1. Please excuse us while we carrying out important changes to the forum.

Oud of the Month - April

Discussion in 'Oud of the Year 2017' started by Ouddict, Apr 3, 2017.

1. Ouddict

Ouddict Forum Co-Founder & Tech Support

Please read the rules carefully before submitting your recommendations below for shortlisting.

Remember that you have until the 15th of this month to submit a recommendation, after which polls will open and no more recommendations will be accepted.

Note that recommendations not as per the rules will not be considered.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  2. Ouddict

To start discussions off... my recommendations are:

Al Shareef Oudh: Al Shareef I

For the Wild Oud of the month, my recommendation is Alshareef I. I had the honour of smelling it from a sample vial and was dumbstruck. Oud is not meant to smell like this. It challenges the possibilities of what Oud could or should be and is hands down on a higher plane that some of the best Oud "Legends" I own.

I think the key differential between Ouds labelled "Legends" and Ouds that really are legendary is the skill and heritage of the distiller. The Alshareef I is clearly crafted by someone who is steeped in the art of Oud distillation, having been brought up in a family who has been perfecting their art for generations.

Given its price point, an honourable mention must go to Kedah Thaqeel by Imperial Oud. I was kindly sent a free sample by Faisal and it has a note that I have not personally come across before. Smooth, suave and sophisticated, its a bargain at $289. I am surprised it is not part of their top Zenith Range. I honestly think that this Oud could easily sit at a $550 - $800 range if sold through other vendors.

Imperial Oud: Fragrant Harbour
    My Organic Oud of the month is Fragrant Harbour. WOW is all I can say!!! I own Kyara LTD, Kyara Koutan and other fantastic Ouds from Ensar Oud. Up to this date, I had never come across any other vendor who could produce an Oud with the same "Kinamic" green top note. Of course, as the Kyara expert KZ mentioned, none of these have real kinam in them, but they sure do smell superb. Fragrant Harbour has joined that pantheon for me.

It isn't that the other vendors can't match the notes I am talking about here, but I have not come across them... until now. If you missed out on the Ouds of yesteryear, you will not be disappointed with Fragrant Harbour. Does it smell the same? The top note from the dipstick certainly does. Where it is let down, is the drydown where the freshness of the oil is evident.

However, at $195, it is a "no-brainer" and this is an Oud that will improve dramatically with age.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  3. Ouddict

Looking forward to other recommendations before the polls open....

4. i didnt try alshareef 1 before but im getting soon sample from IO FH

5. Ouddict

FH has a beautiful opening top note, but it's still a fresh oil. Well worth the money if you can wait for it to age.

So @Mandeel AlMandeel, what are your recommendations for Wild Oud of the month and Organic Oud of the month?

Each member is allowed to post a recommendation for this month, which is then selected for a poll that will start on the 15th. The winning Oud for Wild Oud and Organic Oud of the month are announced on the last day of the month.

Mandeel AlMandeel likes this.
  6. Alkhadra

Alkhadra "Master Kafeel" Resident Artisan

Do the oils have to be recently released to recommend them or can they be any Oud?

My recommendations:

Organic: Sinensis - IO

Wild: Tigerwood Royale - EO

7. Ouddict

As per the rules, any oil released after 2015 (we may reconsider this cut off date if people give feedback)

Mandeel AlMandeel and Alkhadra like this.
  8. riviera274

riviera274 Administrator and Hindi Lover Staff Member

I recommend

Organic - Feel Oud Mai Bo Rai (this 1 is aging beautifully)

Wild - Ensar Oud Tigerwood 95 (have to go with 95 as it was a bargain for price)

9. Habz786

Habz786 Resident Artisan & Forum Co-Founder

Wild- Sultan Ahmet

Organic- ASO Hind

10. Habz786

Habz786 Resident Artisan & Forum Co-Founder

Please vote for your Oud of the month if you have not already done so, it will be interesting to see which Ouds are popular each month

Thank you

11. IM_AU

IM_AU Oud Fan

I will go with AlShareef 'Aasiya'
    We've seen many distillation techniques from various sources but this oil is something special and unique. I personally term it 'Oudh Art in the bottle'.

12. Ouddict

Thanks for your recommendation! Is that for the wild Oud category or organic?

We have two categories so you can recommend one of each if you wish. ;)

13. IM_AU

IM_AU Oud Fan

Well this is another unique feature of this oil... it contains different wild oils and one organic. So I will recommend this one oil into both categories if possible.
    Thanks

14. Ouddict

Oh!! Never considered that! I do have a hybrid like that too... Khao Yai Experiment from EO

15. Ouddict

According to the vendor, is the Agarwood Assam Oud wild or organic?

16. Ouddict

Ok, it can pass as either... so we can take it as an Organic here..

17. Ouddict

:oops:

I did not read the first quote. This Oud is wild, so no issues we will put it under the 'wild' category

18. hedycent

hedycent True Ouddict

May I suggest a reclassification?
    Wild v's organic is not a great combination.
    Wild trees are organic unless someone inoculated it.
    Organic trees can be either wild or cultivated.
    Headings of wild v's cultivated would aid clarity.
    Organic and inorganic could be subsections of cultivated
    There is a total absence of organic standards in a lot of cultivated aquilaria
    The trees Zak has termed homegrown are technically cultivated but bluer the conceptual lines between wild and cultivated. As do seedling planted organically in wild jungles and left to themselves

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
    Ouddict and PEARL like this.
  19. hedycent

hedycent True Ouddict

Cultivated Oud of my month- funk master by Adam

20. Ouddict

We're open to suggestions... but too many categories will be confusing. Two seems to be a struggle to many already. So what categories do you suggest? I'm guessing the following?

1. Wild organic
    2. Wild chemically treated / innoculated
    3. Plantation organic
    4. Plantation chemically treated / innoculated

I'm not going to get into the classifications of what is wild. I will go with the vendor classification of what they consider wild or plantation.

Promote Oud!