1. Please excuse us while we carrying out important changes to the forum.

Oils That Smell Way Differently In A Sample Then Fb

Discussion in 'General' started by Bigboy, May 21, 2020.

1. Bigboy

Bigboy True Ouddict

Every once in a while i am remined the more i know about oud oil and the distillation process the less i really know which only pushs me to want to learn more!

I've heard from time to time of someone lamenting how they loved a sample but did not care for the smell once they got the full bottle. I thought they were just being ...well difficult and just had buyers remorse because in all my years involved in this industry I have NEVER experienced this:

I recently received a full bottle after loving the samples and was like "wtf is this??" Now I trust this person as much as one person can trust another so I have no doubt it is what it's supposed to be but it just seems so much weaker. I know how much oxidation can alter the smell of an oil to make it flat or smoother , but i have NEVER had a full bottle smell LESS potent nor missing the intensity of the top notes that I loved in the sample.
    Both were from the vendor (who I will not name because this is to no fault of their own and therefore refuse to say something that could negatively effect them when they don't deserve it).

Anyway...anyone else ever get a full bottle that smells weaker then the sample ? Only thing I could think was that as excess water evaporated the oil became more cured and this more concentrated as the oils aromatic properties became denser . This is a relatively fresh oil so im thinking in that scenario where my sample was exposed to greater oxidation then what I received that happened.

Oudamberlove, AbuTominaga and EJayB like this.
  2. Oudamberlove

Oudamberlove Member

I have a theory about young oils.

They contain many dancing molecules,
    which in turn affects how I perceive them,
    thanks to a variety of olfactory fatigue,
    resulting in weaker scents.....,
    vanishing scents......,
    notes masking other notes,
    and note mutation.

I believe that the present condition
    of my senses, and the weather,
    greatly influence the effect.

TDK, Bigboy and punmaster like this.
  3. Bigboy

Bigboy True Ouddict

Awesome introspection @OAL

Oudamberlove likes this.
  4. Shimon of Brixton

Shimon of Brixton Whats this Oud About?

One issue I had an I brought this up with Sultan Pasha is the oil testers are provided with such little oil you never really see encapsulated by the smell.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Oudamberlove likes this.

Promote Oud!