few hours before i took the picture. Earlier it was full of suspended particles because of shaking.

Chip Burns likes this.
  4. Zahir

Zahir Guest

I would suggest to wait for them to settle entirely at the bottom. They should settle all the way at the very bottom nicely. From what I have been told, musk in sandal alone should not cause the sandal to become black/very dark. Sandal will darken for sure but still be a little transparent.

5. Joe King

Joe King AttitOud

Is your question about the colour or the smell of the musk grains?:confused:
    The colour looks ok to me:Thumbsup:, but I would think that raw musk should have a stronger than faint smell :rolleyes:(have no idea or desire to know what your morning breath smells like:Cautious:):D

6. Asim Aziz

Asim Aziz Just Arrived

Both colour and smell.
    Its only a day old so the maceration doesnt have any other smell except sandalwood.
    The grains not having a strong smell was a bit unexpected to say the least. Maybe drier than usual?

7. Joe King

Joe King AttitOud

I guess it is possible that they may be drier and that may reduce the smell, my experience with musk is limited, both times I have acquired raw musk it has been a bit moist and the aroma fills a room easily. I wouldn't expect a strong aroma once you have put it in sandalwood until it has had time to macerate.

Ashfaque and Hamza H like this.
  8. riviera274

riviera274 Administrator and Hindi Lover Staff Member

15467124373866288063590383231372.jpg From my very limited knowledge the fresher the grains the darker the manceration.
    From left to right...1/sandal original color.2/fresh Siberian grains manceration only about a week old.3/dry Tibetan grains manceration 3 months old.

Ashfaque, Sproaty and Joe King like this.
  9. Zahir

Zahir Guest

Do you wait for the ammonia smell to disappear before macerating fresh grains or just throw them in regardless? :D

10. riviera274

riviera274 Administrator and Hindi Lover Staff Member

Well I have only opened 2 pods,1 was collected 2 years before i opened it and the other only 4 to 5 months.The dry grains had no trace of ammonia at all but still very strong and the other i had to open in the garage,it was intense!I let the grains that I decided was going to be mancerated dry for a couple days before adding to the sandal.Still the grains had a strong ammonia smell,the rest i put in a airtight container.I also had sourced some semi dry grains from a friend about a year ago and the grains had an ammonia smell so i would think that the ammonia scent will be there until grains are dry.

Ashfaque and Joe King like this.
  11. Asim Aziz

Asim Aziz Just Arrived

Mine didn't have any ammonia smell at all.
    Granted they ware only about 0.5g but still had to posh my nose right in to get any smell

12. Oudh Aroma

Oudh Aroma Just Arrived

First of all, who did you buy it from? Was it someone reliable or someone random?
    Secondly, you only put 5% of deer musk in the sandalwood oil. In my experience the colour will not change overnight it will take at least four weeks. Thirdly regarding the smell, my experience is that I bought two deer musk pots eight years ago and left them in a plastic bag for a day or two and the bag still has a musk smell after eight years. The smell of musk is quite strong and you don’t need to put your nose into it to smell it. According to my experience without looking at the product I can’t say whether it is true or not. By what your telling me it sounds like it’s not real but I can’t say definitely without looking at it.

13. Asim Aziz

Asim Aziz Just Arrived

Bought it from Ninjarobb.
    Its about 0.45g in about 2.75g sandal so 16.5%.
    The raw grains not having much smell threw me a bit. Not having smelled any grains before i didnt have any reference apart from an expectation that there will be a bit of ammonia smell mixed with some fecal rotting meat smell.

Hamza H likes this.
  14. Oudamberlove

Oudamberlove Member

One year old macerations:

Just look at that color:eek:

CE96D128-EB7D-4DFD-A81B-234A3B1664BF.jpeg

Left, Kashmiri
    Right, Siberian

Ali Sandalwood oil

15. NinjaRobb

NinjaRobb Official Trader and Expert Siberian Musk

Looks cool :Thumbsup:

Oudamberlove likes this.
  16. Sofmusc

Sofmusc Just Arrived

And what does it smell like?

Last edited: May 10, 2019
    Oudamberlove likes this.
  17. Martin

Martin Oud Novice

What are you fellows using to filter the macerations? Is there a small strainer for this purpose?

Oudamberlove likes this.
  18. Oudamberlove

Oudamberlove Member

@Sofmusc
    The Kashmiri Maceration smells like sandalwood oil, chocolate, whipping cream, and deer-muskiness.
    The Siberian Maceration smells like sandalwood oil, apples, tobacco, and deer-muskiness.

The notes are not that clear, I am just making my best guesstimation. There are many nuances that are difficult to explain. The best way to learn about the scent of musk is to try it.

@Martin
    I do not filter my musks.
    But I do remove the hairs with a tweezer:)

19. Mr.P

Mr.P Oud Fan

I’ve never been really crazy about musk in sandalwood oil, especially santalum album. Sandalwood is like a big heavy blanket - in my experiments it kind of damped down all the intriguing and scintillating notes in the musk. I can’t understand why people extract musk in sandalwood - it seems to bring out the worst of both. Maybe my ratios are off? Strangely, I find santalum spicatum layered with musk to be more appealing.

Joe King, Sproaty and Oudamberlove like this.
  20. Oudamberlove

Oudamberlove Member

Or maybe an odorless oil would be better, but,
    part of the scent of the Raw Musk Grains is lost during maceration, therefore you’re layering technique sounds like a real winner:Thumbsup:

Promote Oud!