Shiningrobes

Oud Beginner
mesOUD - Malinau

There’s a famous saying, “less is more”, and it hasn’t been more evident in any oil I’ve tried like this one. I’m someone who likes to absolutely smother myself in oils, fat swiped lathered onto each wrist, forearm, neck, beard, and I’m paying the price today.

This oil opens up loud. I’m not sure if you ever had the pleasure of smelling heavily used bong water, or an ashtray full of cigarette butts left outside in the rain, but the opening of this oil will luckily have you right there!

This scent screams at you for about a minute or so, and although I found it retching, I knew there was better to come. A lovely sweet pear and melon smooth the profile out very quickly after applying. A smooth bittersweet honey drizzled over light green fruits.

I decided to do my classic big swipe on my left wrist where I was immediately assaulted by those stale stinky wet aroma. I couldn’t muster to do the same on my right, so I did a much more mild dot. My left wrist is being dominated by the ashtray opening, not allowing the fruits or honey to come out and smothering the profile. Whereas on my right wrist I’m seeing the nuances and smoothness of this oil shine. This is an oil where moderation is key.

Lesson learned haha

Edit: Not even an hour after swiping and both wrists are now smelling great. Every part of that unpleasant wet ashtray smell has completely gone away, even on the wrist with the fat swipe. Only pleasant melon and pear sweetness with a bittersweet honey. Now an earthy petrichor with hint of sweetness similar to other Sumatrans I’ve tried from Jinkoh Store. This turned out to be wayyyyy better than the opening was hinting at
Wow. I get the complete opposite of this. An almost floral, almost fruity, almost sweet opening that blooms into Kampot peppercorns and then a searing woody, pepper dryness. Just as it gets to be too much of that dry note it switches to a bizarre CLEAN note that I can only liken to ozone.

Escentually

Oud Fanatic
Wow. I get the complete opposite of this. An almost floral, almost fruity, almost sweet opening that blooms into Kampot peppercorns and then a searing woody, pepper dryness. Just as it gets to be too much of that dry note it switches to a bizarre CLEAN note that I can only liken to ozone.
So per my brothers advice, I swiped on Malinau again on my left and Bulungan on my right. I was told that these would be very similar, and that it might help me decipher these two clearer. I noticed a stark contrast in the opening. Malinau opened again with that wet ashtray note, clear as day as it was the first time I swiped. In contrast, Bulungan smelled similar, but completely lacked any wet ashtray notes. It smelled earthy, wet woods, petrichor, and like you mentioned this sort of cooling ozonic effect. It’s only further in the dry down do I notice them becoming more similar in profiles after Malinau smooths out and has more of those fruity melon w bittersweet honey. They actually both remind me a little bit in the deeper drydown of the other sumatrans I’ve tried, definitely ozonic with a wood varnish like sweetness mixing w maybe a muddy petrichor note.

Shiningrobes

Oud Beginner
So per my brothers advice, I swiped on Malinau again on my left and Bulungan on my right. I was told that these would be very similar, and that it might help me decipher these two clearer. I noticed a stark contrast in the opening. Malinau opened again with that wet ashtray note, clear as day as it was the first time I swiped. In contrast, Bulungan smelled similar, but completely lacked any wet ashtray notes. It smelled earthy, wet woods, petrichor, and like you mentioned this sort of cooling ozonic effect. It’s only further in the dry down do I notice them becoming more similar in profiles after Malinau smooths out and has more of those fruity melon w bittersweet honey. They actually both remind me a little bit in the deeper drydown of the other sumatrans I’ve tried, definitely ozonic with a wood varnish like sweetness mixing w maybe a muddy petrichor note.
So many people have raved about the Bulungan and Tarakan that they’re next on my list. The Mesoud Merauke is also pretty great. Of that the Malinau and the Pontianak it was my least favorite at first but now I’m cherishing the last bit I have left. Really I was just going to be happy with an easy Crassna and maybe a classic Assam and focus on all the floral oils I’ve bought recently but these reviews of that sample set have blown any pretense at moderation out the window.

Escentually

Oud Fanatic
So many people have raved about the Bulungan and Tarakan that they’re next on my list. The Mesoud Merauke is also pretty great. Of that the Malinau and the Pontianak it was my least favorite at first but now I’m cherishing the last bit I have left. Really I was just going to be happy with an easy Crassna and maybe a classic Assam and focus on all the floral oils I’ve bought recently but these reviews of that sample set have blown any pretense at moderation out the window.
Bulungan is really fucking good! There’s this balance of damp earthiness and warm nuttiness that melds with a sweet damp wood. I think even though the opening is so fresh and beautiful, the drydown is my favorite part. There’s no reason to not go crazy buying his oils when he’s so generous with pricing

Mr.P

oud<3er
Just swiped Harimau Malay Tigerwood from Yusa Aromatics! Instant blast back to a dark malaysian that i got in 2007 but this smells the way that malaysian oil smells now, not back in 2007. This one is quite intense, bitter and phenolic maybe some would say smokey, but in an engaging way far away from "burnt". Nice bittersweet nose grabbing scent, this one is dark soil, hot oud chips after the first rush of aroma, kind of an unsweetened espresso vibe without literally smelling of coffee.

A while back I mentioned opening this one oil after decades that had originally been very challenging to my nose, i put it in a corked bottle instead of one with a regular cap to allow some oxygen to mess with it a bit, and it had turned into something really really beautiful over the years. It was actually wonderful when I first got it but my palate was not sophisticated at the time. This is basically a near twin of that oil with all of the age already behind it. This is the first one I've smelled like it since!

Very eager to see people's descriptions of this one because it has such a distinctive scent and i am wondering which of the various ouds out there that I have missed might be like this one.

Dr B1414

True Ouddict
I have my second wearing of Huian Ko from Yusa Aromatics, 2015 distillation. This one is familiar in terms of its profile but due to regional and distillation differences (and so on) this one has its own unique vibe within that space.
This oil smelled almost identical to the Grand Emperor Tarakan from the Jinkoh Store in the opening. It was the best out of the Yusa samples and the most special for sure but was too much Deja Vu for me. Having the Tarakan felt redundant to own both. The Tarakan goes through many more distinct phases later on. I wonder if it was the same distiller who juiced those two oils. I think Marius also got that one from a Hong Kong collector IIRC.

Dr B1414

True Ouddict
This oil smelled almost identical to the Grand Emperor Tarakan from the Jinkoh Store in the opening. It was the best out of the Yusa samples and the most special for sure but was too much Deja Vu for me. Having the Tarakan felt redundant to own both. The Tarakan goes through many more distinct phases later on. I wonder if it was the same distiller who juiced those two oils. I think Marius also got that one from a Hong Kong collector IIRC.
But it was a great oil for sure, very unique and special for a Cambodi:handok::thumbsup:

Xerohome

Oud Fan
I usually do oud swipes after kyara session, because the oud oil smell is powerful on the hands, and can masks the subtle notes of kyara.
Today is a Hainan oud sent to me by a friend, I have no idea about the source, but he told me he got it from a chinese oud seller.
this is a very unique oud, it starts off with subtle cheesy, sour, sweet note like no oud I tried before. heart has a honey, dewy, ripe fruit and mango notes that is mind blowing!
the drydown has some green spicy woody notes (reminded me of Creed Green Irish Tweed if this make any sense).
it's a roller coaster indeed, like you swipped different oud every 30-60 minutes. this is a must buy for me, this one has it all, I can see myself done with Hainan oils after this one, hopefully he can score some for me.

Mr.P

oud<3er
The recent An najwa borneo is hitting different today. Today i find the opening quite reminiscent of frankincense with quite a sharp and almost piney note; there's also some kind of dominant intense sweetness that's brings the rich marzipan sweetness of thai crassna oils to mind, but is a little different and not quite smelling like marzipan.
This first stage is hard to pin down since i am perceiving it differently today than yesterday. I

A clean sweet semi tart borneo base note gradually is coming into focus as the opening fades. I'm not sure if this is a malinau profile, but it brings a couple of oils that were said to be from malinau to mind.

There is a hint of something like mint. not literally minty but it's got a certain presence in the nose that brings mint to mind. The mintiness is a little less intense in this oil than it is in a couple of malinau / borneo ouds i have.

I'll have to smell this one again because the top notes surprised me this time and it hit me differently last time - (maybe I was desensitized then or I am desensitized today from too many sniffs throughout the day) so I'm still trying to figure out what this one would wear like once i am familiar with it. I have no idea what species this is. Also not sure of its origins in terms of wood origin, age, etc..

Bay Oud

Oud Beginner
Tarakan Qadeem from Mesoud - North Kalimantan region Aquilaria Microcarpa. this is one of my favorites and everytime it hits different. it is so balanced and not one note is more dominant than the other. Today I'm getting a smokey mossy smell with a sweet caramel undertone, followed by the slight tingle of citrus notes towards the end of the inhale

Mike Jonez

Oud Fan
Tarakan Qadeem from Mesoud - North Kalimantan region Aquilaria Microcarpa. this is one of my favorites and everytime it hits different. it is so balanced and not one note is more dominant than the other. Today I'm getting a smokey mossy smell with a sweet caramel undertone, followed by the slight tingle of citrus notes towards the end of the inhale
Have you tried his Sarawak Ateeq ? Same species , it's really really good !

Escentually

Oud Fanatic
mesOUD - Puruk Caho

Swiping some Wild a. malaccensis from the Eastern Kalimantan region today. This oil is much different to me that the Northern Kalimantan oils I was swiping yesterday.

Opens up sour and sweet, like a jammy Thai. Feels like some honey drizzled on top of overripe fruit. This lasts for all about a minute until the scent transforms, jammy sweetness turning into more of a blonde tobacco sweet. Peat and earthy forest soil tones change the character of the sweet aroma, making it more rugged. There’s hints of leather and a spicy incense smoke wafting through the scent. From afar and in brief whiffs it’s all rich tobacco and soil, then once you sit on the scent for a little longer that tangy resinous sweet backbone begins to dominate the profile. This is all in the first 20 minutes or so, I can’t wait to see how it continues to evolve. I can see the resinous jammy sweetness already beginning to fade as it continues to sit on the skin, with more of those smoky, leather, and earthy blonde tobacco notes beginning to take the reigns.

Goodness Nose

True Ouddict
i love oudhs that smell like a color. this co-distillation paints a whole desert oasis! light khaki sand, clear water, something sweet in the wind, and the plants boarding this vidid pool of colors otherwise surrounded by dunes!

Attachments

• 20240611_074043.jpg
    20240611_074043.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 21

Mike Jonez

Oud Fan
Unfortunately the sarawak ateeq came in stock after I had purchased my sampler set. How does it compare to tarakan qadeem?
Tbh I haven't spent much time with it but from what I remember they share similar nuances , SA is so much better imo though. I actually don't like TQ at all lol it's my least fave of everything I smelled from Mehmet. Also they share the same species of wood.

Mike Jonez

Oud Fan
@mesOUD - Vietking

Whether you call it "cooling blast" or "Kinamic" the opening is 🤯 & it stays that way for a long time. After that initial blast starts to settle a crassna red hue subtly appears.
What's unique to this oil that I never experienced with any other oil is wherever you apply it leaves a cooling sensation on your skin. This is a solid oil , I can't wait to see how it develops in 5-10 years. Mehmet said it's not even 40% of its full potential !

Mike Jonez

Oud Fan
@mesOUD - Bulungan

Was in the mood for some of this after talking with brother @Escentually about it. This is greatness in a bottle ! From the unique opening to the mind boggling transition. It keeps you intrigued & wanting more & it's fucking addictive ! This is easily worth double imo & I'd gladly pay it if I had to. If you haven't sampled this yet I strongly advise , I haven't sampled his entire lineup but of the few I have this is hands down my fave along with Vietking !

Shouts to my brother Mehmet !

mesOUD

Resident Artisan
@mesOUD - Bulungan

Was in the mood for some of this after talking with brother @Escentually about it. This is greatness in a bottle ! From the unique opening to the mind boggling transition. It keeps you intrigued & wanting more & it's fucking addictive ! This is easily worth double imo & I'd gladly pay it if I had to. If you haven't sampled this yet I strongly advise , I haven't sampled his entire lineup but of the few I have this is hands down my fave along with Vietking !

Shouts to my brother Mehmet !
İ hear u bro 🙌
More than 6 months i was not visiting this gem,yesterday i also applied a fat swipe and fall in love again,and belive me i checked my subitism if i forgot it burning,aged very nicely after my last visit

Last edited: