1. Please excuse us while we carrying out important changes to the forum.

Musks in Blends

Discussion in 'Musk' started by AbasFrag, Dec 5, 2016.

1. AbasFrag

AbasFrag Oud Burner

Hi!

I'm wondering: for how long can one store a musk oil where sandalwood oil is used as a carrier? :)

2. Habz786

Habz786 Resident Artisan & Forum Co-Founder

Do you mean Musk grains in sandalwood?

AbasFrag likes this.
  3. AbasFrag

AbasFrag Oud Burner

Yes exactly! :)

4. Habz786

As far as im aware the longer the grains are left to soak in the sandalwood the better! Im sure others with more experience can elaborate

AbasFrag likes this.
  5. AbasFrag

AbasFrag Oud Burner

Sounds fantastic :) :)
    Thank you for your answer brother @Habz786

6. Habz786

How long would musk need to be infused in say sandalwood before both merry together? Does it depend on the musk, is certain musk more potent or possess different characteristics to others?

AbasFrag likes this.
  7. Faizal_p

Faizal_p Resident Artisan

after conducting a few experiments ourselves 6months to a year is the minimum. Rose seems to work better as i think its a more volatile liquid compared to sandalwood oil.
    The original oil according to islamic tradition was ben oil (moringa), we have prepared our mukhallats with sandalwood.

8. Habz786

How does this Moringga smell is it available? do you know why this isnt used if its whats closer to the tradition?

Mandeel AlMandeel and AbasFrag like this.
  9. Faizal_p

Faizal_p Resident Artisan

Having researched this subject in detail before we produced our Emperor oil, the original texts available showed that moringa was first of all common, cheap and most importantly odourless. it allowed one to capture only the scent of musk. We have plans to do this as well in the recent future, we used sandalwood instead as this would add another dimension to the oil.
    Pure musk for those who havent smelt it can be a little... difficult. Not everyone can smell it and instantly enjoy it, the sheer animalic pungency can be extremely overpowering. When we were preparing the solid Galiyah perfume (to be released soon) i was working with musk and ambergris for quite long chunks of time, after a while i had to go outside and take in fresh air as the musk ambergris combo really knocked me out!

10. AbasFrag

AbasFrag Oud Burner

Today I tried Imperial Oud musk bil mysore and mysuru ambur. .....

Amazing... I thought they would smell very animalic/ pungent strong... but to my surprise they are mild and I cant see that anyone would dislike them. So natural spicy smelling subhanAllah. Both of the raw materials blends so good with the mysore and they becomes like a full fragrance

Mandeel AlMandeel likes this.
  11. Now I have one tola of taifi rose with kashmiri musk sleeping in my locker , also now I have raw 2g Chinese musk but I need some suggestions about mixing with what anyone can give me advice ? Thanks

12. AbasFrag

AbasFrag Oud Burner

Masha'Allah :eek:
    I'm sure the mix of taifi rose and kashmiri musk will smell fantastic Insha'Allah

13. indeed , I will mix it after aged well with some hindi oils and maybe laos oud inshallah ! :)

Atif Ahmad and AbasFrag like this.
  14. Habz786

Which musk is the rarest and most sort after? Are there any musk experts on the forum ;)

15. Tibetan...

16. Abdullah

Abdullah Junior Member

Kashmiri?

17. Oudamberlove

Oudamberlove Member

I want some Tibetan and Kashmiri, made some inquiries to no avail, so I scored some more of the Siberian stuff, and took a chance with some Chinese, still waiting for the Chinese to arrive, I hope it's real musk.

18. Oud_learner

Oud_learner Junior Member

Hmm I always thought the Kashmiri is the rarest due to the small threaten habitat of the deer.

Then again is there any difference in the scent profile between the different regions? Someone told me once that the scent profile of the musk is dependent on the animal diet, rather than specific region.

19. Oudamberlove

Oudamberlove Member

My Chinese musk arrived today:)
    It is definitely different from the Siberian, I can't say it's better, although I'm tempted to say it is. Very nice aroma, just sent for more.
    Under 10x magnification, both have the same color with similar textures, although the Chinese musk has more tiny spherical shapes.
    I'll use a very sweet smelling sandalwood for it to bathe in. I won't even macerate it, just drop in a few grains;)

20. Kashmiri is rare yes , also Tibetan I don't think you can find it this days ...

Atif Ahmad likes this.

Promote Oud!