F4R1d0uX

Resident Artisan
You mean ambergris right? Amber is something entirely different (fossilised tree resin).

In natural perfumery this is not that common. People think directly of ambergris.

Anyway if someone loves smoky smell, I really encourage you to find some fossilized amber to smell it's soooo niiiiiice :X3:.

Just received more Siberian Musk from Andrei. I requested the fresh grains. It took about a month to get here( California) which is about as usual.
One thing I noticed is that there are always different nuances in the aroma between different batches. I guess there are many factors involved, from the Deer's Species, Region, Diet, Harvest, Drying, etc.

Sometimes when I smell the raw grains I feel like an ANIMAL:Roflmao::Roflmao::Roflmao:

F4R1d0uX

Resident Artisan
Just received more Siberian Musk from Andrei. I requested the fresh grains. It took about a month to get here( California) which is about as usual.
One thing I noticed is that there are always different nuances in the aroma between different batches. I guess there are many factors involved, from the Deer's Species, Region, Diet, Harvest, Drying, etc.

Sometimes when I smell the raw grains I feel like an ANIMAL:Roflmao::Roflmao::Roflmao:

You are right Curt !
Jawed told me (since I'm newbie with musk and just bought 10gr recently for the perfume I promised here) that even the way grains are stored can affect !

IMG_2688.JPG
How was the potentcy? Was it dry and clean? Please review it for me with photos if possible. Thank you.
Photo in direct sunlight
This batch looks processed/cleaned, the other 3 weren't as processed. Judging by the colors, it's a mixture from different pods. I requested fresh and moist, so yes it will lose weight eventually. The strength of fresher grains is different from expertly dried grains, and the Kashmiri is definitely stronger than the Siberian, but I love the Siberian as much as the Kashmiri. So far from what I tried, I like the Kashmiri the most, but it's $$$, it has the more,...dare I say....Arabian flavor. But the Tobacco note I get in the fresh Siberian is sooooooper!!

F4R1d0uX

Resident Artisan
View attachment 838
Photo in direct sunlight
This batch looks processed/cleaned, the other 3 weren't as processed. Judging by the colors, it's a mixture from different pods. I requested fresh and moist, so yes it will lose weight eventually. The strength of fresher grains is different from expertly dried grains, and the Kashmiri is definitely stronger than the Siberian, but I love the Siberian as much as the Kashmiri. So far from what I tried, I like the Kashmiri the most, but it's $$$, it has the more,...dare I say....Arabian flavor. But the Tobacco note I get in the fresh Siberian is sooooooper!!

I agree with you I mean this profile (sweet animal skin, chocolatey blond tobacco) is what I was looking for too.

How much concentration will you use ? (Maceration tincture ?)

View attachment 838
Photo in direct sunlight

Mashallah look clean and nice quality congratulations...

Pyrone

Oud Beginner
A few weeks ago I obtained some premium ambergris from JK at Rising Phoenix. I got two different varieties. The first was black ambergris, which most of you know to be musky, fecal, and an effective fixative in spite of it's immaturity. The other was from the Bahamas, and it was a beautiful silver, slightly floral, and animalic specimen. This one was obviously in the ocean for a reasonable period of time. JK not only has a variety of ambergris available, he also sources some of the finest agarwood and sandalwood I have ever seen. I highly recommend this shop. Kindest Regards.

Warm day today in California.
Took a sniff from the Jar of my latest batch of Siberian Musk, BAMM!!!!!, I got hit with a nice strong aroma and some ammonia. That tells me it's coming along just fine:X3:
A sniff from the Kashmiri, and it shares a note with the Tibet grains. Unfortunately I did not set aside any raw Tibet grains, all of it went into a tincture that I am slowly building on. I call it "Pheromone Foursome", so far... Siberian and Tibet Musk, Castoreum (Siberian), Civet, and Marine Note Ambergris :rolleyes:

F4R1d0uX

Resident Artisan
Warm day today in California.
Took a sniff from the Jar of my latest batch of Siberian Musk, BAMM!!!!!, I got hit with a nice strong aroma and some ammonia. That tells me it's coming along just fine:X3:
A sniff from the Kashmiri, and it shares a note with the Tibet grains. Unfortunately I did not set aside any raw Tibet grains, all of it went into a tincture that I am slowly building on. I call it "Pheromone Foursome", so far... Siberian and Tibet Musk, Castoreum (Siberian), Civet, and Marine Note Ambergris :rolleyes:

Boom :Ninja::Roflmao:
Good job bro :Thumbsup:

Markus

Oud Beginner
Does anybody know anything about the authenticity and, if so, the content of ambergris in Agarscents' attars? Also, he's selling aged Mysore sandalwood oil for roughly 60 usd. Any experience?

J

Jimmie Taylor

If anyone wants to buy hyraceum tincture 30%, over 3 years aged from africa, i have some left.
Its smells like a mix of tobacco, oud, civet and castoreum.

J

Jimmie Taylor

I bought a very nice piece of white ambergris from scotland (5g).
I macerate it in 97 % ethanol (96% pure).
It's maturing for like one and a half year
Is it normal that the grinded ambergris gets very sticky while maceration?
How to filter it out?

RisingPhoenix

Resident Artisan
I bought a very nice piece of white ambergris from scotland (5g).
I macerate it in 97 % ethanol (96% pure).
It's maturing for like one and a half year
Is it normal that the grinded ambergris gets very sticky while maceration?
How to filter it out?

From what you wrote - this would be a Tincture and not a maceration.

What concentration / ratio of Ambergris to Alcohol did you use?

When tincturing raw material - there will always be some sediment. Shouldn't be sticky, though - which is why I ask about the ratio of alcohol to Ambergris that you used?

J

Jimmie Taylor

Hello,

it smells like other ambergris tinctures that i had before ( i had two from pellwall.com ).
I used 3 % Ambergris and 97 percent alcohol (which is 96 percent pure).
When a few drops dropped on the floor/flagging, it was very sticky and hard to get off.
I have not tried it on my skin.
How to filter the sediments?
Should i shake the bottle before i decant?

RisingPhoenix

Resident Artisan
Hmmm...

An Ambergris Tincture shouldn't be sticky - especially not at a low concentration like 3%

Do you have a photo of the Ambergris you have before you tinctured it? I am assuming if you tinctured all 5g of it @3%, that means you made roughly 170mL of Tincture?

I would not shake before filtering.

An easy way to filter - use an Unbleached coffee filter. Before filtering, stick your bottle in the freezer for 2 days (helps to precipitate out solids). You can add a pinch of diatomaceous earth before freezing, as well, if you need it crystal clear.

I'm still a little confused on why your Tincture is sticky. If you have photos of the raw material you tinctured, would be helpful.

J

Jimmie Taylor

I don't have photos anymore.
I shaked it before some drops went on the floor.
But I will filter it like you described ( without the earth ) and test it on the skin.
Thanks for help