Fragdoctor

Oud Fan
@mesOUD - Vietking

Whether you call it "cooling blast" or "Kinamic" the opening is 🤯 & it stays that way for a long time. After that initial blast starts to settle a crassna red hue subtly appears.
What's unique to this oil that I never experienced with any other oil is wherever you apply it leaves a cooling sensation on your skin. This is a solid oil , I can't wait to see how it develops in 5-10 years. Mehmet said it's not even 40% of its full potential !
Im glad you went for it.

Dr B1414

True Ouddict
Jinkoh Store Grand Emperor of Kedah From hate to deep appreciation, awe, respect, and big like. The demise of this oil at first sniff was doing a side-by-side with Kedah 1. And expecting this to be that, but "better". It's nothing like Kedah 1. It's a standalone oil scent-wise. Just like Ahmad, O Salahuddin. If I were to describe it in a few words I'd be a damp wine cellar, Merlot Red Wine, medicinal, maybe even gauze. It doesn't sound appealing, but it is. Smooth, deep, rich, and arresting.

EO Yunnan Royale straight off the bat makes me think of smoky Lapsang tea served with some honey and lemon(orange zest here). Rich and resinous. A smoky oil. Has a strong tannic tea-like quality balanced by honey. I struggle with smokey perfumes, and scents, as well as oud oils so I don't care for this one.

EO Oud Isa bright, luminous Hindi oud. Mediterranean feel in the opening with orange zest, plenty of aromatic herbs, and pine. A bit of barn in the opening that fades away. Slightly musky, in a sexy way. The "clay" accord is strong in this oil. Lots of hay, dusty vanilla, and honey to offset some of its dryness. Feels like taking a ride on the Mediterranean shore only to be reminded soon after that you are actually in the Indian countryside on a hot arid day. Unique oil for an Indian breed.

EO Oud Nuh dark, the total opposite of Isa. Dark and sexy. It hints at Meghalaya 1977 big time for me. Shares that purple sweet berries, the dry, dusty leather, and the dark incense smoke. However, it is not as deep and robust, it doesn't smell as ancient, and has a bit of barn in the opening whereas Meghalaya 77 has none. The barn is mild and fades away quickly, just like with Oud Isa. If Meghalaya 1977 is Don Corleone, Nuh is Michael Corleone. I see why so many oldies praise this one. It is amazing. I prefer it to Isa although they are total opposites. Has more of a mischievous edge to it.

McOudtrade

True Ouddict
Tbh I haven't spent much time with it but from what I remember they share similar nuances , SA is so much better imo though. I actually don't like TQ at all lol it's my least fave of everything I smelled from Mehmet. Also they share the same species of wood.
Just got to defend my boy TQ and add that it's all a matter of taste! Case in point TQ was literally my favorite of all 36 samples, got two bottles, while SA actually ranked at the bottom (for ME) 😅
My guess as to what this means is they're both very special oils BUT they actually don't share as much similarly as you thought. I wouldn't compare them directly anyway especially with age difference.

Escentually

Oud Fanatic
mesOUD - Meleka

I believe this is the first sinensis oil I have ever smelled neat, and from Malaysia of all places! Opens up extremely bitter to me, very medicinal and almost like a vetiver mixed with some sort of hospital chemical you shouldn’t be smelling. I think the chemical I’m looking for is iodine, for some reason this scent reminds me of that, although I’m not sure I’ve ever smelled iodine before. There’s a bit of a citrus and honey sweet aspect to it, but I wouldn’t dare say this is a sweet oil in the opening. After a couple minutes I get an earthy clay, and fairly dry and indolic white florals. I believe this is the chemical like scent shapeshifting into an earthy and bitter clay mixed with those heady jasmine like florals.

I’m incredibly interested in this species, as the first oud composition I fell in love with was Chinese Oud from Russian Adam. So I will be paying close attention to this oil and how it develops.

Mike Jonez

Oud Fan
Just got to defend my boy TQ and add that it's all a matter of taste! Case in point TQ was literally my favorite of all 36 samples, got two bottles, while SA actually ranked at the bottom (for ME) 😅
My guess as to what this means is they're both very special oils BUT they actually don't share as much similarly as you thought. I wouldn't compare them directly anyway especially with age difference.
Lol yea like I said I haven't spent much time with TQ I literally only smelled it once & didn't pay much attention to it. All I remember is some a similar nuance like a dark coffee or chocolate sweetness , very broad I know. I should've been more specific , if I smelled it again I'd prob feel otherwise who knows.

Mike Jonez

Oud Fan
mesOUD - Meleka

I believe this is the first sinensis oil I have ever smelled neat, and from Malaysia of all places! Opens up extremely bitter to me, very medicinal and almost like a vetiver mixed with some sort of hospital chemical you shouldn’t be smelling. I think the chemical I’m looking for is iodine, for some reason this scent reminds me of that, although I’m not sure I’ve ever smelled iodine before. There’s a bit of a citrus and honey sweet aspect to it, but I wouldn’t dare say this is a sweet oil in the opening. After a couple minutes I get an earthy clay, and fairly dry and indolic white florals. I believe this is the chemical like scent shapeshifting into an earthy and bitter clay mixed with those heady jasmine like florals.

I’m incredibly interested in this species, as the first oud composition I fell in love with was Chinese Oud from Russian Adam. So I will be paying close attention to this oil and how it develops.
Another one of his best , Incense beast !

Mr.P

oud<3er
What's SA short for?

Arabiad07

True Ouddict
Jinkoh Store Grand Emperor of Kedah From hate to deep appreciation, awe, respect, and big like. The demise of this oil at first sniff was doing a side-by-side with Kedah 1. And expecting this to be that, but "better". It's nothing like Kedah 1. It's a standalone oil scent-wise. Just like Ahmad, O Salahuddin. If I were to describe it in a few words I'd be a damp wine cellar, Merlot Red Wine, medicinal, maybe even gauze. It doesn't sound appealing, but it is. Smooth, deep, rich, and arresting.

EO Yunnan Royale straight off the bat makes me think of smoky Lapsang tea served with some honey and lemon(orange zest here). Rich and resinous. A smoky oil. Has a strong tannic tea-like quality balanced by honey. I struggle with smokey perfumes, and scents, as well as oud oils so I don't care for this one.

EO Oud Isa bright, luminous Hindi oud. Mediterranean feel in the opening with orange zest, plenty of aromatic herbs, and pine. A bit of barn in the opening that fades away. Slightly musky, in a sexy way. The "clay" accord is strong in this oil. Lots of hay, dusty vanilla, and honey to offset some of its dryness. Feels like taking a ride on the Mediterranean shore only to be reminded soon after that you are actually in the Indian countryside on a hot arid day. Unique oil for an Indian breed.

EO Oud Nuh dark, the total opposite of Isa. Dark and sexy. It hints at Meghalaya 1977 big time for me. Shares that purple sweet berries, the dry, dusty leather, and the dark incense smoke. However, it is not as deep and robust, it doesn't smell as ancient, and has a bit of barn in the opening whereas Meghalaya 77 has none. The barn is mild and fades away quickly, just like with Oud Isa. If Meghalaya 1977 is Don Corleone, Nuh is Michael Corleone. I see why so many oldies praise this one. It is amazing. I prefer it to Isa although they are total opposites. Has more of a mischievous edge to it.
Grand EOK is a vast departure from emperor of Kedah. But it’s special. Red medicinal, sour fruits. It’s great

Escentually

Oud Fanatic
mesOUD - Sumbawa Black

My first gyrinops versteegii oil neat and its quite different than the oils I’ve tried before. A vaporous polished leather fills your nose upon swiping. Very heady and almost overwhelming. Almost like stepping into a new car made completely of supple leather. There’s a sweetness that begins to come out steadily alongside that fumed leather scent. Bits of smoke and burning woods start to pop out here and there too. Really clean oil and I can see this being an easy reach for a crowd pleasing non-offensive oud. Something you can bathe in before going into the office.

Edit: from fumet polished leather, to a slightly smoky sweet leather, to as slightly soily earthy leather. Top down this is a leather oil to me, beautiful in its scent from start to finish. I can see this fitting a businessman in a well tailored suit.

Last edited:

-Renton-

True Ouddict
mesOUD - Sumbawa Seufi

Wow, quite a nice oil here tbh, a wild, rare Gryinops species that isn't extremely complex and coming out with different notes here there and everywhere, not saying those oils that do that are bad, they aren't, it is just refreshing to smell an oil like this, that is elegant, soothing and smooth, that builds up the strengths of the notes, some notes slowly fall away, and the connection with the oil and your personal self is very high. Not saying you dont get different notes, you do, but not many, but another thing is (and you have to wear this to understand), the notes that come across as the same notes in typing form in this oil, actually change within themselves in some ways, it is quite a spiritual oil, in a way.

BEWARE - First Impression of a complex yet simple noted oil 😂:

It starts out with a nice, sweet like candy note that quickly evolves into a beautiful sweet, balsamic, musky oceanic, ambergris like note (that I can still smell over 3 hours later, although it has went through different stages), as well as notes of very rich, premium, tobacco, with a light creamy smokey note, these notes continue for a while then as it develops over the course of the first 30-60 mins the tobacco note slowly fades but the other note doesnt, and you get introduced into a nice (somewhat) powdery ethereal sky blue / white florals for a bit, with this oceanic musky ambergris note combing with everything, you get notes of the aloeswood that is quite similar to Walla Patta with its greenery, but also very different and hard to describe beyond that, notes of spices like the woody clove, and the nose tingling coriander, clean earthiness, or shall I say more appropriately, SANDINESS, comes into play with all these notes mixing together. After a couple hours you start to become one with this oil in a sense that it takes on your personality and you will smell what you smell, for me it was a "cologne" note that I am sure(?) everyone here is aware of, but I feel like I smelled this cologne somewhere in the past, but cant quite put my finger on where and the ambergris-like oceanic musky note, which goes through many evolutions that you cant get across through text.

All in all first impression of this oil was so good I put 0.5g in my basket on 'met's store!!!

Sproaty

Sproudy
Staff member
Pontianak by Mesoud. Like my 3rd time to wear this in the past few days because I swiped it randomly before bed a few nights ago and got nothing but patchouli. So I've been re-testing it a few times to see if that still happens...and yup. Earthy, damp patchouli.
On a walk during a lunch break it did change a bit, went more sweet and non-patchouli like (lol) but now it's almost 12hrs later and just, well...patchouli. Anyone else experienced this with this oil?

I also swiped on something else from him but can't even remember what now 🤣 so inattentive

haven't posted in here for a while but still wearing 2 oils a day during the working week but no writeups. It's such a passive hobby to me, mad to think of the tens of thousands that I've spent 😂

Fragdoctor

Oud Fan
EO Assam 3000 as the swipe to bed tonight - jammy, resinous and honeyed warmth lifting beautifully from a core of Assamese profile. I’m not sure if this makes sense in terms of distillation or not but I think the wood used was in 70:30 ratio with 70 not soaked and 30 soaked.
It’s clean and then it’s not. It’s not clean and then it is. I have another thought here, the wood is also 70:30 in terms of country with 70 upper Assam and 30 Bengal.
Interesting oil. Good one.

Sproaty

Sproudy
Staff member
Yes! In fact things that you cannot detect will become detectable with repeated exposure in some cases. I recall reading about this in the book the Emperor of Scent, which talks about some of the amazing attributes and unsolved questions about the function of the olfactory system

So in this case the problem is that I don't know which one it is. I assume it's a little bit of the oil maturing plus a little bit of my olfactory system adapting, but it's kind of important to know because I don't want to smell like garbage to the average person I pass ha ha

Let's say I put a dab of this on and go to the local coffee shop. Do I smell like rotten wood and cheese, or paradise? No way for me to tell without a test subject who has never smelled it :)

A girl in work always tells me that I smell like a wooden floor/varnish/museum whenever I go to her desk and have recently swiped oud, no matter the oil region.
It's interesting - when I started out in 2018 I got "into" Hindi oils and very quickly acustomed to that barnyard stink. I went a long time without wearing any and stuff that I thought was pretty tame was now super strong, fecal and pretty hard to wear
I get the same with red wine - I hardly drink it (or any other alcohol really) but I've had periods where I was drinking it often and could handle the taste easily. After a long time without any then it becomes really sharp and tangy, like a sip is overwhelming and I need to sorta close my eyes and smack my lips together type of reaction