Al Shareef Oudh

Master Perfumer
I know from our tradition that Oudh positively influences the mind, whether in meditation or studying text. In our tradition Oudh has been present in gatherings of learning, noted that it "clears the mind and helps one focus". The Japanese also have similar historical references to the scent of Oudh and other incenses having positive influences on the mind and soul.

To the scientists on this forum what chemicals in Oudh has the ability to "clear the mind and help it focus"?

Okay, I have no idea what chemicals in Oudh help clear the mind and improve focus, but I would like to state a personal observation.
When I do a lot of reading and contemplating, burning agarwood (high quality incense sticks) is by my side, I do feel the help.
But not with Oudh(agarwood oil), the oil helps more for relaxation, centering/grounding, and if sniffed too much, often leaves me stupified.
I often wonder if sniffing Oudh oil is similar to sniffing glue, that's why we get addicted :confused:
(I'm certain that's not the case, but the thought had crossed my mind)

Kc3dl

Okay, I have no idea what chemicals in Oudh help clear the mind and improve focus, but I would like to state a personal observation.
When I do a lot of reading and contemplating, burning agarwood (high quality incense sticks) is by my side, I do feel the help.
But not with Oudh(agarwood oil), the oil helps more for relaxation, centering/grounding, and if sniffed too much, often leaves me stupified.
I often wonder if sniffing Oudh oil is similar to sniffing glue, that's why we get addicted :confused:
(I'm certain that's not the case, but the thought had crossed my mind)

You bring up an interesting point... This is something that I have also noticed in my own experiences with these two modes of agarwood aroma intake: scent release through heating actual material is notably grounding, while oil application can be, at times, like a brief peek into a Lewis Carroll chapter. It's almost as if the former is tied closer to serotonin release, while the latter to dopamine. I've often wondered if there's any validity to this...
Anyone know?

GLTASN

I found this online the other day and it makes me want to know more, not oud but kinda on subject. http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/next/body/skin-can-smell/

When Your Skin Smells Sandalwood Oil, It Heals Itself
Your nose isn’t the only part of your body capable of taking a whiff.

In the past decade, scientists have discovered olfactory receptors lingering in strange places—in sperm, in the spine, and even in the kidneys. Now researchers in Hanns Hatt’s lab at Germany’s Ruhr University Bochum have identified scent receptors somewhere much more accessible: the skin. What’s more, these receptors appear to be involved in healing.

sandalwood-oil.jpg

Sandalore, a synthetic sandalwood oil, binds to an olfactory receptor in the skin, prompting the healing process.
Here’s Bob Roeher, writing for New Scientist:

They found that Sandalore—a synthetic sandalwood oil used in aromatherapy, perfumes and skin care products—bound to an olfactory receptor in skin called OR2AT4. Rather than sending a message to the brain, as nose receptors do, the receptor triggered cells to divide and migrate, important processes in repairing damaged skin.

Cell proliferation increased by 32 per cent and cell migration by nearly half when keratinocytes [skin cells] in a test tube and in culture were mixed for five days with Sandalore.

In other words, your skin has the ability to smell, just not in the way we normally think of. Instead, certain odorants target “smelling” receptors in the skin, which prompt the healing process. Of course, just as one nose is different from another, so are the scent receptors in our skin. One person’s genetics might predispose them to greater olfactory sensitivity than another’s.

This discovery is another example of our skin’s unexpected abilities. This week, NOVA Next contributor Sujata Gupta reported on the skin’s ability to “hear” sound. And new findings about our sense of touch, too, have illuminated a possible sensory-social dimension of autism. In the future, we might see a growing number of treatments channeled through the skin, whether they are topical solutions or otherwise.

RobertOne

Oud Beginner
My money is on the Eudesmol fractions of Oud.

Below is an abstract of the study of just one of the compounds contained within.

alpha-eudesmol, a P/Q-type Ca(2+) channel blocker, inhibits neurogenic vasodilation and extravasation following electrical stimulation of trigeminal ganglion.

Asakura K1, Kanemasa T, Minagawa K, Kagawa K, Yagami T, Nakajima M, Ninomiya M.
Author information
Abstract

In this study, we investigated the effect of alpha-eudesmol, which potently inhibits the presynaptic omega-agatoxin IVA-sensitive (P/Q-type) Ca(2+) channel, on neurogenic inflammation following electrical stimulation of rat trigeminal ganglion. Treatment with alpha-eudesmol (0.1-1 mg/kg. i.v.) dose-dependently attenuated neurogenic vasodilation in facial skin monitored by a laser Doppler flowmetry. In addition, alpha-eudesmol (1 mg/kg. i.v.) significantly decreased dural plasma extravasation in analysis using Evans blue as a plasma marker. On the other hand, alpha-eudesmol (1 mg/kg, i.v.) did not affect mean arterial blood pressure in rats. The calcitonin gene-related peptide (CGRP) and substance P (SP) released from activated sensory nerves have recently been suggested to be associated with the neurogenic inflammation. In this study, we also showed that alpha-eudesmol (0.45-45 microM) concentration-dependently inhibits the depolarization-evoked CGRP and SP release from sensory nerve terminals in spinal cord slices. These results indicate that the anti-neurogenic inflammation action of alpha-eudesmol, which does not affect the cardiovascular system, may be due to its presynaptic inhibition of the neuropeptide release from perivascular trigeminal terminals. We also suggest that the omega-agatoxin IVA-sensitive Ca(2+) channel blocker, alpha-eudesmol, may become useful for the treatment of the neurogenic inflammation in the trigemino-vascular system such as migraine.

RobertOne

Oud Beginner
This is my unscientific, purely anecdotal post about the effects of Oud.

In my first set of reviews: http://www.ouddict.com/threads/oud-reviews.2/page-13, I did ascribe psychotropic and nootropic effects to some, but not all, Ouds I sampled.

Perhaps the one that gave me the most mental clarity was the Tigerwood 1995. This is just a totally guessy-wild-stabby in in the dark notion but I would imagine different species produce different levels of psychoactives and that other factors might be chemical change over time without oxidization and perhaps to fractionalisation during the distillation process.

What was remarkable to me was that I had no idea that Oud was supposed to be psychoactive in any way, I just bought it for the fabled scent, so what a nice bonus thrown in, I thought!

As an aside, the two most recognized beneficial oils are Rosemary (Rosmarinus Officianalis) and Sage (Salvia Officianalis).

The former seems to have strong neuroprotective properties if consumed daily.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acciaroli#Centenarians

The residents of the above village in bella Italia are noted for their consumption of a particularly pungent variety of rosemary. Average lifespan there is well above the median as well as general health & virility even amongst 80+ year old individuals.

Al Shareef Oudh

Master Perfumer
I read this today

"Ayurvedic practitioners have long used agarwood oil for its ability to provide spiritual and emotional benefits. According to Ayurvedic tradition, agarwood oil illuminates the mind and strengthens the power of thought, elevates your emotional quotient and when used in meditation can set you on the path to spiritual enlightenment. When inhaled, the fragrance of agarwood essential oil helps focus the mind and get rid of negativity."

"You can inhale a few drops directly when necessary or diffuse it next to your bed at night. Agarwood oil can help with insomnia because one of its natural compounds is valerian which is associated with its ability to promote calm and deeper sleep."

jalil

Oud bully
Agarwood have so much quality mach'Allah

AbasFrag

Oud Burner
This is such an interesting topic.

From what I've noticed there is something special with barnyard hindi ouds.

They make me feel so calm and make me sleep so much better.

Have anyone noticed this specially when it comes to Indian oud?

riviera274

Administrator and Hindi Lover
Staff member
I read this today

"Ayurvedic practitioners have long used agarwood oil for its ability to provide spiritual and emotional benefits. According to Ayurvedic tradition, agarwood oil illuminates the mind and strengthens the power of thought, elevates your emotional quotient and when used in meditation can set you on the path to spiritual enlightenment. When inhaled, the fragrance of agarwood essential oil helps focus the mind and get rid of negativity."

"You can inhale a few drops directly when necessary or diffuse it next to your bed at night. Agarwood oil can help with insomnia because one of its natural compounds is valerian which is associated with its ability to promote calm and deeper sleep."
I can say for sure that agarwood helps with my insomnia.For years when I couldnt sleep I would normally workout or take walks in the middle of the night which wasn't always safe.Now I just take a swipe of a nice Hindi and Im out like a light.

Mr.P

oud<3er
So I can't help but wonder if anyone has tried "vaping" oud oil? I wonder what a direct lungful of vaporized oud oil would do? Maybe a bad idea? I wouldn't feel safe doing this as I really don't have enough confidence in my oud oils to really even consider consuming some.

I say this because I wonder: in how many steps along the way to the consumer has the material been handled in a manner reasonably consistent with decent food or medicine preparation protocols. I mean - the cats, the stills, the condensers, the separatory funnels, the water, the storage container, the pipettes, the retail bottles... I can't imagine consuming any (though this may be an irrational aversion).

Anyway, I'd wager a good oud would have some noticeable effect if vaporized and inhaled directly.

Last edited:
Yes, there's too much handling:handwaving:
When I heat my chips I inhale lungfulls of vapor, but I believe everything should be done in moderation:Unsure:
Vaping would deliver copious amounts of oud into the lungs:( I fear some bad effects from such misuse:confused: After all, Oud is a concentrated essential oil;)

dave999

Oud Fan
You are right, @Oudamberlove . Instead of smoking it, it may be better to snort it. :confused: :Laugh:

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

In all seriousness, Oud seems to have some positive effects on mood just breathing in the aroma from a swipe on the skin. What we need to do is get government funding to test it! :Geek:
Several different types of oud.
At least 20 people for an initial scoping test. 200 if the initial results look promising.
Other scents (so you don't know whether you have oud or not).
Each test condition evaluated at least 3 times.​
Anybody with experience writing proposals?

Rasoul Salehi

True Ouddict
I am on a mission to find out with terpenes and other molecules are in which Aquilara species and what methods the artisan uses intensifies or brings them out. Each terpene is known to have a direct effect on the motion we feel. B/c it goes past blood brain barrier (BBB) -thru nasal cavity or skin- and stimulates different parts of the brain. These are well proven facts with actual research behind it. E.g limonene (zest of citrus fruits) is an uplifting energizing scent. Linalool (lavender) is a relaxant. Myrcene or humelene are sleep inducing. Pinene is energizing. For now I do not know which oud has what chemical make up but I can tell you from closely examining it in myself that there is indeed 100% a correlation as OP stated.

For me energizing day time giddy up scents are borneo, walla patta (harita, sri panda, surirenka senkoh) and Thai (or maybe just yusuf or jing Shen lu) also papua and Jerome. I find if and when I wear these in the evening I get an uplifting buzz that makes it hard for me to relax.

Vietnamese and chinese and overall any bitter medicinal oud I find mellows me and sometimes downright forces a nap regardless of time of day. I like to think WS @Kyarazen @Taha ... have some more knowledge on this. If no actual research done (I find it hard to believe) it Would be great to at least hear their experiences.