Oud Ard (earth) - Merauke

Discussion in 'Habzoud' started by Habz786, Jun 23, 2018.

1. Habz786

Habz786 Resident Artisan & Forum Co-Founder

What you have here is an oil for lovers who like Meruakes done right. The smoothest sweetest earthy filaria notes infused into a liquid. The oil has been aged 3 years which has matured it into a beautiful rounded elegant Oud. Notes of sweet clay, oak moss, raw resin, slightly spicy, gentle smoke with a long lasting punch. If you like clean filaria oils this one is for you. The price of the oil is 125$ shipped worldwide, PM for more info or purchase.

forces-of-nature-drought-rain-earth-clouds-cracks-hope-dark-wallpaper-flowers-live.jpg

tyson, AbuTominaga and Joe King like this.
  2. Tayib

Tayib Guest

MashAllah! The sweetest Merauken oud I've tried to date. Clean earthy nuances . This one is sure to fill your sinuses and creep into your brain with narcotic like effects. I literally zoned out for a few seconds after smelling this one( which is a 1st for me!) . Not to mention the packaging this one came in. You can tell Habz went all out here. High quality cardboard box with a solid logo in the middle I wouldn't mind using as a show-piece . Velvet bag that's at least worth more than a couple of dollars. All in all Great quality oud and great quality packaging ! Barakallahu fik!

Attached Files:

Uday Lalan, sami, jalil and 5 others like this.
  3. Habz786

@Tayib thank you for the review and kind words, the packaging took a while to get right as there are so many options. I wanted the packaging to meet the quality of oils and finally got there, the only thing missing now is a website! Will be offering 10% off Ard this week drop me a PM if interested.

4. Ashfaque

Ashfaque Analogue Oud

Pleasant Filaria

This yellow, rather ordinary looking oil, distilled from wild Aquilaria filaria is my first experience with Merauke oils. What a great introduction!

It starts off with an intensely minty/mentholic smell, coupled with a note of royal vetiver (north Indian vetiver eo, aka ruh khas). I know how non-IFRA compliant oakmoss absolute smells like. But have no idea how oakmoss smells like (which is mentioned in the product description). However, this oil has a green, and camphorous/incensy smell at the top that is quite similar to the non-IFRA oakmoss abs I have. Both are outstanding.

The hay note is just sumptuous - similar to a freshly dried hays – more specifically, hays from Bangladesh – never too strong. There is also a hint of herbaceous note that settles down quite quickly – something akin to middle and end notes of clary sage – i.e., green tea. I then get a honey note, that smells somewhere in between lavender honey absolute and beeswax absolute from France. However, it is trivial since I only get it for less than a second before getting the whiff of hay and even then the honey is not always apparent. So I’m not sure - perhaps my olfactive is playing tricks with me!

The petrichor/earth note starts off with a relatively stronger intensity, which is a rare thing. If you have smelled 100% natural petrichor attar (aka, gili mitti, made with sandalwood base), you will know that they are always soft. Think of this smell’s intensity in terms of double cream as opposed to the single cream. I also get a bit of mimosa/violet leaf type smell somewhere in there!

As the green, menthol and the earthy note settles down, the woody note reveals itself. Imagine walking through a woodsy trail in a thick forest, full of very old fallen trees in a windy afternoon, just after a rain. I also get whisps of cardamom and probably clove. At the dry down, when incense takes over I also get a citrus smell, probably the 3rd oud (after Manek II and Aagaz from AgarwoodAssam). There is also ambrette seed absolute (read musky).

The hay, petrichor, wood, menthol/mint notes interplay at various degrees throughout – especially as soon as the top note settles down. Thus making a very fresh smelling incense note till the end. In general, it is very dry, but in a pleasant way. IMO, the menthol/mint, and woody notes compliment and intensify the incense note in this oud. So I speculate that it will probably go very well in an oud mukhallat, suitable for warmer weather, albeit surprisingly. However, this is excellent oud that I would happily wear as it is!

Longevity: Ard lasts about 9-10 hours on my skin. It's quite warm now in UK. I wore it during a temperature range of 25-30 C. It becomes a skin scent between 6&7th hour. Can you imagine this beauty in cooler temperature - especially below 20!

Last Updated: 27 July, 2018​

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
  5. hassam mac

hassam mac True Ouddict

Giving such detailed and choosing of words and reviewing an oud oil or wood is an art imo,which many brothers here do perfectly

Sent from my HTC Desire 626 dual sim using Tapatalk

Souhayl, Joe King, Habz786 and 2 others like this.
  6. Habz786

@Ashfaque wow i havent read a oil review like this in a while! Thank you for taking your time to write this. I will study the oil using your notes as a reference to pick out the notes and try and reference them. I could never write descriptions like this and had asked @Ammar if he would help write descriptions for my oils, but he gave wise advice to stick to my own style (which i find rather bland). I love Mitti attar and Ruh khus and can totaly see this oils connection to them, expressing notes is a gift which i think you have thanks :handok:

KHH, Arsalan, Joe King and 1 other person like this.
  7. Ashfaque

Ashfaque Analogue Oud

@Habz786 You're welcome brother. I like your short & sharp description though.

I have almost no knowledge about classic French perfumery or synthetics. However, ever since I started buying single oils (all of them being 100% natural), I try to write as much details of each oil as possible. I also enjoy breaking down as many notes as possible. Both are quite useful when I make my own odd little blends - especially when I forget certain things. I even made some graphs for some oils to see how they differ from each other over time! So essentially, my impression is a spillover effect! :Laugh:

I will get back to it later with the longevity thing and if I can detect more similarities. But I'm glad you liked it as it is. :)

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
    Rai Munir, KHH and Habz786 like this.
  8. Habz786

Sold out :thumbsup: thanks to all those who got a vial(s)

Chipkill, Bryan-I and Joe King like this.

Promote Oud!